Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

Broke my collarbone on Christmas Day last year. Played my first round of 2016 last Wednesday. It healed pretty quickly but golf wise it just hasn't felt right. I was afraid of taking a divot making contact w/the ground. Still going to take some time getting back to normal.....

I dislocated my right shoulder back in 2003 (MC accident).  Shredded my rotator cuff and tore the bicep tendon as well as 3 muscles between my shoulder and neck.  3 surgeries later and of course it still hurts but my golf game is better.  Probably because I swing half as hard.  I don't recommend that to improve your game but it certainly helped me.  I used to shoot 100-110.  Now, I average around 90 with lots of games in the low 80's.  Had two rounds last year in the upper 70's.

I dislocated my right shoulder back in 2003 (MC accident).  Shredded my rotator cuff and tore the bicep tendon as well as 3 muscles between my shoulder and neck.  3 surgeries later and of course it still hurts but my golf game is better.  Probably because I swing half as hard.  I don't recommend that to improve your game but it certainly helped me.  I used to shoot 100-110.  Now, I average around 90 with lots of games in the low 80's.  Had two rounds last year in the upper 70's.

Ah, the old "bicep tenodesis" surgery.  Had the same surgery done to my right shoulder about 9 years ago.  Healed perfectly.  My shoulder is as good as when I was a 20 year old, but you tearing up those shoulder muscles was probably the worst part.  I know that has to hurt!

Ah, the old "bicep tenodesis" surgery.  Had the same surgery done to my right shoulder about 9 years ago.  Healed perfectly.  My shoulder is as good as when I was a 20 year old, but you tearing up those shoulder muscles was probably the worst part.  I know that has to hurt!

It hurt but I also triple compound broke my left arm at the same time.  Now, that hurt!

Not as bad as you guys but I had a torn labrum before I retired. Doctors thought it was a torn rotator cuff but when they went in arthroscopicly they found that it was intact. So they drilled another hole and found the labrum tear. They had to reattach it to the bone. A little bit of PT........Good as new!!!

BK, the torn labrum is a B*TCH as well.  Still had to fuse to the bone for 8 weeks, right?

I bought my boat off the showroom floor.  Very few regrets, but I do regret it does not have the stainless rub rail.  Mine is anodized aluminum and is already showing wear.  Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to cover or clean it up.  I could install an OEM rub rail or aftermarket, but at this point the damage is already done.

Add it before it gets worse. Although if you hit it hard enough, it'll dent. I know.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I bought my boat off the showroom floor.  Very few regrets, but I do regret it does not have the stainless rub rail.  Mine is anodized aluminum and is already showing wear.  Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do to cover or clean it up.  I could install an OEM rub rail or aftermarket, but at this point the damage is already done.

Yes, definitely a option to check off. Luckily mine already had the "stainless" option when I bought it, but I'd highly recommend the "heavy duty" option at a minimum, to anyone purchasing a new boat.

I ordered it on both of mine! I don't know why dealers don't just add that on when ordering.

My aluminum rail right at the corner is dented due to our last outing. I left the little wife in charge of watching the boat while I went to get the trailer in place. I tied the front of the boat to the dock, since she usually keeps the boat parallel with the dock. While I was gone, someone allowed the boat to turn, creating contract between the rub-rail and the docking cleat. It now has a golf ball sized dent in the corner of the rail. :(

Now, I know to take the extra few seconds and tie bow and stern.

I'm in exactly the same boat (pun intended)!

I was 27 when I bought my first benny. 24 when I bought the lake house. I've never acted my age though.

We have a 2075 GL. I love the symmetric front loungers...paid extra for the G series just for the seats after looking at the 21 SLX. We only got the 90 HP Yamaha. I (135 lbs) got up on one ski easily and we have been able to pull tubers with several people on the boat. My brother (190 lbs.) got up on 2 skis behind the boat, but there was a lot of torque as he shot the wakes. Sometimes I regret not going for the 115 HP but mostly we just cruise on the boat and our lake is only 3 miles long. We didn't feel it was worth the extra money for the engine and resulting gas for those few fast outings/season...I have to remind myself sometimes!! I also almost got the 2275 so I could get the longer L seat lounge section in the stern area...but again, I have to remind myself that it was over $2000 for that extra 18 inches of seating! First world problems. Overall we love the boat!

We have a 2075 GL. I love the symmetric front loungers...paid extra for the G series just for the seats after looking at the 21 SLX. We only got the 90 HP Yamaha. I (135 lbs) got up on one ski easily and we have been able to pull tubers with several people on the boat. My brother (190 lbs.) got up on 2 skis behind the boat, but there was a lot of torque as he shot the wakes. Sometimes I regret not going for the 115 HP but mostly we just cruise on the boat and our lake is only 3 miles long. We didn't feel it was worth the extra money for the engine and resulting gas for those few fast outings/season...I have to remind myself sometimes!! I also almost got the 2275 so I could get the longer L seat lounge section in the stern area...but again, I have to remind myself that it was over $2000 for that extra 18 inches of seating! First world problems. Overall we love the boat!

While we all share a love of the water, how we do it is a pretty individual thing. It sounds to me as though you carefully considered where you boat and how you do it the majority of the time and then purchased something that met those parameters. Good for you! Very few things in life are perfect for all situations so having something that generally meets your needs most of the time is spot on in my book!

