Swingback Stereo upgrade help

Comin In Hot

Reaction score
My new swingback should be here around the first week of April. I ordered it with the KMC10 stereo and stern speaker led kicker speakers. So I have a total of 6 speakers. I already have a JL AMP ready to go in. Model # M1000/5v2 http://www.jlaudio.com/m1000-5v2-marine-audio-m-series-amplifiers-98358. I will also be adding a sub under the forward part of the swingback. My questions is what would be the best way to hook this up. I previously had the amp powering 4 JL speakers 100 watts each and then 600 watts to the sub. I still need to buy the new sub. With now having 6 speakers I’m not sure what’s the best way to do this. I’m also second guessing getting the KMC10 since it’s only 4 channels and I think I’m going to need 6. I know that I’m going to need to run separate power and ground wires from the battery to the amp that I’m planning on putting in the helm. It’s the rest of the install that Im not sure of. Also will the factory installed speaker wire be good enough or does that need to be replaced? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. I also promise to post tons of pics once I get the boat. Both pre install and after.

111FF0BC-5D3E-45BB-8084-E671190921E5.jpeg Our boat came with a kicker kmc 10 .Last winter I installed a kicker PXA 500.1 amp and a kicker 450w 9E2167AE-E726-4A95-A16D-7393C6B45B82.jpeg B26AF638-272C-4C1B-9F6B-1DD5D97F24BC.jpeg Solo Baric subwoofer. I had to build a box for the sub. Quite satisfied with the addition . I had a lot of questions and Kicker online answered them all.

View attachment 24190 Our boat came with a kicker kmc 10 .Last winter I installed a kicker PXA 500.1 amp and a kicker 450w View attachment 24191 View attachment 24192 Solo Baric subwoofer. I had to build a box for the sub. Quite satisfied with the addition . I had a lot of questions and Kicker online answered them all.
Nice setup. I’m looking to get a sub that’s going to be fully enclosed in my back seat. Probably something like this. http://www.jlaudio.com/fs110-w5-sg-tb-marine-audio-enclosed-subwoofer-systems-91955

Last edited:
I have the enclosed sub under my console as an upgrade from Bennignton but it was very weak. I added a JL audio amp and 2 JL audio 10” marine subs and now it’s all you could want.

I have the enclosed sub under my console as an upgrade from Bennignton but it was very weak. I added a JL audio amp and 2 JL audio 10” marine subs and now it’s all you could want.
What head unit & how many speakers do you have going with those two 10 inch subs?

Boat is currently in storage but if memory serves 12 kicker speakers with 1 amp and 2 10” subs on the other amp. I will get the specifics when I get it out of storage and add to this thread.

Boat is currently in storage but if memory serves 12 kicker speakers with 1 amp and 2 10” subs on the other amp. I will get the specifics when I get it out of storage and add to this thread.
Wow 12! And I was worried about my amp running 6. Do you have the KMC10 head unit?

You didn't say which amp (model #) you're putting in but I'm guessing it's a five channel (2 front, 2 rear, 1 sub). Your deck is fine. You don't need six channels coming from it. If it's a five channel amp then you would wire two sets of the speakers together. I would probably wire the four cabin speakers together at the amp on the front channels. The two stern speakers would be wired as the rear speakers. That way, you could control the speakers with the deck. Basically when you're underway you could fade the sound to the boat speakers and no sound out the back. When on the beach you could do the opposite. The sub would still work regardless of which speakers were activated. Wiring the two sets together shouldn't pose any issue as long as the speaker impedance doesn't go below the amp load threshold. Typically with the newer speakers and amp that's not a problem. For example wiring two 4 ohm speakers together would present a 2 ohm load to the amp. You'll have to verify the specs on the speakers and amp to be sure. I rewired a friend's pontoon just like I stated above and it works great.

Last edited:
You didn't say which amp (model #) you're putting in but I'm guessing it's a five channel (2 front, 2 rear, 1 sub). Your deck is fine. You don't need six channels coming from it. If it's a five channel amp then you would wire two sets of the speakers together. I would probably wire the four cabin speakers together at the amp on the front channels. The two stern speakers would be wired as the rear speakers. That way, you could control the speakers with the deck. Basically when you're underway you could fade the sound to the boat speakers and no sound out the back. When on the beach you could do the opposite. The sub would still work regardless of which speakers were activated. Wiring the two sets together shouldn't pose any issue as long as the speaker impedance doesn't go below the amp load threshold. Typically with the newer speakers and amp that's not a problem. For example wiring two 4 ohm speakers together would present a 2 ohm load to the amp. You'll have to verify the specs on the speakers and amp to be sure. I rewired a friend's pontoon just like I stated above and it works great.
Thanks Havasu! That explains a lot. My amp model #is a JL Model #M1000/5v2. The link is posted above. Know I just have to figure out what sub or subs I want. Getting powered subs would be a waste since I already have the amp for them.

That amp is stable to 2 ohms so wiring multiple speakers isn't a problem. Yep, since you've already got a dedicated powered sub output you wouldn't need a powered sub. I've got JL subs in my truck and they are awesome.

I took RodEarl's lead and installed that same Rockford powered sub. It made all the difference in the world. Now I can't wait to get back on the boat and jam out!

I took RodEarl's lead and installed that same Rockford powered sub. It made all the difference in the world. Now I can't wait to get back on the boat and jam out!
It’s not the loudest but I think it complements the KMC10 system perfectly. Can’t beat it for the price!

The beauty of that sub is that you actually don’t have to run a single wire to the head unit if you choose not to. Just need to hook up a power and ground wire. Then splice into a speaker wire to provide signal. That’s it! It’s especially easy in the swingback as there’s plenty of room to install it under the lounger (I installed mine under the forward seat of the swingback lounger) and it’s really close to the batteries. If you have the stern speakers then everything you need is within 4’ away.
It has an auto turn on feature that turns the amp on if it detects signal in the speaker wire and off when there is no signal.
It’s super easy to install, sounds great, and is reasonably priced. It’s a home run as far as I’m concerned.

Last edited:
I have the same KMC10 and I am curious how you wired up the Rockford sub? Any photos or tips would be great!
Had my stereo guy install it for me. He ran the power to the batter and the wire under the carpet to the helm. Back of the KMC10 has an input for the Sub. He then installed the bass knob at the helm station just above the head unit. I’d post photos but I’m in CA and my boat is in Havasu.

The beauty of that sub is that you actually don’t have to run a single wire to the head unit if you choose not to. Just need to hook up a power and ground wire. Then splice into a speaker wire to provide signal. That’s it! It’s especially easy in the swingback as there’s plenty of room to install it under the lounger (I installed mine under the forward seat of the swingback lounger) and it’s really close to the batteries. If you have the stern speakers then everything you need is within 4’ away.
It has an auto turn on feature that turns the amp on if it detects signal in the speaker wire and off when there is no signal.
It’s super easy to install, sounds great, and is reasonably priced. It’s a home run as far as I’m concerned.

Thank you so much! I will be ordering this today! Much appreciated !

Renegade has inspired several of us to add the Rockford sub to our systems. I know I'm a happy camper!

Back