The best anchor

Geoffrey & Brenda

Reaction score
Hi All, i'm new to pontoon boats, but have had ski boats in the past. As many things about pontooning are similar to other types the one thing that crossed my mind is that my old mushroom anchor probably won't do the job. So i am looking for advise from you seasoned pontoon owners, what is the best anchor for my 20' pontoon? Shall we start a poll? We'll look forward to hearing your opinions! Thanks Geoffrey & Brenda

Hi All, i'm new to pontoon boats, but have had ski boats in the past. As many things about pontooning are similar to other types the one thing that crossed my mind is that my old mushroom anchor probably won't do the job. So i am looking for advise from you seasoned pontoon owners, what is the best anchor for my 20' pontoon? Shall we start a poll? We'll look forward to hearing your opinions! Thanks Geoffrey & Brenda
It depends on the ground you are anchoring to. We have a mud bottom and use a fluke type. Hope this helps.

Deckhand, I have a 22ft pontoon and I use the "box" anchor. It opens up to form a box and has "teeth" that grab the bottom. I have found that it holds in all types of bottoms and works well in the wind. There are 3 sizes. I have the small size and it works quite well. Hope this helps you some.

I use a 20LB navy anchor but have 100ft of 5/8 nylon rope attached in case i would need it

I only anchor at our lake's sandbar, and my fluke anchor won't hold on windy days. So I made a T out of 4" PVC and push that into the sand and it holds great, and I can tie to it with a short rope so no swinging into other boats.

Your mushroom anchor should work for a mud bottom lake, but you may need to use a 20lb. :)

I just purchased a slide box anchor. It is a little expensive compared to other anchors but the reviews were very good especially for sandy bottom lakes. I think a decent size fluke anchor works pretty well as long as you use a chain with it. Just my .02.

Deckhand, I have a 22ft pontoon and I use the "box" anchor. It opens up to form a box and has "teeth" that grab the bottom. I have found that it holds in all types of bottoms and works well in the wind. There are 3 sizes. I have the small size and it works quite well. Hope this helps you some.
All reviews point to this one being a good one. More dollars, but, works well with all kinds of bottoms. My $0.02.

I am also going to try the slide box anchor. I will post the results when I get on the water. Whoo Hoo

Hi All, Thanks for all the replies, it seems the box style is the favorite. So i'll get on the 'net and do some price shopping. Does the box anchor require a chain like the fluke does?

I find this anchor to be the best all around.

Here is a link to it.Anchor

Anchor.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm learning towards 2 - 18 lb River Anchors for my 20' SLI. I do most my boating on the Huron River & Chain of Lakes in Southeast Michigan.

Kinda forgot about this subject, with all the excitement getting out on the new boat. We got the small Slide box anchor, 50' anchor rope. This anchor works great! Was out yesterday, tied up with another toon and a 21' ski boat, just for kicks we pulled the other 2 anchors and the box held us all. In fairness it was not real windy, but when we tried the other toons danforth it let us drift. All in all i was impressed. The box does like to hold some mud, but a little sloshing on the way up cleaned it out pretty quick. Thanks for the input, my vote goes to the box!

Try this addition to any anchor system to make it work even better in choppy water.

http://g-p-a-s.com/

My box anchor has been working very well. I believe I have the medium size and it's been holding my toon and another 25ft toon.

Box anchor worked great. Held my boat and a 25 ft bowrider in 15 - 20 mph winds no problem.

Here in KY, our lake bottoms are shale with very little mud or sand to set anchor, so I can't speak to those conditions. A friend of mine used the box style anchor with little effectiveness (Our average depth is 90ft). I tried out a few different anchors and found that no matter where I am, the Digger Anchor holds better than all of the others. I also have to use a smaller river anchor to keep my stern from blowing all over the place.

My anchor was the only hook out this past weekend and had 3 go fast boats tied up to me. No one was moving.

I had been using a Chene anchor and even added a 5 foot chain to it and it would drift 50% of the time. We have muddy lake bottoms here in Texas and it should have dug in well but it never seemed to unless I put out 100' of rope in a 20' depth. Based on everyone's recommendation I bought the small box anchor and it sticks like glue. Drop it with a 2:1 rope length and it doesn't budge. Highly recommended.

The anchor that Fyrfightr posted is called a 'RICHTER ANCHOR' and works very well on Lake Cumberland and is the

pontooner's favorite here. It take up less room and fits in a 5 gal. plastic bucket for storage.

Thanks Fyrfighter, this is not a common anchor, but works great for most applications.

Back