Swingback Owners (my first-ever post...)

DougandSherry

Reaction score
Do you love yours...or wish you'd gone with a different build?

I've searched this forum and read about why folks would--or would not--consider a swing back. I've learned all about the railing (necessary in my state for using it while under way). I know that several of you have purchased swing backs in the last few years. I love reading y'all's posts!

We've had our current Bennington 25GL for 12 years and absolutely LOVE it...but it's time to upgrade. Since this may be our last boat, I want to make sure I'll be as happy with the new one as I am with the current one.

To swingback or not to swingback...that is the question. Would you swingback owners do it again??

Thanks,
Sherry

In my opinion, if you really like and are going for the open stern style (even with rails), as long as you are considering an R or Q series, the swingback and center walkout models both get you that effect. The main difference is the type of use - everyone next to each other on the same side/seat (and with a larger, single pad) or separation into 2 seats for different guests or couples. For us, the CW works best but I can see where others may not care about the separation and really like the SB too.
And if that open stern effect is what you're going for, but looking at S or G, I believe SB is you're only option.
Either way, I'm sure you will love it!

Hi Sherry. I don't have a swingback but hopefully I can chime in. We have a sslx and it is the best of both worlds. With the swingback you loose seating depending on which way it is oriented. But if you only have a couple people on the boat it won't be an issue. Good luck with your decision and you can't go wrong with any of them!

Have the 2017 24SSBXP and we love it! It's cool looking and a blast to hang out on the back when anchored. It also makes a huge changing room when the rear seat is lifted. No regrets what so ever.

I think LL is on to something here, namely, how you intend to use your boat and how many people will typically be aboard. I know there are several SB owners on this board that really love the feature and will likely chime in. Good luck with your decision!

We love our 2017 22' Swingback. As others said, it depends on your use/needs, but if you dont have a need to haul 10+ people around it is the best of both worlds. Great for a handful of people (6-8) and makes for an awesome boat to float and enjoy the sun on.

The one thing that I like separate loungers on the back is that each has multiple cup holders, whereas the swingback seems to have only a cup holder on the port side. I don't want to keep handing drinks back and forth. But I would like being able to sit right next to my first mate.

And the nap you could take, damn.

LL and Michiman, unless we're taking new folks on a "tour" of the lake most of what we do is toodle a little and then tie up with the neighbors' boats. We rarely have more than 6 aboard--unless we are tied up...at which time our boat tends to become the neighborhood living room.

gnc1017 and lakeliving, your thoughts are some of the main reasons I keep going back and forth! Then, again, one of our friends went from a cruise model to a dual stern seating model this year and her one and only complaint is that she no longer has a place to lay on her stomach comfortably while at anchor...which would be an issue for us, too. And, yea, mattb...the nap!

Spoiledrotten, I noticed the cup holder placement and am wondering if one of the movable cup holders would work on a swingback. (Something I have noticed is that whereas our 2005 has built in cup holders EVERYWHERE, the new boats seem to rely heavily on the portable ones and the tables.)

Thanks Robotpedlr and H2GO! No problems with the mechanical aspects of moving the seat back back and forth???

I'm SO excited about a new boat! I have til February to make all my decisions so I hope some more swingback owners chime in here.

I know I'm going to have a ton more questions between now and when we order. Thanks in advance for your patience!!

Sherry, it sounds to me like the SB is for you. Enjoy!

We got a 2017 24’ SB. We LOVE it. Based on your description above, I think you will love it. Others are right though in thinking how you will likely use it, and with how many people you might typically cruise around with. On ours, even with people laying back there, we still have room for a pretty good group of people with the other seating that is available.

Mechanically, the seat shifts back and forth very easily. A young kid can swing it either way with no problem. Absolutely a non-issue for an adult. Lifting the bottom up to get under it is at times slightly awkward in that you have to lift in the right spot. Once you get used to where to lift it from, it comes up pretty good - has a little lifting shock of some sort.

Finally, it is comfortable, it is sharp looking with some novelty to it, and it attracts looks for sure. Come on, just look at the ....backside on that thing!

IMG_0056.jpg

Benni got back.

