Steering Problem

skeptic

Reaction score
This past week we were on vacation on the lake. We had the boat out from Wednesday through Sun with a variety of water conditions. First day the water was like glass, nice and calm and the boat ran great with five adults on board. The next day the lake conditions were the same but I added four more adults and I could sure tell the difference in how the boat ran. I played around with the trim and speed in order to fine the best sound/ride. On Saturday the water was very choppy due to the wind and traffic on the water but I was back down to five adults and the boat handled very well once again. I learned a lot about the boat being on it all those days but one thing that still concerns me is the steering. It just doesn't steer very easy no matter how many people are on board or the water conditions. At times it takes a tremendous amount of effort just to turn the boat with one hand/arm and at other times it takes both hands to turn the wheel. Sometimes, I notice its easier turning left than right (I think). I believe the Sea Star Steering would be much easier to steer. My brother-in-law has a little bigger tritoon (another brand) and I can steer it with one finger. I would like to hear from others with this same type of steering. When I take the boat in for it's 10 hour service I'm gonna ask the dealer to check it out. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the 2275 FSI with ESP 150 hp. The ESP packages includes power assist but not power steering. I also find the steering to be stiff. From what I understand the actual power steering makes it alot easier to turn but not sure I want to spend the money for it.

Outboard engines without power steering can be very trim sensitive to engine torque. We have a 115 Merc with hydraulic steering on our 22' and find that I need to trim up slightly or the steering feels locked. Any bigger sized engine and I would have gone with the electric power assist.

Dad has the FSI 2275 with a 225 Yamaha and sea star. To me, it is a bit stiff in steering as speed increases. I don't know what might make it better.

My RCW 2275 has the 250 Mercury Verado with its own internal power steering. I have to say it is the best thing since sliced bread. One finger steering and all that jazz. I am impressed with this one.

Hey skeptic,

Great looking toon you have there.

With the 150hp engine, the SeaStar steering would be of great help. We have a Yamaha 250 sho on the back of our RCW 2275 with the Seastar steering And the power assist which make it easy to steer. I had to think hard about spending the extra coin on these options but glad I did. Perhaps this is something your dealer could look into for you.

Do you have the std. SeaStar hydraulic steering alone or does it also have the power assist unit? If it does have the power assist, then the unit is not working properly or not working at all if it still steers hard. It should steer basically with one finger. Hydraulic steering is stiff w/o power assist. We started pulling tubes last year with our tritoon and discovered that the constant turning back and forth was quite the workout, so I added the power assist unit to my SeaStar hydraulic system this year. I was very happy the first time out.....it steered sooooo easy. The second time out the power assist unit quit working. After a quick check of the electrical and hydraulic components, I discovered that the 40 amp fuse in the cable that runs to the battery had blown. I believe that it somehow got wet from the rain during our last trip. I replaced the fuse and have had no issues since. Check the basics.....connections and fuses, and if you can't locate the problem, take it to your dealer.
Apparently I just have the standard SeaStar steering. I didn't realize it would take so much effort to turn the boat. How much coin are we talking about to upgrade to the power assist? I'll be taking it back in to the dealer in the next week or two for service so I will inquire about it then. Thanks to you and the others for their reply.

I pick up my 2275 RCW this weekend with a 150 optimax pro xs. Not sure what to expect with sea star hyd. Steering. My last boat,25 foot Wellcraft with a 250hp had hyd steering andwas never more then a 1 handed operation

todd

This was a source of confusion for me when I was shopping because initially I thought Sea Star was hydraulic steering that would yield finger tip steering but then I learned you must add the power assist for finger tip steering. Standard seastar is hydraulic however you act in place of the hydraulic pump (your arms turn the wheel which compresses the cylinder) thus the reason it is still stiff.

I went ahead and bit the bullet and added the inline power assist pump and boy was that a good idea. It was about a $1700 option on build day which is fairly expensive but soooooooo worth it. IMO

I have a Yamaha f150 on a 2075 glitch with ESP and was thinking about adding power steering as well. I find the seastar pretty stiff and I tube and ski a ton. Us it fully electric so the there is no draw on the motor?

Back