Theft: props, stern drives, outboards

I put a prop lock on our Yamaha 150. We keep ours in our own private dock on a lift year round and are gone quite a bit so I was worried about someone stealing it. When I bought the lock from our dealer he told me that you know if a thief wants your prop with a prop lock on it he could just unbolt the whole lower unit and take it. Cheaper if he just takes the SS prop. Well I went ahead and put one on anyway. What are you going to do???

If you get those, you'll have PAD-locks...

My dealer rep said don't bother with prop lock--they rust and are hard to get off. Isn't that the point? My slip is at the end of a large dock at a 800 slip marina. If I was a thief it looks to me it would be easy to steal at night.
Thanks to all for the box anchor advice. Think I'll go with the knot.

I just ordered one, this morning. I believe that when someone sees that on my motor/prop, they are not going to see it as a challenge, but will, probably 99% of the time, move on to the many thousands that aren't locked and will be available with only a quick turn of a wrench to remove it. Like with trailer locks. I have two on my trailer tongue. There are many boats that are sitting on trailers, on driveways or storage areas, that aren't locked. Why would someone go to all of the trouble to break locks when all they have to do is find that easy job of just hooking up the trailer and driving off. I surely have the insurance for the paid for value of the boat and trailer, but I really don't want the hassle of having to go through all of the red tape, plus the deductible out of pocket just because I didn't want to buy a $60 lock (which is insurance in itself). This is just my opinion and why I don't mind having a little extra insurance to make things harder for the criminals.
Can it blend and work well alongside other locking equipment??

Back