Stereo and Amplifier upgrade

JIm_Andrea

Reaction score
So I've got the boat out of the water for its annual service and deep cleaning.  Im looking into doing a serious upgrade to my stereo system and need a little help.  Im leaning towards a JL Audio system with a Fusion head unit. I plan on adding the JL Audio M800/8v2 amp, custom enclosure for a 10" JL sub firing down behind the drivers chair, Fusion 650 3 zone head unit.  My question is I currently have a single battery setup.  I plan on adding stereo batteries isolated from the main system with external charger at the dock. According to a battery calculator i found and using the max amperage draw of the amplifier at 80amps i would need a 212AH agm battery to run the stereo at full volume for 1 hour. Now that will NEVER happen but i can't find anything that tells me what the amp draw is at lets say half power.  I would assume less then 40 amps but even that would require over 300AH worth of batteries to run the stereo for 4 hours continuous. Does anyone have a similar setup or any suggestions as to the number of and type of battery to get for this setup?  I will be using my existing battery to run all my LED lights and head unit. I am slightly limited on space for the additional batteries as I don't have the center fuel tank even though I have the ESP package ( got a great deal on the boat used so I deal with it ). I can add batteries under the other lounger but my wife insists on keeping the changing room. 

I have two JL Audio M1000/5v2 with 6 speakers and two 10' subs.  I can run them all day fairly loud and not have any issues with just using one battery.  I do have a dual battery setup and manual switch, but I've never had my battery run down so much that I needed to switch over to another one.  Good luck with the JL's!  Be sure and get the M's, not the MX's.  The MX's are great without an amp, but if your spending the extra on an amp, the M series will give you a much better sound.

Back