Stuff for towing and being towed

Boatingbob

Reaction score
I want to have on board what I need to tow someone and to be towed. Can anyone recommend what is necessary and best place to hook up for both?

Funny thing: 14 minutes into taking possession of our 2011 GLi we came upon a boat full of people who were without a working motor on their boat in the middle of the lake. We tied a ski rope to the ski pole and towed them in. My afterthought was that might not have been a wise way to do it, e.g., ski rope and ski pole may not have been strong enough.

Guidance appreciated.

Ski rope is fine, I suppose, but having 20-30 ft of something slightly heavier would be optimal. I'd go to the stern cleat for something as heavy as another boat. I'd also not be in too much of a hurry. You damage your rig and all you are going to get from the other boat is a thank you at best. I bet they didn't offer to cover the fuel of the tow. I've never had anyone offer yet, but it is the thing to do.

People are generally rather civilized in the Smoky Mountains of NC ... after we got them, there were about 8, mostly kids, on the boat, to where they wanted to go, they offered to pay. I offered to take their credit card, which they declined, so we called it even.

How can I pick strong-enough rope?

From Lake James, NC.

Ski rope is fine, I suppose, but having 20-30 ft of something slightly heavier would be optimal. I'd go to the stern cleat for something as heavy as another boat. I'd also not be in too much of a hurry. You damage your rig and all you are going to get from the other boat is a thank you at best. I bet they didn't offer to cover the fuel of the tow. I've never had anyone offer yet, but it is the thing to do.

Haha, we were on the lake probably 5 min and had to tow someone in! We were going through the Bennington checklist with our dealers mechanic and he was showing us the ins and outs. I'm pretty sure he tied up to the eyeholes on the pontoon and reversed all the way back to the dock. Definitely interested to hear where the proper place and technique is for towing someone though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like this would be plenty to handle both skiing/tubing and towing. My tow line I keep on boar is rated at 5000 lbs I think.

http://www.basspro.com/Kwik-Tek-Airhead-6000-lb--Tube-Tow-Rope/product/101803/93525

Again, my concern would be for your rig more than the rope. A rope giving while towing is just a rope. Having something pull loose from the boat is repairs. I've towed many times and I've always gone with the rear cleat on the deck port side and have them tie to the bow starboard cleat. That way I can see the line and other boat easier. The towed boat tends to ride to my port that way.

WOW, you've had one tow ans was offered money? LOL They never have for me. I'm on lake Cumberland. I don't really think it's inconsiderate people as much as it's people who are very frustrated and have other things on their mind.

Again, my concern would be for your rig more than the rope. A rope giving while towing is just a rope. Having something pull loose from the boat is repairs. I've towed many times and I've always gone with the rear cleat on the deck port side and have them tie to the bow starboard cleat. That way I can see the line and other boat easier. The towed boat tends to ride to my port that way.
Maybe you've never seen what the results of a tow rope breaking can be. I used to have some pics of a 41' UTB that had pretty much everything above the deck removed. 3 fatalities if I remember right. Just last year I was involved in the extrication of an individual where the tow rope had given way while trying to get a tractor unstuck. The rope came through the windshield. He never knew what hit him. When a rope breaks under pressure, it is like a rubber band. It will most likely do more damage than just ripping a cleat out.

There is nothing safe about towing with the ski rope. Most of us have an anchor line that would be better. Personally, I would want at least some 1" dbl braided nylon. I realize that we're not talking heavyweights here, but i'd rather be safe than have someone get hurt.

Maybe you've never seen what the results of a tow rope breaking can be. I used to have some pics of a 41' UTB that had pretty much everything above the deck removed. 3 fatalities if I remember right. Just last year I was involved in the extrication of an individual where the tow rope had given way while trying to get a tractor unstuck. The rope came through the windshield. He never knew what hit him. When a rope breaks under pressure, it is like a rubber band. It will most likely do more damage than just ripping a cleat out.

There is nothing safe about towing with the ski rope. Most of us have an anchor line that would be better. Personally, I would want at least some 1" dbl braided nylon. I realize that we're not talking heavyweights here, but i'd rather be safe than have someone get hurt.
I'll defer to you on the rope breaking thing. Like I said, I use something like http://www.basspro.c...ct/101803/93525 and have never had an issue. I also take great care in not being in a hurry.

PLEASE DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUBE OR SKI WITH YOUR SKI PYLON OR SKI TOW BAR! This is "ski" equipment,designed to haul people and water toys...not heavy watercraft.

In an emergency, if you need to tow, please use the stainless eyes bolted through the stern chassis. They are located on either side of the transom. Do not attach tow lines to eyes located on the nosecone or endcap.

Thanks, and be safe out there! We're glad to see such a helpful group of Club members, but please put safety first. For further information on towing safety, please reaseach through the American Boating and Yachting Council, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, or Boat U.S.

PLEASE DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUBE OR SKI WITH YOUR SKI PYLON OR SKI TOW BAR!

Last edited:
I do not know what the "stainless eyes bolted through the stern chassis" is. I don't know what the "eyes located on the nosecone or encap" is, so I don't know where to attach a line to tow or by which to be towed. I don't know what "Team Bennington" recommends in terms of a tow rope.

Can you help me out?

Bob

PLEASE DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUBE OR SKI WITH YOUR SKI PYLON OR SKI TOW BAR! This is "ski" equipment,designed to haul people and water toys...not heavy watercraft.

In an emergency, if you need to tow, please use the stainless eyes bolted through the stern chassis. They are located on either side of the transom. Do not attach tow lines to eyes located on the nosecone or endcap.

Thanks, and be safe out there! We're glad to see such a helpful group of Club members, but please put safety first. For further information on towing safety, please reaseach through the American Boating and Yachting Council, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary, or Boat U.S.

PLEASE DO NOT TOW ANYTHING OTHER THAN A TUBE OR SKI WITH YOUR SKI PYLON OR SKI TOW BAR!

]
What if you were the one being towed? Where would you hook up to? Figure it's a good question to ask, just in case! Thanks TB

What if you were the one being towed? Where would you hook up to? Figure it's a good question to ask, just in case! Thanks TB
I would hook to the eye that your trailer winch strap hooks to.

I would hook to the eye that your trailer winch strap hooks to.
Correct, use the stainless bow eye that's through-bolted to the 1/4" thick cross channel! Most are located under the deck, 1 cross member back.

Last edited:
Good to know! Now let's hope I never NEED to know!!

Didn't really get a definitive response to this. Did get considerable helpful info and I appreciate that.

I (respectfully) want more.

Boatingbob

I want to have on board what I need to tow someone and to be towed. Can anyone recommend what is necessary and best place to hook up for both?

Funny thing: 14 minutes into taking possession of our 2011 GLi we came upon a boat full of people who were without a working motor on their boat in the middle of the lake. We tied a ski rope to the ski pole and towed them in. My afterthought was that might not have been a wise way to do it, e.g., ski rope and ski pole may not have been strong enough.

Guidance appreciated.

Here is a good article on towing...

Towing a Boat

If you are going to do it their way, you would have 3 ropes to set this up.

gallery_82_73_14613.gif

Glad Bob brought this up again. I remember not fully understanding either...

Attached are two pics of my boat. I do not see any hook eyes under the boat at the front. I didn't post an "underside" photo of the rear of the boat, but I have one and it didn't show a hook either.

If I towed someone with my boat, would I use the hooks circled in red below? This picture was taken before they mounted the motor and ski bar.

Sorry, I'll have to post the pics some other time. I tried to upload, and found out i've already used my file quota. TB - Can Bennington increase the upload quota? 500k is very small.

Back