Swim Dock overhaul..

More photos as promised..

Laid out my $200+ plywood and cut the one in half just as it was done originally

Test fit:

My hardware came in yesterday so finalized the decking today:

Laid out the new carpet so that it can relax for a day or so. Probably glue it down this week:

Glue... Hope it works...

Question.

My photobucket account is acting strange.

Can you all see the earlier pictures still?

Last edited by a moderator:
Also bought some 1X4 aluminum rectangular tubing to fab up my walk ramp.

Doing a great job chucktuna.  Very interesting to follow your documentation, keep it coming

Looking good. How do you like your Ryobi? I started with an 18V kit. I now have the multi tool which uses the Rigid interchangeable heads , vac, glue gun, 2 drills, circ. saw, sawzall, hinge template kit, door boring kit. I love their system!

Looking good. How do you like your Ryobi? I started with an 18V kit. I now have the multi tool which uses the Rigid interchangeable heads , vac, glue gun, 2 drills, circ. saw, sawzall, hinge template kit, door boring kit. I love their system!

Love the Ryobi 18v I've got the drill, 2 different lights (one flashlight, one larger area light I use camping, and the chain saw. The saw works amazingly well with the large battery

Another small update.

I'm waiting for some dock hardware to arrive. Who'd of thought Home Depot sold this stuff...

http://www.homedepot.com/b/t/N-5yc1vZc8xd

Anyway I started mocking up how the 12' ramp will attach. Previously the wood ramp was attached (with more wood) to just the plywood decking and aluminum rail. I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

This time it will also be supported by the steel cross beams, which means I need a bracket to bridge the gap. First mock up for measuring purposes

Very close to final carpet and the ramp is all done but the decking:

My tig welding skills are a but weak, but it'll get the job done. All hidden anyway.

Warm enough today to let the sun settle down the carpet before it gets glued.

The top has made a good work bench:

Looking great! Can't wait to see it finished and ready to make another 20 years worth of memories.

What ... no sea grass ?? LOL!!!! I just looked and found out a piece, just to do my boat, would cost $2600!   :blink:

Ran out of glue yesterday... Only half of it was able to be glued down. :

Glued down the other half today:

Also started the decking on the access plank.. and ran out of decking clips.!

Another trip to Menards tomorrow...

I'm interested in your homemade ramp/dock. Where did you get the side rails etc? I'd like to build a new dock and that looks super easy.

I'm interested in your homemade ramp/dock. Where did you get the side rails etc? I'd like to build a new dock and that looks super easy.

I sourced the aluminum 1"x4"x12' tubing locally at Shapiro metal supply in St Louis. Amazing place to look around if you're into that sort of thing..     https://www.shapirosupply.com/    Composite decking was from Menards.

The rest was from Home Depot (dock hinges)  and Lowes and honestly, if I was looking for a 4' wide dock section, I'd just buy something premade. I wanted a narrower 34" width.  I don't think I saved any money, and It took way longer to do than I thought. I've probably got 15 to 20 hours in the plank-way thing. Its also heavier than I wanted even with the "lightweight" decking.

I need to do a final tally buy I've got over $1300 in materials split evenly between both parts!

Other than a few very small details its all done. I'll get some final pics at the launching

I would bet you saved a lot more money than you think. To buy something built to spec (34") and all that you have, I would guess $3K plus!!

Now I want to build a new custom dock!

Cancelled the launching this weekend due to weather and other related activities...

Anyway, here are the last pics before it gets wet.

In its previous life, it never was properly anchored, so part of the anchor system are 2 poles screwed into the lake bottom that'll slide thru these flanges I made out of Delrin (plastic). I tried to find something off the shelf, but I came up with my own instead:

Installed with the screw / pole anchor:

Helps to have a cheap lathe for stuff like that:

And the old ladder got some new attaching hardware:

What a fantastic job! I'm sure it's well worth the memories!!!

Absolutely top notch!  Very impressive work.  Your family will get many more years out of your efforts.

Great job!  I am looking forward to seeing the finished product in the lake.

Got it loaded up on the Bennington trailer Wednesday, which was a process in itself...

Ramp-way was next

All loaded ready for the trip:

Back