Tell me what I already know... ??

Dmonnny123

Reaction score
My wife and I just bought a 2019 23SSBXP Premium with the Express Performance Package. (3 toon, lifting strakes, under water skin, etc) also has the seastar hydraulic with tilt option.

I signed the papers with a 115 Yamaha.

I'm having second thoughts..

They told me for 4k more I can get the 150 Yamaha.

Yes or no?

My situation: My wife and I have two boys (4) and (8). And keep it on a lake here in WI. I like speed when I need it. We will likely tube and maybe ski if I am up for it..

Will I be happy with the 115 or for 4k go with the 150?

That said, my previous Benny was a 2008 23' , 2 toon with a 90 hp Yamaha. Did the job but I always yearned for more hp.. will 115 fill that void with the new boat with 3 toons and strakes and Under water skin?

I would recommend going with the 150 if you plan to keep the boat long term. As your boys grow older you’ll appreciate the additional horsepower for water sports, etc.

this is a topic that comes up alot dmonnney. and the string always goes the same, we are all good at spending other peoples money, but there are a couple of things that get the vast majority behind it and i would say the biggest one is to get the HP you need up front. And the 115 vs 150 comes up the most. Get the 150, there seems to be a good jump between the 115 to 150 from what everyone on here states. I have the 200 and would not go any lower, so i do suggest the 150 to prevent any regret in the future. The only exceptions would be lack of funds or if you are on a very small body of water. Outside that you bought the ESP so to get the most out of it go 150 and enjoy the hell out of it!

Where else can we help you spend more money ... we like doing that here ... :D:D

My wife and I just bought a 2019 23SSBXP Premium with the Express Performance Package. (3 toon, lifting strakes, under water skin, etc) also has the seastar hydraulic with tilt option.

I signed the papers with a 115 Yamaha.

I'm having second thoughts..

They told me for 4k more I can get the 150 Yamaha.

Yes or no?

My situation: My wife and I have two boys (4) and (8). And keep it on a lake here in WI. I like speed when I need it. We will likely tube and maybe ski if I am up for it..

Will I be happy with the 115 or for 4k go with the 150?

That said, my previous Benny was a 2008 23' , 2 toon with a 90 hp Yamaha. Did the job but I always yearned for more hp.. will 115 fill that void with the new boat with 3 toons and strakes and Under water skin?
I would also strongly consider getting SPS for the full length 3rd toon. EPP is going to sit lower in the rear. It's probably more important than the engine upgrade (although you'll definitely want that too).

Last edited:
I would also strongly consider getting SPS for the full length 3rd toon. EPP is going to sit lower in the rear. It's probably more important than the engine upgrade (although you'll definitely want that too).

Ditto this advise on the hull. I believe the SPS is a huge thing to consider vs. the EPP. If you are already considering going up in HP due to boys growing over time and tubing and skiing, then I would almost prioritize going from an EPP to an SPS above the upgraded of 115 to 150. That was my immediate thought when I read the post.

That said, I do also agree with the advice above on the motor. As Dennis said above, probably one of the most asked questions is 115 v 150, and many on here went down the 115 road only to upgrade later. However, if only one of those two upgrades is in the budget, hull to SPS OR motor to 150, I might lean on the hull upgrade.

Without hesitation go with the 150. If you can swing it price the SPS you may find it’s not that much more, as it may include some of the options you are paying extra for now. We stretched the budget when we brought ours and are very glad we did. No regrets. To quote someone on this forum, “buy your last boat first.” It’s much cheaper that way.

We bought a boat with a 115 which was the max for it. Sold it after three months of use and bought a different one with sps and a 200. Don’t get the 115.

I would also suggest the 150 as well as the sps hull instead of the express. I had a 21ssrx with the express package and a 115. I now have a 23ssbxp with sps and the 150. The sps hull design turns so much sharper and just handles better. On the 115, with a loaded boat (11 people total)and pulling a tube, it would bog down and only run about 20 to 21 mph. You could not whip a tube around at all. On the 150, with a loaded boat I can still run around 30-32 (although 26 to 30 is all you really want). My top end speed with the 115 was 34.4 and with the 150 is 40.0 so far. Both the sps and the 150 are equally important, but your probably adding 6 to 7k with both. So, definitely stay within your budget and enjoy the boat no matter how it is equipped!!

Some great advise above. From your picture and the description of your family as well as your admitted fondness for speed when needed, the boat you signed up for will suffice for awhile but in a few short years you'll be buying another one. These boats are expensive and getting more so each year, so if you can swing it, take that advise and run with it. Either way, enjoy your new Benny...

Looks like you listened but just in case you're having doubts.... 150, 150, 150,150 , you'll be glad you did.

Well since we are spending your money and you will be towing; you may as well go look at the PTM Edge rear view mirrors.. Perfect safety and confidence building accessory to the already gorgeous Benny..

150/SPS. I have had an Express tube/115.

Take it from someone who has owned both, get the 150/SPS and you will NEVER regret it.

Yes spend the money!!!

So.... I went with the 150hp. They told me their cost was 4k difference and so I had no choice but to agree. Of course they don't have any 150 Yamahas in stock.. so I have one being ordered from Washington State. Said it would likely take a week. Not ideal.. but it's what it is iI suppose.

As far as the Express vs. the SPS.. I didn't even know that was something? Thought I saw the 3rd toon figured I was getting a tri toon.. now after reading these posts I'm super concerned

We already very much so maxed out our budget with all the add-ons this boat already comes with... Then had to drop another $4k today .

I figured more power was a good thing but I seriously cannot afford (or have the stones to tell my wife) we need to Shell out even more money now or it's gonna be a bad ride !! Ugh

Back