Enjoy your Benny... :)

Just found out my 21 SFX will arrive by April, and with that knowledge, I can now air my known regrets.

#1 Not joining Club Bennington at least a month before I ordered! Should have done it last summer when I knew I was going to buy a Benny. The members here have been so helpful and informative, it warms the heart. There's nothing like real-world experience with a product to weigh against (or bolster) manufacturer's claims. And it's great the way many folks here sometimes prank one another, it's reminds me of other forums (non-pontoon related) that I'm a member of, almost like family. Also a member of forums where the moderators will jump on a member for the least digression from the subject to the point one doesn't dare post.

#2 Not making an effort to try a pontoon boat out, with different options. Ever since June 2016, I'd planned on ordering a Benny 20' 'toon. It's likely that had I asked, the dealer would have given me opportunities to try some out. That would have limited some of my previous questions to the forum, like real-world difference between standard cable steering and the 2 different power steering upgrades.

#3 Not ordering a 21 SFXAPG instead of the SFX. I had a certain budgetary limit in mind when I went it to place my order late last month, but when I discovered the dealer was giving about 20% discount, I opted for a 21 SFX. A week later, when my credit check cleared, he convinced me to upgrade from the 90 I ordered to a 115 Vmax and elliptical pontoons. Grateful for that! However, a week later when I learned that the Dual Stern Gate feature for the SFX is actually an extended aft deck, and the extra cost seemed well worth the added $, I tried to upgrade to the SFXAPG. Didn't get word that it wasn't possible to make that change until this morning, so really regretting that. Based on what I see on the forum regarding some other Benny owner's/prospective buyers interactions with their dealers, I'd say that mine isn't that interested in doing much extra once they get the depo$it.

My advice as a clueless noob to those who are even less informed is to see regrets #1 and 2 above. Join this forum ASAP if you plan on buying a Bennington, even if that won't be for a while. In my case, better late than never!

Just found out my 21 SFX will arrive by April, and with that knowledge, I can now air my known regrets.

#1 Not joining Club Bennington at least a month before I ordered! Should have done it last summer when I knew I was going to buy a Benny. The members here have been so helpful and informative, it warms the heart. There's nothing like real-world experience with a product to weigh against (or bolster) manufacturer's claims. And it's great the way many folks here sometimes prank one another, it's reminds me of other forums (non-pontoon related) that I'm a member of, almost like family. Also a member of forums where the moderators will jump on a member for the least digression from the subject to the point one doesn't dare post.

#2 Not making an effort to try a pontoon boat out, with different options. Ever since June 2016, I'd planned on ordering a Benny 20' 'toon. It's likely that had I asked, the dealer would have given me opportunities to try some out. That would have limited some of my previous questions to the forum, like real-world difference between standard cable steering and the 2 different power steering upgrades.

#3 Not ordering a 21 SFXAPG instead of the SFX. I had a certain budgetary limit in mind when I went it to place my order late last month, but when I discovered the dealer was giving about 20% discount, I opted for a 21 SFX. A week later, when my credit check cleared, he convinced me to upgrade from the 90 I ordered to a 115 Vmax and elliptical pontoons. Grateful for that! However, a week later when I learned that the Dual Stern Gate feature for the SFX is actually an extended aft deck, and the extra cost seemed well worth the added $, I tried to upgrade to the SFXAPG. Didn't get word that it wasn't possible to make that change until this morning, so really regretting that. Based on what I see on the forum regarding some other Benny owner's/prospective buyers interactions with their dealers, I'd say that mine isn't that interested in doing much extra once they get the depo$it.

My advice as a clueless noob to those who are even less informed is to see regrets #1 and 2 above. Join this forum ASAP if you plan on buying a Bennington, even if that won't be for a while. In my case, better late than never!

Don't beat yourself up! You are going to really love your new boat just as it comes. 

Don't worry Maniac, sounds like PADS virus has already peaked its ugly little head in your brain cells .....  :lol:  

By this time next year you'll be ordering a 24SFZPXAGP with a 200 .....  :blink:

Don't worry Maniac, sounds like PADS virus has already peaked its ugly little head in your brain cells .....  :lol:  

By this time next year you'll be ordering a 24SFZPXAGP with a 200 .....  :blink:

LOL, yeah, I studied up on PADS & if anyone is vulnerable, it's me. That said, however, I'm drawing a line here and now: at 60 years of age, I'm too old to upgrade in the future, plus I'll be retired in 2 years so I'll have to scrape by on limited income ;) which is one reason why I'm now 40% over budget! Of course, that number would be even higher if Bennington wasn't thwarting my plans to spend more  :angry: So I'm getting what I want, (almost) now.

SEMPERFI18387, your suggestion that I get a 24' brings forth yet another Clueless Noob (I should have taken that for my forum name!) story. Four years ago, when I decided there would be a pontoon boat in my future, I decided I couldn't have a boat without a building to store it for the winter. Figuring I'd probably get a 24' boat, I built a garage 28' long, figuring that would give me 4' extra to get past the boat with the big door closed.

You can finish the story for me, and please try not to laugh too hard, I have feelings . . .

Don't beat yourself up! You are going to really love your new boat just as it comes. 

No doubt about it! Regret #4 is not getting a 'toon sooner, although it's only been the last 2 years that I've been able to take my 7 weeks vacation during July and August. Also didn't want to get one until I could store it securely at Camp.

Back