Storing ice chests

Bgwinner

Reaction score
Looking at ordering our first pontoon. Our last boat had storage for ice chests. Where do pontoon owners generally put their ice chests (several)?

I kept one at the bow or the stern, I could have done both. Then a little one behind the captains chair, and one in the seat storage, and one under the helm. My boat was a Center Walk through. Then if we were anchored I would move them outside the railing. I did have extend stern and a walk platform on the bow.

We keep ours under the helm. It's out of the way, and easy to get to.

I did the same with my previous pontoon but can't do that with the Benny because of the subwoofer. If you get the amp/subwoofer package or the roswell system there will be almost no cooler space under the helm.

On my 25GSB I place the largest hard cooler between the front bow seats and use it as a table. I put a soft-sided cooler just behind the captain chair. My yeti hopper 40 is perfect here. If I have another hard-sided cooler it goes in the opening of the mid-ship boarding gate. When we anchor or beach the coolers get moved outside to the bow and stern platforms for easy access.

And one other thought. The G series and above, I believe, come standard with an insulated seat base with a drain in the most forward compartment. I never thought I would use it as a cooler but it actually works very well. We put water bottles and other kids drinks in there and they keep all weekend.

Last edited:
In the area by the mid ship port entry gate or the front entry gate......

I did the same with my previous pontoon but can't do that with the Benny because of the subwoofer. If you get the amp/subwoofer package or the roswell system there will be almost no cooler space under the helm.

On my 25GSB I place the largest hard cooler between the front bow seats and use it as a table. I put a soft-sided cooler just behind the captain chair. My yeti hopper 40 is perfect here. If I have another hard-sided cooler it goes in the opening of the mid-ship boarding gate. When we anchor or beach the coolers get moved outside to the bow and stern platforms for easy access.

And one other thought. The G series and above, I believe, come standard with an insulated seat base with a drain in the most forward compartment. I never thought I would use it as a cooler but it actually works very well. We put water bottles and other kids drinks in there and they keep all weekend.
Thank you for your great ideas!

I kept one at the bow or the stern, I could have done both. Then a little one behind the captains chair, and one in the seat storage, and one under the helm. My boat was a Center Walk through. Then if we were anchored I would move them outside the railing. I did have extend stern and a walk platform on the bow.

Now, this is a boat I could spend an afternoon on!

Although our lake is 28 miles long (remember I am also a slow cruiser) I rarely bring more than a six pack out and like to keep it in a small cooler within arms reach of the captains chair so I can guard it.

Thank you for your ideas. We just ordered our boat, a 23 foot SSRXP Fastback! Looking forward to having the room of a tritoon. We traded a 22.6 Chapparel.

We ordered one with the starboard bow cooler under one of the seats like you’re talking about.

Only 28 miles long? If you were on my lake you'd bring a thimble of beer since it's 260 acres!!!

The six pack is to sustain oneself between stops during the pub crawl

Back