The dealer is "throwing in" a stainless prop. Which one?

Renegade34

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 2018 23' swingback (sps with 150hp merc 4 stroke) on order and the dealer is including a stainless prop but I'm not sure of which one to go with. From reading through threads on here it sounds like a 15x15p enertia is a pretty popular choice. Any suggestions? The boat will be used for tubing fairly often and have 4-6 adults and a few kids on board. It'll also have Sea Legs installed which will add about 450lbs.

Have you checked out the online Mercury prop selector to see what it recommends? The 15 pitch enertia seems like a good starting point for your set up, but it might be nice to see what the prop selector recommends too.

Also, have you talked to your dealer to see if they are good with you trying a couple props after delivery to dial in which one works best? Always nice to have the option on trying a couple loaners to make sure you get the performance you're looking for.

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/propellers/selector/#!/step-one

Yeah, the 15p on a stock boat, but with the Sea Legs, you'd better go to a 13p.

I wish trying different ones would be an option but I'm too far from my dealer to run them back and forth. Maybe sending them be courier would be an option I guess.
I'll check out the mercury prop selector. Thanks!

What diameter do you think? 15"?
Yes.

As was suggested above, before you sign the papers, have an agreement with your dealer that you will be "absolutely" satisfied with the prop you end up with.

My dealer swore up and down they tested my specific boat with several props to determine the "best" one. That was hogwash. I told them I wanted to experiment with a 15p (they selected the 13p) and they agreed that if I purchased a second prop (I put it on a cc) they would accept either back for a full refund if it was undamaged.

I "found" 5 miles an hour and lower rpms by going to the 15p, but as I said above, with your Sea Legs, that's not gonna happen on your boat.

See this thread for reference: http://club.benningtonmarine.com/threads/21-slxp-sps-merc-150-43-mph.6437/

You might try a 14p Enertia.

Thanks guys! What I might do is narrow it down to 3 props based on your guys' recommendations and purchase them when I pick up the boat with the understanding that I'll be returning 2 of them. Then at least I won't be propless while waiting for shipping. So far we have:
1. 15"x13p
2. 15"x14p enertia
3.?
I imagine there's slight differences between brands. Any that are favoured here more than others?

Well...if shooting for three, try the 15p as the third. However, I agree with the others above. Likely doing to need th 13p or 14p due to the Sea Legs.

Have fun dialing it in. Exciting times!

Back