Steering Power Hydraulic Assist - or not?

If I remember correctly I paid around $1850 to have it added on before I had it commissioned.

As always, different strokes for different folks. While you can obviously get along without it, like many have already stated it is recommended by Bennington starting at 150HP and makes maneuvering the boat rather effortless. And should you pull a Derek, I think it will make your boat even more saleable.

I have the Power Assist option on our 22SSX w 150 Yamaha. I find it difficult when docking as the system seems to hinder rapid steering wheel turns and it seems to “whine” a lot. However I don’t have any experience without it. So does my experience sound about right?

I think it makes docking much easier because of the responsiveness of the steering to move the motor. I don’t have much of a whine at all. I can hardly hear it.

Mine whines too when turning fast.

I'm one that did not opt to fork over $2500-$3000 for the power assist when we ordered our new Bennington with a 150hp. At high speed it does take two hands to turn it quickly but I wouldn't say it's particularly difficult. I don't expect any problem with water sports and docking was no problem - at least no problem that power steering would fix :).

That said, I wouldn't go above 150hp without it.

Mine 150 doesn’t have it, but I do have the suicide ball on the wheel that makes turning so much easier than it was without it. When I dock, I stand up, and tilt steering wheel up to flat, and it will almost turn itself due to being easy. But as stated, to each his own.

Back