Taking delivery soon and have a prop question

Bigdaddy74

Reaction score
We placed an order back on October 1 for a 2021 23LSNPAPG tritoon. This is the 23' model that has the traditional couch seating up front, L shaped seating across from the helm and the 2 fishing seats and a livewell in the rear with dual stern gates. The boat is being equipped with the SPS+ package and a Yamaha 250 SHO VMax with power steering. The dealer invoice just shows that the rigging includes a Solas stainless steel prop. We will hopefully be taking delivery in the next 2 weeks and I was wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding prop diameter and pitch for my setup. I understand that I may have to try a few but the dealer is an hour away so I'd like to have it rigged pretty close to perfect when I pick it up. We will normally have 4-5 people on board and the kids like to knee board and wake board and occasionally we will pull the tube. I had an Aqua Patio tritoon a few years ago with the same motor and it would run about 45 MPH but I don't remember the prop specs. I'd like to keep my top speed around 45-47 MPH. Thanks in advance.

I'm surprised you haven't gotten a response by now. I don't have a combo anything like yours, but there are plenty of suggestions in this forum. More than one prop that will work. Yamaha Performance Bulletins (search for them) frequently get excellent results with the Yamaha Saltwater II prop and a pitch range of 16 to 18. Of the ones I've seen, 17p is the most common. I recently sent a 17p to one of our sons for his 23' CC (They frequently have a drag/performance profile similar to a pontoon boat of like size. He is very happy with it.)

The Solas prop may be great...hopefully your dealer can provide performance data...although it's pretty tough to match the Yamaha Bulletins...

i have a 23GSB 300 yamaha 18m 14 1/4, does 47mph 2 people fuel of fuel. not saying thats the correct prop but its what it came with and thats what it does

For top speed I think 17p 3-blade will be your best best. I'm running a Q3/Enertia 14.5 x 17 and it's been very good (max 51mph). Motor is F250 and also have the SPS+ in a 23' model.

But given your desire to pull tubes and have 4-5 people aboard you may have to give up some speed to get that bite in a larger diameter or more aggressive ear. 16p will probably move you up to a 14.75 or 15" diameter and should give you that pulling power and hole shot, but not sacrifice too much speed.

I don't know anything about Solas props, so will defer to others. But the recommendations from "the prop guys" that I've seen or talked to are the Enertia, Mirage Plus and Salt Water Series II. These designs tend to be on heavier boats and more all-around performers so perfect for pontoons.

Also consider adjusting motor mounting height as that can yield a few MPH and better fuel efficiency.

Please let us know your numbers when you're able to run her!

I checked the Yamaha Performance Bulletins for the VF250 engines fitted to pontoons, and the most common are:

Yamaha Saltwater II Series
15.75x15
15.75x16
15.5x16
15.5x17

Top speeds are in the middle to upper 40 MPH range for 22-25' pontoons.

I was not happy with the Solas prop. It had a lot of cavitation problems. I went with a Mercury Enertia. Night and day difference!

I have a 14.25 18 pitch on a Yamaha 300 and I'm unhappy with it, I feel certain that it is not the best option

I had the SWS II 15.5x17 on my 250 SHO, worked well for me. Granted I didn't try anything else, I originally just went based on the performance bulletins

I have a 14.25 18 pitch on a Yamaha 300 and I'm unhappy with it, I feel certain that it is not the best option

I was perusing the Performance Bulletins for the F300, and most of them (pontoon) have the Saltwater II Series 15.75x15 or 15.5x16 - may be something for you to look into.

Yamaha SWS II 15.5 x 16 or 15.5 x17. I have a gsr 2250 with ESP and VF 250. Have run all the above on my boat (solas Lexor 17, sws 18, sws 17. The 16 is slightly slower 48ish but better bite for pulling skiers and tubes. Solas is efficient but the sds hub on the Yamaha props is much nicer/smoother to operate. Even my wife could tell the difference. That VF likes to run on the upper side of its rpm range so I’d guess you may end up with a 16. Good luck

I will probably start with a 17
Good spot to start. An SWS 16p or 18p can be tough to find and generally bring top dollar. I recently snagged a great 17p on Ebay for a son's CC. No charted test numbers, but is much better than the previous prop on his loaded 23' (F250, 4.2L, power). If a good SWS 16p had turned up first, I expect he'd have been just as happy with that.

