Thinking about installing a pool in my backyard

Rockie69

Reaction score
as I did the research to find the best pontoon manufacture. Curious if anyone knows who the best in ground or semi in ground pool manufacture is? I've been watching Lucas Lagoons and I think Eastern Iowa is the perfect place to put a pool! (Looking a year out, just starting to ask questions.)

We put a pool in our backyard in 2004.  It was one of those solid fiberglass one piece pool.. Not a huge pool it's 14' x 32' with a 6' deep end but we love it.  Fiberglass takes less chemicals and is quite a bit warmer than other types.  We do have a natural gas heater but really only use it in the Spring and again in the fall.  We will usually do a close the pool party at night in mid October; I heat it up to 100 degrees and we have quite a bonfire going.  I have a Bose outdoor system with 4 speakers around the pool which rocks our friends and neighbors.  We do a clamsteam/pool party every year as well.  Telling you this so you will see that a backyard pool can work well even when you have a boat 

Fiberglass is what I am leaning towards, still learning about saltwater vs. chemical.... Etc, etc. There are some that are insulated and for sure, I'll be installing a heater. Thanks for the insight and real world dealings.

We installed a 20X40 3 Septembers ago, I would highly recommend saltwater. Its a larger investment initially but all you have to do is add salt to the pool a couple times a year and it is very simple to maintain. I just check the free chlorine levels every couple days and adjust the chlorine generator as needed (rarely do I have to do anything as it is usually in the correct range). We also have a Hayward heat pump which I would also  highly recommend. It is a lot cheaper to run than a traditional heater, we will open the pool the second week of April and swim through October and just use the heat pump for the first few weeks we open the pool and usually all of October. Get a good solar cover also it will really help the pool retain heat and keep the chlorine level balanced.

We installed a 20X40 3 Septembers ago, I would highly recommend saltwater. Its a larger investment initially but all you have to do is add salt to the pool a couple times a year and it is very simple to maintain. I just check the free chlorine levels every couple days and adjust the chlorine generator as needed (rarely do I have to do anything as it is usually in the correct range). We also have a Hayward heat pump which I would also  highly recommend. It is a lot cheaper to run than a traditional heater, we will open the pool the second week of April and swim through October and just use the heat pump for the first few weeks we open the pool and usually all of October. Get a good solar cover also it will really help the pool retain heat and keep the chlorine level balanced.
Thank you! What geographical region are you located? I'm liking the sounds of April thru Oct!!!!!

I'm in Pittsburgh so the weather varries drastically in April and October. We are getting snow flurries tonight and Thursday its going to be 73 degrees. We have had the heat pump set to 88 and swam when it was below 40 degrees before.

I'm more pessimistic about the pool. Thought about it. Then thought about the maintenance, insurance, etc. .. It's like mod boat owners. Being used less and less each year.

Country club membership ended up being the better deal and I got an RCW out of it

Golf courses are a waste of good hunting ground. (I golf a couple times a year) lol. My thought is the more pool I put in the less I have to mow! But, I do get what you're saying, there are other alternatives. I could buy a dirt bike, atv, or utv and spend all my time on the 600 acres close by... But, I'm looking to entertain multiple people, from 1 to 50.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have found the more toys you have, the less time you have to enjoy them. I feel like I spend all my time running around and maintaining them and hardly use them. For example, with my wife pregnant using the hot tub is a no no so last fall I decided to turn down the heat (80 degrees) instead of draining it and having it dry out/freeze during the winter. I've checked it periodically throughout winter and watched the chemicals etc. to ensure no issues. Last night I checked and it was showing 45 degrees! It was throwing a flow error on the circ pump causing the heater to trip off. Turns out although the water was crystal clear and not being used in months the filter got just dirty enough to cause a flow issue. Easy fix and new filters are ordered and the temperature has returned to normal. Just promise me one thing, if there is enough left over you’ll fly us all down for the opening. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]
Eddie_zpsba6jr3t4.jpg
[/SIZE]

I might have a reveal party like Maker One did only in reverse, my boat uncovered in a pool and the rest of the area shrouded in mystery.

Hard to believe how many people have in-ground and above ground pools here on The Lake Front

Not my thing but Congratulations, I am sure you will enjoy it on those Hott Summer Days 

TRAF_webgraphic.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Over the years I've learned what toys to buy and what toys not to buy.........for example......we've had hot tubs at each of our houses. We learned the longer we had one the less and less we used them. Result......no hot tub in the new house. Same goes for that pool table, ping pong table, slot machine, foosball table, shuffleboard table, etc etc that we had to have........

Not trying to discourage you from getting your pool. Just think about if you really need/want it and will you be using it 5, 10 yrs. down the road.......

The only thing we miss from our home in NJ is our pool. We used it all the time and loved it. Suzi would get home from work and I'd be asleep on a float in the pool. Maintenance wasn't bad but the electric and gas bills were another story, and that's why we don't live there anymore. Go for the pool.   B)

Thanks all. I think I'll go for it, but I think I'll walk a little slower than I did with the Benny. I think looking and asking for a year should be about right.

I have both a fiberglass pool and gunite. I prefer fiberglass.

Cheers, Steve

We had a pool in ground while our kids were growing up It was great. Back then it created a lot more work. As the kids got into there teens it was used less, EXCEPT when the wife and I were boating. Now that the kids are married and kids of their own, we hear stories of the goings on when we weren't there. I never attended a  "MIXED SKINNY DIP PARTY" when I was growing up. My folks didn't have a pool. Sounds like I may have missed out on some fun. I love parties.

We had those back in the day only it was in farm ponds. Crazy how you could careless about swimming with snapping turtles in a pond, but, the second you're swimming naked and somone yells turtle. You're out of the water like a lighting bolt.

I'm picturing that scene from wild hogs and the pond.

Back