Things I would change (formerly Regrets)

If you're getting brakes just get the stainless disk brakes right up front. Will be the best money you spent on the trailer after a little bit of use. If you're in Pa you need brakes on anything over 3000lbs. If you have any additional axles they must have brakes on each axle. Told my NY dealer this and he just looked at me funny! Go figure! :)  

If you're getting brakes just get the stainless disk brakes right up front. Will be the best money you spent on the trailer after a little bit of use. If you're in Pa you need brakes on anything over 3000lbs. If you have any additional axles they must have brakes on each axle. Told my NY dealer this and he just looked at me funny! Go figure! :)  

Never really heard of stainless trailer brakes, I would think they would all be stainless given what the trailer is designed for. While I have no intention of using my boat in salt water, it makes sense for fresh water as well. I haven't been to the dealership I ordered the boat from in over a month but am due to go there and look at things similar to mine like the  console, to check if i have room for a 7" flush mount fish finder on the left where the radio normally is. Also want to check out a wave shield as I didn't think to add it to my build & by the time I was viewed the video here a forum member's wife took of the water flying off the toons & pounding the underside of the deck, it was too late to add it to my order. :(

Do you folks unplug the electrical connection your trailers before backing into the water? That's been the order of the day around these parts for as long as i can remember, well before the advent of LED lighting.

I had electric brakes and I did disconnect. Even though the trailer was designed for wet conditions. I plugged back in just as the prop was out of the water. This gave water time to drain on the ramp. I usually pulled out when it was just me at the ramp or it was not busy.

I don't unplug, my trailer has hydraulic disc and unless I unplug at the last minute it just makes it a PIA. Lights have not been an issue.

Do you folks unplug the electrical connection your trailers before backing into the water? That's been the order of the day around these parts for as long as i can remember, well before the advent of LED lighting.

With my previous boat, I did not unplug and had no problem with my LED lights.

Trailer lights now a days are sealed, I didn't unplug on my last trailer and I don't on this one.  

Most new trailers with disc brakes (which grab much more in reverse) have (or should have) a 5 wire harness that disables the brakes in reverse. So then the light harness needs to stay connected. As stated by others, with sealed LED lights, shouldn't be a problem.

Most new trailers with disc brakes (which grab much more in reverse) have (or should have) a 5 wire harness that disables the brakes in reverse. So then the light harness needs to stay connected. As stated by others, with sealed LED lights, shouldn't be a problem.

So grateful to all for the input. The short time I owned a boat and trailer, it was old stuff, from the 90's I believe. Never heard of brakes being automatically disabled in reverse and such.

Funny thing, I just learned last night that a shift mate of mine has a pontoon boat. He has no trailer and when he wanted to move it once, he tried in vain to rent a trailer for a day. He thinks I could make good $ if I bought a scissor-type trailer and rented it out when not using it, which will pretty much be all summer. Food for thought, as it looks like I might need that type of trailer to put my boat in it's winter storage. 

From someone in risk management/insurance, I suggest you discuss that with your agent/broker and insurer before making the final decision. Me personally, I wouldn't want to be named on a lawsuit because some yahoo took a curve too fast and killed a family of four using my trailer. Suddenly the $40 rental ins't worth it.

I'm a little more risk adverse than most but you can't get burned if you don't play with fire.

From someone in risk management/insurance, I suggest you discuss that with your agent/broker and insurer before making the final decision. Me personally, I wouldn't want to be named on a lawsuit because some yahoo took a curve too fast and killed a family of four using my trailer. Suddenly the $40 rental ins't worth it.

I'm a little more risk adverse than most but you can't get burned if you don't play with fire.

I'll mention that to my insurance people when go to get the boat insured. Didn't think that I might be liable for someone elses' misuse of my trailer!  It's looking like my best course of action could be to get a quality tandem axle trailer so I can confidently haul longer distances. Come summer, I'll start asking around if anyone local has a scissor trailer I can rent for when I want to take the boat out of the lake in the Fall & haul it 6 miles over dirt roads at 30 mph. Vice-versa for Spring.

Having a capable tandem alxe will give me the option to haul distance, maybe down in the southern US so I can take a river trip in the winter. Was reading a thread somewhere about a fellow who is planning a 900 mile river trip through lakes, locks, etc & it sounds like it would be a great experience and a fun way to see the country. I'm not real keen on hanging out in Maine come winter after I retire, would like to visit warmer climates!

My 2275 RCW from tip to tail is 26' 10.5" ,on the trailer it is 33.5' (although that number isn't as exact as my LOA (just boat) measurement 

Just coming back to review this topic:  My next Tritoon will absolutely be a windscreen type.  In Maine the nights still get chilly and I miss the windscreen of my bowrider.

Just coming back to review this topic:  My next Tritoon will absolutely be a windscreen type.  In Maine the nights still get chilly and I miss the windscreen of my bowrider.

It's always cold in Maine.  :p

It's always cold in Maine.  :p

Does Bennington offer a taller windshield? The one that's coming with my 21SFX is very short, almost looks useless. I don't expect I'll be doing a lot of WOT boating at night here in Maine but it sure is nice to have some protection at times!

Last edited by a moderator:
A taller windshield at the helm might help a little, but I don't think too much.  That wind will still hit you since it is such a small square footage windshield.  I will just have to save up more money for my next boat and get the complete windscreen across the whole width of the boat :)

A taller windshield at the helm might help a little, but I don't think too much.  That wind will still hit you since it is such a small square footage windshield.  I will just have to save up more money for my next boat and get the complete windscreen across the whole width of the boat :)

I get your drift. A full-face helmet it is! :p

This topic came to mind after reading another thread in which a new purchase morphed into a discussion about the size of the motor.  I am not sure if this exists already, but I thought it would be a good spot for owners to communicate their regrets or mistakes when purchasing their boat.  Thus it could serve as a more concise reference instead of having to scour through hundreds of threads.  For example, I added the extra wide captains chair on my 2014 2350 RBR.  I love the chair, but it narrowed the walkway between the chair and the bar counter enough that I wish I had gone with the normal sized chair.

jsur,

I know this is a post from 2016, but I have to ask you, just what the hell where you thinking? By narrowing the walkway you have a very good chance of spilling your adult beverage!! Shaking head with tear in one eye.

D&D

It's a classic catch 22!  If I go with the narrow chair, I don't spill my beverage.  However, if I don't spill my beverage, I consume more calories thus needing the extra wide chair.  

Give in to the dark side and may the 4th be with you

Back