Finally, it is comfortable, it is sharp looking with some novelty to it, and it attracts looks for sure. Come on, just look at the ....backside on that thing!

It is really a good look. Unfortunately it won't work for us as my kids like to run from one end of the boat to the other to jump in the water.

We LOVE it. Based on your description above, I think you will love it. On ours, even with people laying back there, we still have room for a pretty good group of people with the other seating that is available.

Mechanically, the seat shifts back and forth very easily. Lifting the bottom up to get under it is at times slightly awkward in that you have to lift in the right spot. Once you get used to where to lift it from, it comes up pretty good - has a little lifting shock of some sort.

IMG_0056.jpg
[/QUOTE]
The ....backside of that boat is gorgeous! As is the rest of it! So far all the posters who own a swingback have been very happy with their choice. Of course, everyone on here seem happy with WHATEVER Bennington they own. Thanks for responding and for the good info.

Love that Bennington chrome piece!
The chrome piece is cool. What’s off the chart sweet is when you turn on the RGB lighting because the speakers and “Bennington” in the chrome all light up. It’s an eye catcher when lite up in the evening.

Last edited:
LL and Michiman, unless we're taking new folks on a "tour" of the lake most of what we do is toodle a little and then tie up with the neighbors' boats. We rarely have more than 6 aboard--unless we are tied up...at which time our boat tends to become the neighborhood living room.

gnc1017 and lakeliving, your thoughts are some of the main reasons I keep going back and forth! Then, again, one of our friends went from a cruise model to a dual stern seating model this year and her one and only complaint is that she no longer has a place to lay on her stomach comfortably while at anchor...which would be an issue for us, too. And, yea, mattb...the nap!

Spoiledrotten, I noticed the cup holder placement and am wondering if one of the movable cup holders would work on a swingback. (Something I have noticed is that whereas our 2005 has built in cup holders EVERYWHERE, the new boats seem to rely heavily on the portable ones and the tables.)

Thanks Robotpedlr and H2GO! No problems with the mechanical aspects of moving the seat back back and forth???

I'm SO excited about a new boat! I have til February to make all my decisions so I hope some more swingback owners chime in here.

I know I'm going to have a ton more questions between now and when we order. Thanks in advance for your patience!!

Agree with vikingstaff...........it's very easy to move fore and aft. I added a strap to the lateral bar of the privacy curtain frame so my 4' 11" wife could have something to grab on to close it. The strap is hidden inside once it is collapsed.

Our favorite item on our Bennington is the swingback feature. My mate and I have plenty of room to share as we sunbath, and we usually have four young adults sitting back there for our cruises.
I did have warranty claim to adjust it, I was unable to switch the position, once they fixed it I have had no problems.
The railing does cause water to pool up on the mooring cover, which they do have a strap that attaches at two points that the strap goes around the navigation light, or the whole bimini to keep it raised. I usually place a partially inflated tube on the swingback/below the cover to help raise it over the railing.
It is all personal preference, we looked at new models in the showroom and we both said there is no way we would want individual aft seats, how could we lay on our stomachs?

Our favorite item on our Bennington is the swingback feature. My mate and I have plenty of room to share as we sunbath, and we usually have four young adults sitting back there for our cruises.
I did have warranty claim to adjust it, I was unable to switch the position, once they fixed it I have had no problems.
The railing does cause water to pool up on the mooring cover, which they do have a strap that attaches at two points that the strap goes around the navigation light, or the whole bimini to keep it raised. I usually place a partially inflated tube on the swingback/below the cover to help raise it over the railing.
It is all personal preference, we looked at new models in the showroom and we both said there is no way we would want individual aft seats, how could we lay on our stomachs?
Thanks, krcossin. Good info! We've been using a life jacket under our mooring cover for years to prevent a small pooling problem on the back corner of our changing room enclosure, so I can relate. Good to know in advance! Does the mooring cover go on fairly easily (after some practice, of course)?

Does the mooring cover go on fairly easily (after some practice, of course)?

With just a little bit of practice, it does go on fairly easily. I found the trick/pattern for me was working my way around the boat from the back port side, all the way around to my starting point. You’ll find the pattern that works for you after a couple of tries. I also found that it was actually easier to do it solo than to have another person help - at least for me.

Back