Steering Power Hydraulic Assist - or not?

tfrojd

Reaction score
My wife and I are finalizing our order for a 23GSB with a 200hp Yamaha and were wondering if the steering power hydraulic assist option ($3,000 upgrade) is worth the investment? We get conflicting answers from the two dealers we have talked to - one says "absolutely" and the other says "you don't need it - waste of money". Help!

I just ordered a Bennington with a 250 and both my dealer and the Bennington rep said they wouldn't sell me the boat without. Said I would never be happy without it. Now I didn't push it so can't say that their statement's were definitive, but I can see that driving a boat with that HP would be hard without it. If you wanted to do anything other than straight-line cruising. I'd say you need it for a 200HP. Good luck.

Our 2015 23G w/200HP doesn’t have it and we’ve been fine for 3 1/2 seasons...

We just finished up our first month on the new 2019 25Q which does have it, and boy what a difference...

I could never go back...

I added it to our boat way back after driving a similar boat that had it. BIG difference!

I'm guessing that we will be pulling "tubers" behind the pontoon.

I have also found it to be a real benefit while docking...

Some of the isles in the Marina at Havasu are really narrow and having quick responses while going back & forth between forward and reverse is really sweet...

Big thumbs up for power steering. It changes the entire boating experience from docking, cruising water sports etc. I wouldn’t be without it. I believe your comes with an extended aft deck if not get it, you’ll be glad you did.

Big thumbs up for power steering. It changes the entire boating experience from docking, cruising water sports etc. I wouldn’t be without it. I believe your comes with an extended aft deck if not get it, you’ll be glad you did.

Totally agree with Mike - changes the entire boat driving experience!

We have a 200 HP with it, and we tube constantly in the summer. I would not want to tube without it. It is such a convenient difference maker. I too also find it to be a nice bonus when docking on our lift or navigating other tricky areas.

Having driven with and without it when we used to rent Tritoons when on vacation, I personally would get it with 150hp or more because I like the power assist steering so much. However, I think for many the general rule of thumb is to absolutely get it with 200hp.

If you haven't performed a search of the forums, now would be the time. All the info you need will pop up.

Upgrade to power assist. We initially ordered ours with just hydraulic, after multiple leaks we had the power assist added. Night and day difference. You can use one finger in power turns instead of two hands. We have a 200hp as well

Ever try to parallel park an old pick-up truck without power steering, not fun. Big outboards are kinda the same. IMO power assist steering on an outboard is the best option ever invented.
I have - no fun. Thanks!

Someone has to explain dealers to me. Yes, get the poawer assist. It is awesome. Bennington even recommends it on motors 200 HP and above. You will not regret it enhances the performance of the boat.

Someone has to explain dealers to me. Yes, get the poawer assist. It is awesome. Bennington even recommends it on motors 200 HP and above. You will not regret it enhances the performance of the boat.
Thanks - I'm receiving a consistent response. Too bad the dealers aren't!

Actually, it’s recommended at 150HP and up.

8BC56268-482B-4760-B3BD-B7EAB87BDA26.png

I think that the biggest question that only you can answer, is having fingertip steering control worth the extra $3000 you're going to spend for it. Many of us with similar boat configurations have decided that it was not worth all the extra dollars, but how we use our boats can differ dramatically.

Only you can know whether or not it's worth the dollars.

$3k is MSRP so it should be less than that I believe. I posted a video a couple weeks ago and there was a scene where I am pulling up to a local dock where I had to do some quick back and forth. Not sure if that would give you any context but it does help for docking. Especially for me down here having to fight tides and wind.

Back