Striker 4

kaydano

Reaction score
Anyone replace their old Garmin Echo 100 with the Striker 4?  Pretty sure the 100 was what Bennington put on MANY of their boats the last few years (I'd have to check).  Just wondering if it would cover the dash hole left from the 100 and if it uses the same transducer or not.  Color.  GPS (speed) built in. 

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01550-00-Striker-Bbuilt-Finder/dp/B017NI17HQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1487551325&sr=1-1&keywords=garmin+echo+100

Even if you didn't do a replacement, does anyone have one of these?  Like it?

Looks like a nice little unit. I see it lists the dimensions so how does that compare to the 100? I can always climb up in mine to get some measurements if needed.

When I updated from the 300 to the 53 DV ,I got a 53 DV  and a 70 series  template from  the garmin site. I knew 53 would fit ,I wanted to see if the 70 series would fit .Took the 70 template to the boat .

You can call Garmin ask them to email you both and compare 

Anyone replace their old Garmin Echo 100 with the Striker 4?  Pretty sure the 100 was what Bennington put on MANY of their boats the last few years (I'd have to check).  Just wondering if it would cover the dash hole left from the 100 and if it uses the same transducer or not.  Color.  GPS (speed) built in. 

https://www.amazon.com/Garmin-010-01550-00-Striker-Bbuilt-Finder/dp/B017NI17HQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1487551325&sr=1-1&keywords=garmin+echo+100

Even if you didn't do a replacement, does anyone have one of these?  Like it?

I've got the Garmin 100 as well and would readily consider updating if it could be reasonably done. I'll await replies...

It appears (from online measurements, not actual off my boat) that the Echo is a little bigger than the Striker.  That could be a problem for retrofitting in the same spot.

But, I don't like where they put the Echo in the first place, so I'm likely to mount the Striker somewhere else.  Semper suggested a RAM cup holder mount and that is my leading option for ease and looks.  I could have sworn they were on Amazon for $23, but now it says $123.  I assume that's a mistake that will fix itself in time.  Bulldog suggested pulling the cup holder, and making a DIY mount for the hole, which is an idea I like as well.  It would be more work, but probably more solid.  I'll have to see how the cup holders are mounted when we bring the boat home in the spring.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 99% sure the cup holders are friction fit.

The 53dv fit in my R dash opening with only a very minor trim on 2 edges which I was able to do with the mini saw in my Leatherman multitool. Maybe look into that vs. Striker 4. More expensive option, but every now and then Cabelas or Bass Pro has older version (non chirp) on sale pretty cheap. 

Dan, sent you a pm. 

Menards has these on sale today for $89.  I picked one up. 

Let me know how you like it. I have the 100 now and it is as basic as they get. This looks like a nice cheap upgrade to get some increased functionality.

I've got the Striker 5, and like it. I just wish I had more mounting options for it. It's in front on the WOT position, so with it in it's standard place, I keep a 20 MPH on the boat. I can swing it around some to get WOT and 26 MPH. I guess that keeps me out of the throttle for most of the time. I mean, I hate to unleash all 90 of those Clydesdales at one time. Gets people on board a little dizzy.    :)  

Last edited by a moderator:
So if you get the new boat with a 350, you will just have to mount it in a different location?

Does anyone else's Striker 4 stop registering depth when you go above 30 mph?  I have to add the gps speed each time I turn it on.  Depth, btry state, water temp and time are retained.  Is this normal?  Last question how do you set the proper time?  

Consider yourself lucky! My Garmin 100 quits registering depth at about 17 MPH. Pretty much worthless...

Have you tried moving your transducr? Mine was finiky too until I messd with how it was mounted.

Mine stopped registering depth at a certain speed...around 10-12mph.  The transducer was mounted to high up the bracket on the end of the pontoon.  I moved it to the very bottom to where the actual transducer (the part that flips down) is lower than the pontoon.  It now continuously updates the depth no matter how fast I'm going.  

Thanks, I will try adjusting the transducer.  Any suggestions as to how to keep the gps speed as part of the display on the Striker 4.

Thanks, I will try adjusting the transducer.  Any suggestions as to how to keep the gps speed as part of the display on the Striker 4.

I'm betting it's in the "setup" which may be lost when power is disconnected. Do you have a master battery switch you turn off?

Yes I do turn off a master at the end of the day but also lose speed display when accessory switch is turned off.

So if you get the new boat with a 350, you will just have to mount it in a different location?

If it's up to me, we won't be getting that much of a boat. I'm still going to pull the pin at a 150HP, and a boat that's comfortable for us (when we actually decide to upgrade). I'm sure not in a hurry for that. I'm not in the habit of trying to keep up with the Jones. I don' t even know the Jones. :)   Again, she just like to spend money. 

If it's up to me, we won't be getting that much of a boat. I'm still going to pull the pin at a 150HP, and a boat that's comfortable for us (when we actually decide to upgrade). I'm sure not in a hurry for that. I'm not in the habit of trying to keep up with the Jones. I don' t even know the Jones. :)   Again, she just like to spend money. 

Are you planning on taking it with you? :D

My wife has selective spending. If it's something she wants, we have the money. If its something I want, we're in a saving mode...

I can't complain though as she is great with the finances. At age 24 we bought our place on the lake. We have no credit card debt, student loans, car payments (aside from a lease payment) and are putting money aside every paycheck for retirement. House will be paid off in 9 years, and she gets to stay home and raise our little boy. Overall life it good. I'll just live vicariously through you guys with trolling motors on your boats.

Back