My boat has arrived at the dealer and he has done all the prep and rigging. I won’t be able to pick it up for a few more days but he said he installed a Solas Saturn stainless steel 14”x19P prop. I used the prop selector on the Solas website and after entering my boat and motor info it recommends either the 14x19 or 14 1/4x17. Is a 14” diameter prop going to be big enough for my boat? The invoice shows that he’s only charging $350 for the Solas so I figure if it isn’t ideal I can order a Yamaha Saltwater Series II 15 1/2 x 17P (which is what the Yamaha prop selector recommends) and keep the Solas as a spare. Any thoughts or should I insist he change prop size?

Test first. We can give you all the advice possible but your dealer probably won't want to swap unless you have observed data to support your argument. Record speed and mpg at 500 rpm increments along with top speed and max rpm. Record your time to plane in seconds. All of this data can then be compared to available performance bulletins and other member data.

My guess is the small diameter will lead to terrible slip numbers, bad hole shot, high planing speed and poor efficiency... but with that 19p top speed will be ok. It's like a high HP car with skinny tires, you'll eventually get up to 186mph but losing traction all along the way.

From what I read Solas props are OK budget props, but you get what you pay for. Merc props are twice the cost for a reason, and many of us are running them.

I am guessing the same things as Potomacbassin’ in regards to anticipated performance with that Solas Saturn. I am a big fan of the Mercury Enertia props because it has been great on our boat, and we have it paired with a Mercury motor. That said, the Yamaha Saltwater Series II’s seems good based on other peoples reported experiences...and is recommended by the prop selector.

I’d be torn on bothering with testing it vs. just saying that wont cut it and telling the dealer what kind of prop you want on it from the start. Have you discussed options with your dealer with trying out a few loaner props before committing to something???

I am guessing the same things as Potomacbassin’ in regards to anticipated performance with that Solas Saturn. I am a big fan of the Mercury Enertia props because it has been great on our boat, and we have it paired with a Mercury motor. That said, the Yamaha Saltwater Series II’s seems good based on other peoples reported experiences...and is recommended by the prop selector.

I’d be torn on bothering with testing it vs. just saying that wont cut it and telling the dealer what kind of prop you want on it from the start. Have you discussed options with your dealer with trying out a few loaner props before committing to something???
I agree Viking, trying to get the right prop right out of the gate in the way to go. My guess is though there is a prop shortage to go along with everything else so the dealer will probably hem and haw. But you're right, at least ask first. I'm still waiting a year later to exchange my prop with the dealer because they didn't have the correct one on hand. I eventually just bought the Q3 myself instead of waiting.

I was able to put a few hours on the tritoon this afternoon and after the 2 hour mark I opened it up to see how the prop would work. I ended up getting a Yamaha Saltwater Series II 15 1/2" x 17P put on to start with. My top speed is right at 44 mph at 5400 RPMs so I'm not hitting the upper end of the RPM range of 6000 rpm that I need to be at. The boat is a 2021 23' LSNPAPG SPS+ with the 250 VMAX SHO. Below is the data that I collected with 4 people on board and 20 gallons of fuel:

2500 rpm at 15 mph
2800 rpm at 17 mph
3000 rpm at 18.7 mph
3500 rpm at 21.5 mph
4000 rpm at 26 mph
5400 rpm at 44 mph (top speed at WOT)

It seemed to be be lugging a little at slow speeds just above idle. Should I try a 15 1/2" x 15P or should I try something else? I don't want to loose any speed but need about 500-600 more RPMs.

Stupid question - did you have 89 octane in the tank? The SHO advances timing for a little more power but only with the higher test. Also winter fuel may not give you the best performance data in which to benchmark.

Let the motor break in a little more and see if things don't improve some. Then assuming you were appropriately trimmed I personally would next consider raising the motor at least one hole if it's at #1. That should get you another 100-150 RPM. Slip % is pretty good at WOT so if you want to try another prop I would try the Enertia 17 or go down to a 16 on the SWS.

I know you're not thrilled but your numbers are that far off!

EDIT - aren't that far off.

Last edited:
Back