Thinking of downsizing/sell/trade

The SuBe

Reaction score
Hi; first post! Bought in 2015 a new 21 SLX, loaded, 115 HP Yamaha 4 stroke, ski/tow bar, tri-toon, capt. chair, bluetooth, seats 10, low low hours, acid power-washed and stored inside annually, only taken out like 4x a yr SE Wisc lake. I just don't use it enough, can't get big parties of friends anymore to go, etc. Want to either sell, trade in to a dealer and/or downsize to maybe the 16 8 narrow beam, or a deck boat. To my fellow Bennington affectionados please, any ideas? Should I advertise in local print & outside, Boat Trader.com, back to the dealer or another dealer? I don't know where to start. I've been looking at NADA prices for value but this is my 1st boat. Thanks for any help!! Also should I do this now or wait til Spring 

When I sold my 2013 after 3 months of use I listed it on craigslist and got what I paid for it. (lost the sales tax). The dealer wanted to Bill Cosby me on a trade. If it is clean, and in good shape it will sell fast.

+1 on Craigslist if you want to try for top dollar. I traded mine through dealer and they treated me quite fair on my trade.I probably could have eaked out $1500 more privately, but I got at least $850 in savings on pull/storage fees (waived) and I didn't have to mess with tire kickers. It was worth it to me for no hassle, hand over the keys and hop on my new one. 

I contacted a dealer and he told me that he'd give me x # $ for mine, but I wasn't going to trade it in and take a $8000. hit on what I paid for it, especially after adding the extras. They mainly look at the trade in value, and pay absolutely no attention to the options that were put on from the dealer or from you, so I'd let mine sit in the yard and rot before trading in. I'll post mine and sell it to an individual. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Dealers are pretty much going to go by NADA pricing.  On the NADA site, you can put in some extras, but dealers use that book as the bible.

Thanks so much, you guys, for these great ideas! I'll take them all seriously. Will keep you posted.

If you are not using your current boat the same thing is going to happen to any other downsized boat you get. Think long and hard before you do anything. If you sell too quick you may get buyers remorse and wish you didn't sell. Do you have kids? Why aren't you using the boat? 

Just take a deep breath before you do anything........

If you are not using your current boat the same thing is going to happen to any other downsized boat you get. Think long and hard before you do anything. If you sell too quick you may get buyers remorse and wish you didn't sell. Do you have kids? Why aren't you using the boat? 

Just take a deep breath before you do anything........

He makes a good point. We hardly ever have company, but bought a G23 that's 25' overall deck. Even though we don't "need" all that space it's nice to have it, and if we  do "need" it, we won't regret not having it. We started with a much smaller toon and advanced up. Barring financial issues, I'd never go smaller now. 

Good point from the last two boaters. I'm not in a real hurry, the money is already spent on the purchase, and it is a beautiful boat, loaded. My original vision was to have different friends on it every weekend day, partying, and also my grandkids tubing etc. (I'm a young grandparent!) But they have their own lives and hardly come. Plus too big for me to tow so in 1 lake all year. The NADA price is good if I can get it. I'll relax a bit and think hard, I don't want to tip my hand and go back to the dealer lest they low-ball me, only as maybe last resort. Thanks much!! I appreciate all comments!

Thanks, guys, great help. Am thinking of keeping it, beautiful boat, getting on it more now. Friends coming around! Might just switch lakes, take it to like a chain of lakes or something, for different environment. Will keep you posted. Thanks again for your support.

Sure we like taking people on the boat and hanging out in a No awake cove swimming/floating or taking them skiing/wakeboarding/tubing but 99% of the time it's just my wife and I. Enjoy it no matter how you use it!

You are so right. Just hanging is cool. When you tell people you want to sell it, now they want to go on it. One guy mentioned buyer's remorse; I was getting that just preparing to sell it! And a new boating friend and their fam/kids has summer home on a chain around here and offered to dock it there, keep costs down. Thanks and happy boating. Will keep you guys posted.

You are so right. Just hanging is cool. When you tell people you want to sell it, now they want to go on it. One guy mentioned buyer's remorse; I was getting that just preparing to sell it! And a new boating friend and their fam/kids has summer home on a chain around here and offered to dock it there, keep costs down. Thanks and happy boating. Will keep you guys posted.

SuBe what lake are you on in SE Wisconsin?I grew up in Twin Lakes on Lake Elizabeth.  My brother has a Bennington on Lake Mary. It has been 41 years that my family has had boats on those lakes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey glad to hear local lakes. Browns Lake. Lake Mary is nice, also Lake Elizabeth. I like the smaller lakes, have friend on Lake Como near Lake Geneva which is nice, lake Geneva too rough.

Hey glad to hear local lakes. Browns Lake. Lake Mary is nice, also Lake Elizabeth. I like the smaller lakes, have friend on Lake Como near Lake Geneva which is nice, lake Geneva too rough.

Yep know it well and  agree the small lakes in that area are very nice. 

hey happy 2018. all winter thinking about it, (selling 2015 21 SLX) got 3 different broker consignment prices from dealers (you name price, they advertise, try to sell and take percentage) but all seemed too low for me, lower than NADA prices. might just keep it! will keep you posted, and yes a bit of seller's remorse. going to really start enjoying it, talking it up and friends magically appear! grandkids too lol!

Put it on Craigslist. It will sell itself. Otherwise you’ll get hosed.

Back