Taking the Benny to Panama City Beach

Spoiledrotten

Reaction score
Every pic I see of the Florida gulf coast waterways, I drool a little down my shirt, wanting to get my boat down there in that beautiful water. Well, we are fixing to do that. Now, I need you guys to set my mind at ease about the salt water. We are going to have our boat in the water for about 10 - 15 hours at the most, but I still worry a little in the back of my mind about the salt water on the boat. I'm planning to rinse the boat and the trailer when I take it out, as well as run fresh water through the motor for a minimum of 10 minutes. Is there any reason to worry about it?

And, is there anything I need in the Florida waters that I may not know about? We are not going to take it out far, and might not even leave the protection of the barrier/protection of Shell Island. I believe with the 90hp, I'd be taking a chance, and that just isn't necessary. 

I've read some of the post about taking long trips in the larger toon, with the beefy motors, and how a radio is needed, but this won't be a trip like that. All I've really seen in my research is that you need the normal things like vests for all, a throwable, and a whistle (or other means of signaling).

Is there anything I'm missing that would generate a citation if caught with or without? 

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to take my PWCs out in Panama City.  Loved cruising around Shell Island and beaching in a remote spot all to ourselves.  There are plenty of places to explore back in the bay without going through the pass out into the gulf.  If it's not too choppy or wavy you can usually cruise across the channel and beach your boat on Shell Island behind the jetties.  If the gulf is calm you should have no problems taking it out through the channel and then down the gulf side of the island.

As for cleaning, I would recommend flushing your motor with Salt-Away and then washing the entire outside of the boat and trailer with it as well.  Then rinse it all off and you should be fine.

As far as the salt hurting anything on the boat."DON'T WORRY,BE HAPPY" and enjoy the Gulf waters. I'd be more worried about the weather.

As far as extra stuff on board,sounds like you will be in site of land at all times.Therefore you will be in cell phone range,so a radio is not necessary. But would be an extra precaution. 

And as far as cleaning goes, Flush the motor at the end of the day and spray the boat down with fresh water. Salt water is not ACID! So go for it. You'll love it.

You may get tempted to stick your nose out in the Gulf.  Just be careful of the weather.  It turns suddenly these days now and that 90HP is going to struggle in any kind of weather.  I'm overly anal about safety gear.  The cell phone is fine - unless you and/or it gets dunked or lost.  Cheap handheld VHF radios can be had for $40 and you'll get help much quicker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys, for easing my mind. If I venture out from behind the barrier of Shell Island, it would be only to ease west, along the beach, toward Destin, to some of the restaurants on the beach. I'm not going to go out away from the protection of shore. 

One other thing... do you have to stay out a certain distance from the beach, or is the rule that as long as you don't bottom out or get beaten up by the waves, you're good?

You may get tempted to stick your nose out in the Gulf.  Just be careful of the weather.  It turns suddenly these days now and that 90HP is going to struggle in any kind of weather.  I'm overly anal about safety gear.  The cell phone is fine - unless you and/or it gets dunked or lost.  Cheap handheld VHF radios can be had for $40 and you'll get help much quicker.

I agree with you about being anal regarding equipment as I have read some of your posts. Hey, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that, though. I admire those with the experience, knowledge, and fore-site to warn/teach others about what they know. I appreciate you. 

Thanks guys, for easing my mind. If I venture out from behind the barrier of Shell Island, it would be only to ease west, along the beach, toward Destin, to some of the restaurants on the beach. I'm not going to go out away from the protection of shore. 

One other thing... do you have to stay out a certain distance from the beach, or is the rule that as long as you don't bottom out or get beaten up by the waves, you're good?

Usually you can pull right up to the beach.  HOWEVER.....

1.  Occasionally there will be signs that say "no combustion engines" (mostly wildlife refuge areas).

2.  There may be "Idle Only" markers near the beach.  Simply idle up to the shore.

3.  If there's a fishing pier, you have to stay a certain distance (300-500') away from the pier.

I no longer beach my boat.  I'll take it in to about 3-4' of water and anchor.  It makes it easier come time to leave, and you don't get beat by the waves.

We had a blast! Got to do that some more. It was a long drive for two full days on the boat, but it was worth it. We left early Thursday morning about 6:00 and got there about 5:30 thanks to a lot of road construction. We didn't go back that way! 

Friday was a little less than perfect weather. We had some pretty good storms all around us, although it didn't hit us hard; just light rain occasionally. Saturday was picture perfect. We cruised the coast, anchored out from the beach, just inside the emerald colored water's edge, and spent several hours floating. It was so nice being out on the boat while the ones on the beach were almost shoulder to shoulder. I've posted some pics of our short trip. 

Back