Subwoofer location??

*KCCO*

Reaction score
New to the group here!! I purchased my first pontoon about halfway through the summer this year. Bennington 21SLX model. I love it, but the itch is already there to go bigger and better. The sound system that came on there is alright, but I want to upgrade the speakers, add a sub and amp. Nothing to blow out eardrums, but just enough to get a little louder but sound a lot better. The question I have is, where is the best place to mount the subwoofer? I was hoping to put it in the sidewall under the back seat, similar to where the rest of the speakers are located. I got a 10" sub though and there is not enough room to mount there. The only really other option that I see is in the helm under the stearing wheel, but it would basically be aiming right into my lap. Also, I am not sure if that would create rattles, etc in my console. Before I cut a hole to mount it there, I want to make sure I do not have any better options. The other thing would be to put it in a seperate box under the helm. Just not sure what others experience is, or what would be the best. I appreciate any feedback!

I bought a sub box and mounted it under the helm. I mounted the amp on top of the sub box. It's out of site and sounds good.

Not sure about your exact layout - under the helm works, that's where they install the wet sounds sub/amp.  I have that and another in the rear lounger.  One thing to consider is a Bazooka self powered unit - on my previous boat I was able to install one in a seat, worked really well.  

Two things after that:

1.  Chive On!

2.  Go Bucks!

Thanks for the tips. I had them mount it right into the helm. They said it looks and sounds great, unfortunately I'll have to wait until spring to see/hear for myself, as my baby is packed up inside at the marina to get through our Michigan winter.

Chive On....and Go Blue (ugh, we'll be back soon)!

Back