Thinking of installing a 425 XTO Yamaha

CcanDo

Reaction score
Considering replacing an excellent Yamaha 350 with a 425. Opinions...?

The new F350 has only been mounted on a Bennington 2575, and runs great.

Last edited by a moderator:
The XTO 425 weighs 219 lbs more than the 350. It comes in at 999 lbs.
Would you have to do any weight modifications to balance out the extra weight on the rear?

As Yianni stated - The weight is off the chart on those things and I'm guessing the price would be also. ?
Have you considered a Nizpro Supercharged 4.2 Yamaha with more power and 400 lbs less weight?

I love my verado 350! Boat runs 50-53MPH WOT! Doesn't need more speed in my opinion! Enjoy the new power though!

Stand back and watch what Lloyd (CCanDo) does with his new motor. He knows more about boat setup than probably all of us combined, so it should be fun to watch and learn!

Welcome back CCanDo!

I just wish I was able to even consider an engine up grade let alone a 425!!! :)
That’s awesome!

The XTO 425 weighs 219 lbs more than the 350. It comes in at 999 lbs.
Would you have to do any weight modifications to balance out the extra weight on the rear?
He can always add sand to the bow. I'm sorry couldn't resist ..........

Welcome back CC, your knowledge and advice was missed

preview-1447177627Wheelee.jpg

Just to humor you sand baggers, race boats (e.g. Fountain) sometimes use ballast tanks in the bow and/or midship, to balance out the boat by affecting CG. Water can be pumped in and out to get it just right. So there you have it!

350 isn't enough?!? Someone has "Tim Taylor" disease!!

350 isn't enough?!? Someone has "Tim Taylor" disease!!

Sure, 350 is enough, so are oars ! Lol.... We don't have a business model in place for more power, but do believe pontoon boats are still in their infancy. Psychology has society dependent on commodities of life; food, shelter, and clothing. But, wait, there is another, though abstract, RECREATION. Recreation comes with many disguises. Subject to budget, one may have a variety, or choose one, a boat, an airplane, Caribbean, second, third and etc. home, vacation, the pub, etc. However, recreation also includes pride of ownership, and competitiveness.

We also, have a pristine, two times world champion off shore race boat that requires a driver and throttle man. That boat is a piece of unforgiving machinery. The observer expects it to be fast, though the owner of the $500 K cruiser may see it with a bit of scorn. The problem with that boat when compared to the performance pontoon, the design is for a specific application. It's designed for one thing, RACE, but not real relaxing fun.

The performance Pontoon boat can have the best of several worlds. Starting with the new $500K cruiser that sees the "Low Life" pontoon struggling to keep up the pace while the new cruiser engines are being broke in, the Cruiser Caption toasts his crew as he adds a little power, expecting to see "Low Life" in the rear view mirror. That tussle goes on until, low and behold, the Pontoon grabs another gear and flies on past. Expect the Captain to look in the opposition direction while the Captains lady performs a tongue and finger lashing on him. After all, the cruiser has two engines, cost considerable more dollars, prettier, so how can this be happening ??

That example may not appeal to everyone, but it's just one example of my opinion of having fun. Oh, then there is the over engineered ski boat with limitations.

Nothing is better than passing a fiberglass boat with just a “pontoon” boat. The looks you get are awesome. Just did it this weekend and felt ohh so good!! Just remember..... having too much horsepower is like having too much money or too much fun!!!

Back