Suredock system - Ropeless Docking (solution for bumper burn)

That looks like a cool system but I agree with others here on the rubbing of the cleats.  And seeing how I just upgraded my cleats two years ago to the nice ss ones that say Bennington on them, there's no way I'm using those.

I am also one who would LOVE to get a covered lift but no way I can afford that right now.  I also have two of those cheaper covered things shown above on my lake....both new this year.  One has stayed in place so far....the other one was being setup when it was very windy about 3-4 weeks ago.  I drove by it the other day and see that it is submerged near the seawall there.  I'll have to check out the ones by Hewitt, Sea-Legs and Lakeshore Products because I really don't care about it being out of the water....I just get tired of covering and uncovering it.

That looks like a cool system but I agree with others here on the rubbing of the cleats.  And seeing how I just upgraded my cleats two years ago to the nice ss ones that say Bennington on them, there's no way I'm using those.

I am also one who would LOVE to get a covered lift but no way I can afford that right now.  I also have two of those cheaper covered things shown above on my lake....both new this year.  One has stayed in place so far....the other one was being setup when it was very windy about 3-4 weeks ago.  I drove by it the other day and see that it is submerged near the seawall there.  I'll have to check out the ones by Hewitt, Sea-Legs and Lakeshore Products because I really don't care about it being out of the water....I just get tired of covering and uncovering it.

I agree with you 100% about not caring if it's in or out of the water... actually I prefer it to be IN the water because sometimes I like to sit in the boat and enjoy the "motion of the ocean" :)

I got the system in the mail, the first thing I checked was if it would attach to the cleats... it does NOT (not enough room.  It requires a U-Bolt...  I prefer this because I don't mind a UBolt sticking out the front, in fact It might be another place I can use for a rod holder :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Spring time is the best time to find a used one as people dump theirs after buying new at the boat shows. Check craigslist and you might be surprised what you find. Our last lift was a 114" lift but I got it for 2 grand with a canopy frame. I bought some 2x12's and brackets to use a deck lift and it worked great. When we bought the current boat that was heavier we sold it and bought our current one new. Those free standing canopies are pretty expensive.

Kells...........

We have about a foot on each side of our boat when it's in the slip. Although we have 3 bumpers on each side they never make contact with the slip because of the way we tie up. We use the 4 cleats as well as the eyelets on the front of the toons. We pull each tight and the boat doesn't move. Should one or more of the lines come loose the bumpers are actually there for back up. 

You don't need any special devices or anything. Just tie up correctly and your boat will be fine!

I think most people on the lake, at least the folks who live on the lake around here only have one side to tie their boat up on.  I actually added another such post last year for another tieup point, but it wasn't ideal.

Could you just plant a couple of those pvc anchor posts on the outside of your pontoon to hold it off the dock?

i'm not sure what you are talking about do you have a link?   Is this something that the boat will rub against?

i'm not sure what you are talking about do you have a link?   Is this something that the boat will rub against?

I am picturing you could use these to put tension on your dock lines, to hold your boat away from the dock, perhaps with bungee lines.

I would never suggest any arrangement where something could touch the pontoon logs and potentially damage the SharkHide application. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck Norris is SO TOUGH...he doesn't have any Sharkhide on him...

I'm going to install these brackets this weekend!  

I think the next logical investment would be the carport style cover... maybe upgrade to a lift at some point, but it's not as important as just protecting from elements and not having to re-cover the boat every night.

I'm going to install these brackets this weekend!  

I think the next logical investment would be the carport style cover... maybe upgrade to a lift at some point, but it's not as important as just protecting from elements and not having to re-cover the boat every night.

I went out to the lift last night to dump some gas in the boat, and there was practically a flock of finches hanging out under my canopy, chillin' on my bimini, and pooping on my cover.  So, more of an FYI, as your carport (or lift) may not be a complete replacement for covering.

Bonus note, the love crapping all over the extended aft deck and motor housing as well.

Post up some pictures when you get them installed!!

I went out to the lift last night to dump some gas in the boat, and there was practically a flock of finches hanging out under my canopy, chillin' on my bimini, and pooping on my cover.  So, more of an FYI, as your carport (or lift) may not be a complete replacement for covering.

Bonus note, the love crapping all over the extended aft deck and motor housing as well.

I had exactly the same thing happen and WORSE! Barn swallows made a huge pile on the cover above my center support pole, but only there, no idea why as there is no evidence of nesting above it on the canopy frame. I had the cover off last weekend and in just a short time they made the same size pile below that spot right on my Seagrass carpet. I was really steamed. So the moral of the story is cover, cover, and cover, even on the lift with a canopy.

Same issue here with the barn swallows. I catch them in a net and give them scuba lessons. That and tearing their mud nest down. 

Same issue here with the barn swallows. I catch them in a net and give them scuba lessons. That and tearing their mud nest down. 

I think they saw me tear the mud nest down and that was revenge.

i bet your right Tom. Those darn birds have attitudes and dive bomb me. I'm brainstorm how I can shoot them out of the sky. Some sort of air powered cannon with bb's 

I think they saw me tear the mud nest down and that was revenge.

This is so true, I removed a nest from under my deck just above the wench support.  They literally covered my dock in shit.  Complete revenge move.  Last year I had a kite tied to my Bimini that looked like a bird and I think it scared them .

Tagging this post for reference.

I think I can design something similar, but to hook onto the front pontoon eyes since that works for my setup.

Tagging this post for reference.

I think I can design something similar, but to hook onto the front pontoon eyes since that works for my setup.

So I got 1 bracket installed... this weekend was crazy busy.  I did actually hook up to the eyelet of the nosecone and it kept the boat off the dock.  I have Elliptical toons so I think they eyelet is even farther away from the side of the boat and it works perfectly, but I still installed the U-Bolt because I don't trust the aluminum to hold it's form over the years by connecting this way... the Stainless Steel UBolt is definately the way to go...  It doubles as a rod holder too!!!

I'll get pics posted asap of the semi-finished installed asap!

Back