The best anchor

The anchor that Fyrfightr posted is called a 'RICHTER ANCHOR' and works very well on Lake Cumberland and is the

pontooner's favorite here. It take up less room and fits in a 5 gal. plastic bucket for storage.

Thanks Fyrfighter, this is not a common anchor, but works great for most applications.
Your welcome, When I bought the first one at the Cincy boat show, I had never seen one before(no dealers stocked it). I works great and had one on all three boats we have. It always holds, even on Lake Cumberland's steep rocky bottom... :)

Here in KY, our lake bottoms are shale with very little mud or sand to set anchor, so I can't speak to those conditions. A friend of mine used the box style anchor with little effectiveness (Our average depth is 90ft). I tried out a few different anchors and found that no matter where I am, the Digger Anchor holds better than all of the others. I also have to use a smaller river anchor to keep my stern from blowing all over the place.

My anchor was the only hook out this past weekend and had 3 go fast boats tied up to me. No one was moving.
Same lake, different experience. I use the box anchor and have never had an issue. Other than that dang 90ft of water depth anchoring. Times like that, I really miss my windlass. I have been really impressed by the box anchors ability.

Same lake, different experience. I use the box anchor and have never had an issue. Other than that dang 90ft of water depth anchoring. Times like that, I really miss my windlass. I have been really impressed by the box anchors ability.
Glad to see there are so many of us at Lake Cumberland on here! Every time we tried the box anchor in deep water, you could feel the anchor skipping on the bottom with the boat. I don' think we were ever able to drop more than 150ft of line from his boat.

I use the digger with 250ft when I need to anchor in deep water. You do not use chain with this anchor. I will hop on the bottom for about 10 ft with the current and then you can feel it grab onto the bottom and won't let go. You jerk the line hard and the anchor dislocates to come up straight.

What's the weight on that Richter Anchor?

One day I'll make it to Lake Cumberland. At Nolan Lake in KY I use the medium size box anchor. I have found it holds very well since most of the lake bottom is mud. I did find one area on the lake where the anchor would not hold (70ft) unless I let out a lot of rope so the anchor sets a a 45 degree angle and digs into the bottom (must be shell rock).

i've got a 2275GCW and use the small box anchor and it's perfect. when we bought the boat the dealer gave us a danforth anchor and after reading the posts on here and researching I went and bought the box anchor. couldn't be happier with it. so far everytime it's grabbed on the first throw and has never drifted on us. really nice to lay flat for storage too.

I guess to add to my previous post the lake i'm in is for the most part a soft muddy bottom but there are parts that are rocky and hard clay too which is where the danforth anchor was useless and the box anchor works really well. I'm also anchoring in shallow water in the 10 to 20 foot range. when all else fails just run the boat up on the beach. LOL

I guess to add to my previous post the lake i'm in is for the most part a soft muddy bottom...
Same with me. I had a Chene anchor and it would drag 75% of the time. Went to the small box anchor and it sticks like glue every time. Works well in the Texas muddy lake bottoms but also works well with minimal rope length even in gravel areas. Very pleased with it.

Well I purchased the large box anchor...it should be here this week. I will let everyone know how it works.

Back