tachometer trouble

waiteskb

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

The tachometer gauge on my Bennington pontoon stopped working a while back. I ordered another from the dealer where I bought the boat and replaced it but the new one does not work either. Any ideas on what might be the cause? Dealer said it would not hurt the boat to run it without the tachometer and it runs fine. Without the tachometer it is not possible to record the hours the boat runs since that counter is on the same gauge. Boat is kept in a slip all of the time and I do not have a trailer to take it to dealer located about an hour drive away. I do all my own general maintenance and use the boat year-round since the weather in Alabama is usually ok most of the time. Thanks for any suggestions.

I am assuming you used the same wiring and simply replaced the tach? First thing I would suggest is to run an ohm test on the wires.

I hope this is it, because if not, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck.

andy

I am assuming you used the same wiring and simply replaced the tach? First thing I would suggest is to run an ohm test on the wires.

I hope this is it, because if not, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck.

andy

When I hook up the tachometer initilly the needle spins but then resettles and does nto move again. So apparently it is getting some power through the wiring. I am still puzzled.

Ken Waites

Ken, first, welcome to the Club! Second, tell us more about your boat, year, model, engine. Generally speaking, you will have a tach output wire coming off your ignition system, and i would suspect that wire has come disconnected or has broken/worn through somewhere. I also think the initial gauge sweep is a gauge test that happens anytime you turn the key on, so the gauge should be good. So without more information specific to your setup, that's the best i can do for now, so post your info, and we'll go from there :)

Thank you for the advice. This is a 2007 2050SFI with a 90 hp yamaha engine. I will try to get out there this weekend and crawl up under the console and look at all of the wires again. It seems like the problem must be in the wiring somewhere since the gauge seems ok and it is brand new. I need to get the boat out and run it around the lake anyway since I don't winterize the engine.

Ken Waites

Back