Stereo Wired Remote Options

AndrewG

Reaction score
Hello all,

My new Bennington is in the final stages of configuration at the dealer and there is small stereo issue.  The stereo on the boat is a Sony Marine stereo with the wired Sony marine remote (RMX-60M model) on the dash, and one added at the rear near the deck.  This is the remote with the LCD display showing song information.

Problem is, apparently, that these remotes really only fully function with older Sony stereos.  Few of the stereos with Bluetooth built in have full functionality with these remotes.  I saw few, but it may be none.  I was looking at a new Sony head unit that was just a receiver with Bluetooth (no CD, as I use my MP3 player for everything), but it is not fully functional with the remote.  It looks like it will control volume, but not advance the songs, and not display the information on the LCD panel.

So, my question to the masses here on this board is what alternatives are out there that you know of?  Is there a Sony fix or adapter or something that addresses this?  Is there another manufacturer for stereo plus remote I should be looking at?  As I looked around, it seems that perhaps the days of wired marine stereo remote controls might be fading as more people just use their phones/MP3 players to control things.

I guess I can get by with just having volume control, and use my phone for the rest, I just wanted it to be as functional as possible, since I'm paying a pretty penny for this set-up.

Any information would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

Are you having a new Benny built?  If so, they aren't using Sony any longer.  They've gone to Kicker.  The new Kicker deck is bluetooth compatible and the remotes work as they should with it.

It sounds like he might be buying a leftover.

Yes, it's dealer stock. 

I think I have it sorted out now, I'm going with a different brand altogether. 

Thanks!

Andrew

Boat or stereo?

Different brand of stereo, not boat.  I'm sticking with the boat.

Going with a Clarion stereo and then the wired remote at the helm, and another added wired remote near the transom.  We do a lot beaching and floating behind the boat.  I also added speakers installed in the back facing outward so those in the water can have music, while it is quiet(er) for those up in the boat (usually the ladies).  We used to do it with one of those Ion Block Rocker stereos (on our previous Sweetwater pontoon), and just put that on the back facing the water...but when customizing a new boat, I said, "what the hell" and just did it up right the first time.

Andrew

I wondered the same as Lakeliving, boat or stereo; You certainly did it right

Last edited by a moderator:
Back