Strakes on Center Tube Only

Windrum

Reaction score
I am new to this forum and 1st time boat owner. I purchased a 2017 Bennington SX 22 Tritoon w/Yamaha 150 and a rear fish station. The center tube has lifting strakes and the outside tubes do not. The boat will go 32 mph with five adults and three children and without trimming motor. I am not complaining on the speed just wondering if this is about the speed I should expect with this boat and number of people.

I am trying to educate myself - Would the boat go faster with strakes on outer tubes and would trimming motor help w/mph as well?

Attachments

• IMG_3741 (5).jpg
    IMG_3741 (5).jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I am new to this forum and 1st time boat owner. I purchased a 2017 Bennington SX 22 Tritoon w/Yamaha 150 and a rear fish station. The center tube has lifting strakes and the outside tubes do not. The boat will go 32 mph with five adults and three children and without trimming motor. I am not complaining on the speed just wondering if this is about the speed I should expect with this boat and number of people.

I am trying to educate myself - Would the boat go faster with strakes on outer tubes and would trimming motor help w/mph as well?

Congratulations!!!! Follow up for you to better get advice and assistance: Which SPECIFIC tritoon hull do you have. Is it the SPS? What was your RPM’s at that speed? What prop and size do you have?

IF SPS, it has performance foils on the inside of the outer tubes In addition to the lifting strakes on the center toon. Those are more than enough.

For the size load you are carrying WITHOUT trimming the motor, probably in a predictable MPH range. Gotta trim the motor. Play around with it at WOT. Trim incremental until your speed tops out. It can vary slightly from boat to boat with layout, weight/load, etc... You should be able to get that into the very high 30’s....maybe nudging around 40 mph depending on load.

Depending on questions above, and performance numbers, you might be all set other than trim and weight on board. However, you may need to tweak prop or engine hole mount to dial in your speed at WOT completely. Most have to tweak their set up a bit if they wish to dial it in 100%.

You certainly came to the right place to get it dialed in. ;) :cool:

Once you play with trim, track your RPM’s and MPH at WOT.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply

I do not believe I have have the SPS because boat does not have foils on outer tubes just the strakes on center tube. Description of boat is "SX SERIES 22 SSX (*)".

Top speed at 5800 RPM is 32 mph with five adults and three children, will try trimming motor and see what kind of speeds we can achieve.

Do not know what prop or size, will check it out and advise.

This is a great forum, lots of good info

Thanks for Your Help

Thanks for the reply

I do not believe I have have the SPS because boat does not have foils on outer tubes just the strakes on center tube. Description of boat is "SX SERIES 22 SSX (*)".

Top speed at 5800 RPM is 32 mph with five adults and three children, will try trimming motor and see what kind of speeds we can achieve.

Thanks for Your Help
The SPS package has a full length center pontoon that has outboard mounted directly on it and looks round by engine. The express tube package is a 3/4 length center pontoon that ends a few feet forward of motor and motor has a V shaped pod its mounted on. It is less expensive than SPS but still improves handling and buoyancy over basic 2 pontoon boat. Welcome to the forum and enjoy your Benny!

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for Your Help
Thats a good size load, I had a 22' w/ Yamaha 175 and with that load 35 is MAX

Windrum, I’m not sure what you mean by trimming the motor? if you mean the trim switch you have on your throttle, you should start with the motor in the neutral position and than as you nearly reach your desired cruise speed trim to alleviate any steering drag left or right. You should be able to let go of the steering wheel and the boat will go in a straight line with out your input. This should give you your max speed with a given RPM, boat payload, water condition, wind, bimini up or down, dogs with big ears, number of beer cans in drink holders and, well you get my drift. There are so many things that affect our watercraft ability to fly that it is nearly impossible to gage a proper speed. Pick a speed that the crew you have on board is having maximum fun and that’s the perfect speed. PLEASE take this post in fun! The trimming part is real. The most important part of a craft like yours is the joy that can be had with your family and friends.

Last edited:
Back