Starboard Gate

Reaction score
On my previous pontoon (non Bennington), I had 4 gates and it was very convenient for docking and loading/unloading off any side of the boat. It seems most pontoons now-a-days rarely have a starboard gate.

The dock space I rent ties to the boat on the starboard side. I found it super easy, especially if I was by myself, to line up and then quickly jump out the starboard gate to tie up. On a windy day with some current, sometimes you only have a few seconds before the boat starts drifting away.

For those who dock on the starboard side with no gate, how do you find docking by yourself or how quickly can you get off the boat to tie up?

Thanks

Welcome! We have a lift. I guess I would jump over the rail (but never tried it ). Stay tuned you will get some good replies.

Welcome to the forum WD! Are you able to back in so you can utilize the portside gate? Or just use the front gate and quickly tie up then go the back and tie up???

Backing in would be tricky as the shore line is right at the end of the dock and gets shallow really quickly. I think the motor would bottom out.

Backing in would be tricky as the shore line is right at the end of the dock and gets shallow really quickly. I think the motor would bottom out.
I understand. I guess you'll just have to go out the front gate and tie up. You got it!

My 2012 R has 3 gates: Front, Port and Rear. At our dock we pulll straight in and it also has fingers on both sides we only use the front gate and then exit straight out. Of course we could also exit port or starboard thru the front gate or the same using the rear gate. Usually the rear gate is used when we swim or float

I line up, pull into my slip until I can step over the starboard rail onto the dock and walk it in from there. Downside is I’m 6’3 and it’s a stretch for me some days. If you’re on the shorter side I’d line her up and shoot out the gate on the bow I guess

On my previous pontoon (non Bennington), I had 4 gates and it was very convenient for docking and loading/unloading off any side of the boat. It seems most pontoons now-a-days rarely have a starboard gate.

The dock space I rent ties to the boat on the starboard side. I found it super easy, especially if I was by myself, to line up and then quickly jump out the starboard gate to tie up. On a windy day with some current, sometimes you only have a few seconds before the boat starts drifting away.

For those who dock on the starboard side with no gate, how do you find docking by yourself or how quickly can you get off the boat to tie up?

Thanks
After a questionable decision that I made last summer trying to dock on a fairly windy day, this is what I did. I took a docking hook and added a line to the handle with a hook tied to the end of the line. When I'm by myself, I use the hook to grab a cleat on the dock, then pull myself to the dock. I then 'hook' the hook to the pin where the front bimini pole would normally attach to which is right next to the helm, which is close to the middle of my pontoon. There is about a foot of space between the dock and my bumpers. Once the hook is attached, I can take my time (not rush) and safely get onto the dock from the bow. Then I tie up as I normally would.
My boat is all wrapped up and stored for the winter, but will take a pic of my set up in the spring if I remember.

There's a lot of "hooks" in your post... Are you talking about two hooks, one being the boat hook, and one being a separate hook at the end of a line?

So... You are basically using the Bimini connector pin on the fence rail as a temporary boat cleat? Am I picturing this right?

That is an intriguing idea. A mid ship cleat would be awesome on my boat, but there is no room for one...

Is your front Bimini clip right at the center of your boat? I think it would be close to dead center on mine, but will have to look at some old pics...

This may be a really helpful tip for me as i boat alone 2/3rds of the time.

Last edited:
Back