Stock speakers

bwsdj

Reaction score
Hi, I searched the forum but was unable to find what I was looking for.  I want to know if the "stock bennington "speakers are decent or if the kicker Upgrade is a big difference?  

Thanks 

I have never heard the "stock" speakers ,1st Bennington I had the Kickers ,I was happy with them .

On this one I have the Wet Sounds 

I'm interested to see some feedback on this as well.  I spent my upgrade money in other areas, and just assumed the stock speakers and system would be good enough (I certainly don't need to be the loudest on the lake, but quality sound is important).  Let you know in a week or so when I take delivery.

I changed the stock  stereo and speakers in the 2nd year.

I really wanted to get the upgraded kicker head unit and the kicker speakers. But to get some of the other stuff we decided to go with the basic. Now I'm wondering if I should just bite the bullet and do it 

If it is the Qmarine brand, I would say they are ok.  However, I replaced them with JL Audio sets and there is a big improvement to me.  I have pics and info in my gallery.  About 200 a set.  I still use the stock Sony head.  Not necessarily a cheap mod, but I feel it was worth it.

If you're at all handy, swapping the stock speakers for something better should be relatively easy and less expensive then going with the factory upgrade. You won't get the ten year warranty but that shouldn't be a big deal. Mine came with the lighted Kickers so there was no decision for me.  

If you're at all handy, swapping the stock speakers for something better should be relatively easy

Extremely Mm,  On the two bow seat speakers I had to make short wire extensions, yes I soldered, (you know who you are) other than that, sink new screw holes, screw, plug in and play.  Kick out the jams.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am pretty handy with electronics and such but thought the 10 year warranty was pretty sweet to. I also was a little concerned that upgrading after I get the boat could have some issues with mount holes not matching and possible wire extensions 

Yeah, I didn't think too much about it when I bought knowing I could do it myself.  There is a lot to said for having a marine stereo system covered under a 10 yr warranty, it can be harsh environment.  

I had the stock system in mine. It sounded ok if your sitting still, but as soon as you start moving you cant hear it to good, also there's not much bass. I've had my boat for 5 months and went out a handful of times and just change it out to all wet sounds. The wife wanted better sounds more than I did, so it was a no brainer. Went from 4 speakers to 6 xs650-rgb's, a 12" xs sub with a custom downfire box wrap to match the seats, and a SD6 amp, sounds awesome.

I had the stock system in mine. It sounded ok if your sitting still, but as soon as you start moving you cant hear it to good, also there's not much bass. I've had my boat for 5 months and went out a handful of times and just change it out to all wet sounds. The wife wanted better sounds more than I did, so it was a no brainer. Went from 4 speakers to 6 xs650-rgb's, a 12" xs sub with a custom downfire box wrap to match the seats, and a SD6 amp, sounds awesome.

Waiting for pics!!!  Hehe

Haha, I know the rules, it hasn't happened till there's pics. I will get them up asap, give me some time, my wife had brain surgery a month and a half ago and hasn't felt like going out on it. I installed the system and cover the boat, and haven't messed with it since. She did say today that she might be up for it this weekend, so hopefully.

Curious, what's your opinion between the speakers mounted in the leg area of the seats or the mid back area? 

In my bowrider, they were mounted above the seats so they sounded pretty good until someone sat in front of them! On my Benny they are mounted at floor level so while not optimal for sound, they don't get blocked like the old days...

To add to the original question, what's your thoughts between the stock kmc2 head unit and the upgrade to the kmc10?  

I have the stock system and thought I'd be replacing it like I did with my previous boat, but after one season it has performed quite well in my opinion. While it doesn't sound like my living room or car, it does get loud enough that we can hear it while underway, and even at high speeds. While I'm fairly sure the upgraded unit has more power and probably sounds noticeably better, I've not heard it personally. I can tell you there really isn't any bass to speak of, but I am happy with its overall performance.

I do think there are members on this board that have had both, so they can give you a better feel for the true difference.

i appreciate everyone's feedback. The wife and I have decided to just go with the "stock" system so we can get the double Bimini. I have always been good with car audio stuff and figured I can always upgrade down the road. Won't have the 10 year warranty but I think the double Bimini will be better for us and our little ones 

Good choice on the double bimini.  Your family will appreciate it.  Easy to upgrade later.  Suggest a JL Audio amp.  I am so impressed with my 700/5

Back