Subwoofer placement

Diefenbaker Duo

Reaction score
Recently purchased a 23SLX pontoon with a decent stereo but it needs a little more boom-boom. A subwoofer and more power. The question is, where to put the sub? I’m thinking a down drive in a box made from HDMW and put the box behind the captains chair where there’s lots of space and could be used as a table. Anyone have opinions or experience?

Sheldon

Mine have all been under the helm

I have put one in that location and it works out very well. The under the helm is acceptable as well. I found there was better speaker performance outside behind the captains chair. Under the helm tends to cause some rattles.

Last edited:
I installed a 12" Rockford Fosgate powered subwoofer enclosure under the rear bench seat. Worked great.

I have a WetSounds AS10 under the helm/ Works great!

I was curious too where people put their subs at. I would be worried under the helm would rattle too much. For those that did under the bench did you do a sub box or just an open air woofer without a box?

Under helm. Haven't noticed much rattling.

I have a WetSounds AS10 under the helm/ Works great!
Can you say which way you have it facing? Did you test different directions? Was planning under rear lounger, but under helm would be more central and easier to wire. Last question, how did you route power wire to battery?

Getting ready to add Wetsounds Stealth 10 and probably amp for the speakers. Can’t decide under helm or under rear lounger. I tend to use helm storage a lot. Hate to give that up.

I’d place sub under lounger. I’d think the helm would rattle with all the different components. Probably plenty of room for amp. Do a search, as I remember a couple photos showing amps mounted neatly under helm.

To Consider: If you have Helm Storage Access Panel - it is the only spot that a cooler will fit. The unit's at the dealer that had the subwoofer under the helm took up a significant amount of the available room.

To Consider: If you have Helm Storage Access Panel - it is the only spot that a cooler will fit. The unit's at the dealer that had the subwoofer under the helm took up a significant amount of the available room.
Which is the main reason I did not add the sub and amp to my build. Did not want to get rid of prime cooler storage.

Now the question is where can In put a sub and amp and who the heck can I get to come and instal it while at the lake...thats the difficult part, mobile service.

I mounted the AS10 all the way at the back of the helm facing the door. Still have room in front of it for storage.

Same as @basshawk84 , mine was all the way back and still had room for a big Gatorade cooler in front. Man I miss my boat.

Lots of info on the site, just have to search for it.

Back