Theft: props, stern drives, outboards

Tin Diesel

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of threads where there is a brief mention of the potential for theft of a prop - such as discussions on whether to keep the motor/drive in the water or tilted up at the marina. Even more alarming to me was the mention of possible theft of the stern drive, which I assume would mean the boat is out of the water (on trailer) and the concept could therefore include possible theft of an outboard (depending on weight).

We trailer our Benny and camp (in our Airstream), which means the boat can spend the night on the trailer at the boat ramp parking area. We also are going to be storing it in a covered (but not enclosed) commercial storage lot where there is easy-to-climb-over fencing around each covered stall and around the facility. I'm a bit concerned about my very shiny $575 piece of stainless steel!

I would think that even those who have their own boat house are at risk. My brother, from whom I bought the boat, had his parked where any boater could see the stern drive and the prop from all the way across the lake - and under cover of darkness come and take it. In 11 years nothing happened, but it occurs to me he might have been lucky.

I'm thinking of getting a prop lock (http://a.co/a8DEaXG) because of the amount of exposure I'll have on the trailer at campgrounds or even at storage. I may even get the stern drive lock, which operates on the same principal of a keyed nut (http://a.co/coxG54m).

I was wondering what other's thoughts and experiences are.

Also, I noted that the prop lock doesn't have the safety ring... is that a problem?

Last edited:
I had thought about it .Even though I am in a private marina ,the water is not . I figured if they want it take it, hopefully no damage trying to figure out the lock or vandalism because they couldn't get it .If they do get it ,that is what I pay insurance for

I just ordered one, this morning. I believe that when someone sees that on my motor/prop, they are not going to see it as a challenge, but will, probably 99% of the time, move on to the many thousands that aren't locked and will be available with only a quick turn of a wrench to remove it. Like with trailer locks. I have two on my trailer tongue. There are many boats that are sitting on trailers, on driveways or storage areas, that aren't locked. Why would someone go to all of the trouble to break locks when all they have to do is find that easy job of just hooking up the trailer and driving off. I surely have the insurance for the paid for value of the boat and trailer, but I really don't want the hassle of having to go through all of the red tape, plus the deductible out of pocket just because I didn't want to buy a $60 lock (which is insurance in itself). This is just my opinion and why I don't mind having a little extra insurance to make things harder for the criminals.

I have a prop lock on mine. My thoughts are they are not going to go into the effort of hacking at it and will move on to the next one without a lock on it. We're in a quiet cove so hopefully no issues but you never know.

Same here Randy with the tongue locks on my trailers. I don't want to deal with the hassle of a claim.

Lock my prop, lock my trailer. Cheap insurance.

I leave a wrench on the back in case they want to take the whole Yamaha 115 engine. Then I will get the 150

I leave a wrench on the back in case they want to take the whole Yamaha 115 engine. Then I will get the 150
Maybe you should leave a laminated detailed instruction set for the removal too, 'some' criminals aren't that bright!

My trailer coupler has a square end, so most of the trailer locks won't fit. And in any event many of the reviews indicate they're easy to knock off because the "universal fit" means they are loose on a 2 5/16 ball. I'm thinking of passing a heavy-duty chain through two of the wheels with a good lock. Anybody know of a reliable lock for a square coupler?

I use this one
71F4Cpa-qWL._SL500_SR160,160_.jpg

I know about the recent thing going around, showing how each they are easy to breach with a credit card, but there aren't a lot of locks that fit that square hitch with the brake controller on it, like most of us have.

That's the other one that I have on the tongue. So these are the two I lock up with. For the criminals looking for an easy and quick getaway, they would "probably" pass it up for the one that is no locked.

image001-jpg.22001

They both get used on the trailer for double trouble to the criminal.

Last edited:
Haha I like the way you think Link. I remember years ago when my dad was around he was so frustrated with a new car that kept leaving him stranded and the dealer couldn't figure it out. He left the keys in the ignition wherever he parked it for a year and no one ever touched that car. lol

Haha I like the way you think Link. I remember years ago when my dad was around he was so frustrated with a new car that kept leaving him stranded and the dealer couldn't figure it out. He left the keys in the ignition wherever he parked it for a year and no one ever touched that car. lol

Even the criminals knew it was a POS and would leave them stranded during the getaway!

I've got this for the surge brake. Really flimsy piece of junk that feels like I could pull it apart with my hands. I use it because I think it will stay in place better than the original pin. It is not going to deter a thief! And... I know I paid a lot less than $37.64, but can't remember how much.image001.jpg

Link, that is the funniest thing I've read in quite a while!!! I don't laugh out loud much at the stuff I read, but being a former 115 victim, that one really hit home, and I'm still laughing. That was awesome. Thanks for posting that!

My Dad tried to give an old mower away when I was a kid. It worked, just didn't need it and wanted to get rid of it. He sat it out at the curb in front of his print shop with a "Free" sign on it. It sat there for days. And this was in a fairly high crime area of town.

After a week or so, he put a sign on it saying "$50". Someone stole it that night.

My trailer coupler has a square end, so most of the trailer locks won't fit. And in any event many of the reviews indicate they're easy to knock off because the "universal fit" means they are loose on a 2 5/16 ball. I'm thinking of passing a heavy-duty chain through two of the wheels with a good lock. Anybody know of a reliable lock for a square coupler?

Car Wheel Lock,Anti Theft Tire Lock Clamp Boot Tire Claw Parking Car Truck RV Boat Trailer https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078K2FK51/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_Yq-1AbHBSPH4S

These work pretty well on trailer wheels.. around $50

^^^ I’ve got one of those, too. I used it on my custom golf cart. Thought abought putting it on the boat.

Back