Struggles with Bimini cover

Bronco

Reaction score
is it just me or is it very much a wrestling match to get the Bimini wrap cover back on for anyone else?

Getting that zipper zipped back up seems to be a serious design fail, or I haven't figured out the right method to get it back on easily.

I've been thinking about having one that's a few centimeters larger made or finding a used one from another boat that isn't so tight. I understand that it can't have too much excess fabric so it doesn't catch wind and become a sail when the boat is docked, but this seems to border the ridiculous.

is it just me or is it very much a wrestling match to get the Bimini wrap cover back on for anyone else?

Getting that zipper zipped back up seems to be a serious design fail, or I haven't figured out the right method to get it back on easily.

I've been thinking about having one that's a few centimeters larger made or finding a used one from another boat that isn't so tight. I understand that it can't have too much excess fabric so it doesn't catch wind and become a sail when the boat is docked, but this seems to border the ridiculous.

I thought that at first too, but it got very easy after awhile. Not sure if that was because it stretched out just slightly, OR if I just became more adept at putting it on.

Once I latch zipper on left hand side of bimini, I bunch bimini fabric into the cover while holding the upper and lower portions of the cover in one hand. As I zip with my left hand, I simply hold and slide ahead of that point with right hand to center. I then reverse that process when zipping up right half of bimini cover. Latch zipper. Bunch bimini fabric into cover while holding upper and lower portions with one hand. Then zip with right hand and I hold and slide ahead of that point with left hand to the center.

Mine was very tight originally. On mine there are two "ears" (one on each side) near the back that snap onto the frame. If I unsnap them before putting the cover on it's much much much easier. I had posted a pic on here of the "ears" a long time ago in another thread.

I struggled the first couple of times I had to put the cover back on as well, bought the boat used to all the "stretching" was done by the previous owner.
I've found that if I get the cover low on the poles to start it is easier to start and zip around the corner. I pull the cover down as low as I can, start the zipper and then bunch and zip like Viking. If I don't have the cover low enough to start its difficult to get around the first corner. If its too tight I pull the bottom down and resume zipping. Helps to have someone hold the cover as low on the poles and they can until the zipper gets around the corner.

Practice will make it easy. I can do mine in a couple minutes, while underway ....

Felt the same way when I put it on the first couple times, especially when the wind was blowing. The trick is definitely getting the zippers hooked first. I’m taller so I can work with the frame in the normal position. I throw the cover over, hook the Velcro around the stern light and then spread the cover over one side, hook the zipper and pull it up far enough that it won’t come undone. From there I spread the other side over and hook the zipper. Make sure the cover is even and I kind of roll the Bimini over the frame as I zip it up. Sometime you have to push canvas up into the voids but it usually goes pretty easy. Another thing I do is keep a little downward pressure on the zipper pull, it keeps the zipper away from the fabric as you close it. You also want to lubricate the zipper every so often.

this may be my Captain Obvious Post, but just in case, one time i could not get it right, (this is my first boat), and then i noticed the frames for the top were not correctly nested. one that should have been nested on the back one was ahead of the one that should have been nested on it. that made the entire stack too wide and i could not get it until i pulled them apart some and re nested them correctly. Again probably not the issue but thought I would put that out there since it did hang me up for a few minutes one of my early trips.

Thanks, everyone. I'll take a look for the "ears' tomorrow.

I presume you all must own the NON electric Bimini option??

The elec Bimini is the biggest pain in the a** ever to recover and stow. So much so, that I hate the thought of even undoing it and opening it up.

The issue is when trying to put away and stow/cover.. the way the electric poles/frames are designed.. you need to electronically lower them all the way to “collapse” the poles/frame enough so that they’re laying together enough to be covered/zipped. (The issue with this is that because you have to lower it all the way, the Bimini frame is resting on the swing back seat.. so you must physically lift the frame,etc to wrap the Bimini cover around it and start the first zip. Total pain. Once the first zip is started, only THEN you can proceed to electronically raise the Bimini frame a little bit to get it off from resting on the swing back seat, and then it is a breeze as it’s just suspended in mid air and Easy to work around... sorry rant over, lol

Also, I’ve never used my blue ice Bimini lights as I’ve always felt that once it’s dark, why not look at the sky/stars/sunset? I always try to wrap up the Bimini before it’s too dark to see what I’m doing putting it away, lol.

I presume you all must own the NON electric Bimini option??

The elec Bimini is the biggest pain in the a** ever to recover and stow. So much so, that I hate the thought of even undoing it and opening it up.

The issue is when trying to put away and stow/cover.. the way the electric poles/frames are designed.. you need to electronically lower them all the way to “collapse” the poles/frame enough so that they’re laying together enough to be covered/zipped. (The issue with this is that because you have to lower it all the way, the Bimini frame is resting on the swing back seat.. so you must physically lift the frame,etc to wrap the Bimini cover around it and start the first zip. Total pain. Once the first zip is started, only THEN you can proceed to electronically raise the Bimini frame a little bit to get it off from resting on the swing back seat, and then it is a breeze as it’s just suspended in mid air and Easy to work around... sorry rant over, lol

Also, I’ve never used my blue ice Bimini lights as I’ve always felt that once it’s dark, why not look at the sky/stars/sunset? I always try to wrap up the Bimini before it’s too dark to see what I’m doing putting it away, lol.

LOL - Ditto the above. Thanks for ranting for me on it. Also, I thought the blue ice lights would be handy...umm, no. At least not for us. Could have for sure saved some $ on that option. Used them once. They worked. Never bothered or had a need for them since.

Yes,Dmonny, I have the basic non-electric Bimini. Thanks for the tip, if I buy another boat I'll steer clear of the electric version!

Last edited:
Yes,Dmonny, I have the basic Jon-electric Bimini. Thanks for the tip, if I buy another boat I'll steer clear of the electric version!

I will say this, even with the challenge above with the bimini cover, I’d get the electric bimini again. We love ours. Easy up and down with the push of the button. Once you get the hang of getting the cover on and off, its less of a pain. Worth the trade off in my opinion for just pushing a button to raise and lower it - particularly if you have lift canopies, boat houses, or bridges that will require you to raise and lower it more often.

Back