Third Bennington Purschase

Dtaylor2954

Reaction score
Took the third Bennington out yesterday for the sea trail, before taking it down to it's new home on Lake Martin, Alabama. Traded the second Bennington for a Crest two years ago, glad to be back in the Bennington family. Nothing fancy just the 200HP, Power Steering and the Reliance Prop.

Attachments

• IMG_2689 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2689 - Copy.jpg
    299.8 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_2691 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2691 - Copy.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_2690 (1) - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2690 (1) - Copy.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2688 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2688 - Copy.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2642 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_2642 - Copy.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2687.jpg
    IMG_2687.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 108
"I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see!"

LOL. Welcome back, brother!

Welcome back. Is the “third time a charm” for you? Hope so, and have fun!

Congrats on the “boomerang”. What pitch prop?

I personally found the Reliance didn’t have enough bite below 4K rpm (terrible slip%, poor efficiency etc) but mine was a 14.25 x 17. Top speed was adequate. I think with pontoons and how heavy they can drag in the water diameter is critical. Hopefully you have a 14.5d or greater.

See you on the water!

Congrats on the new boat!

Sweet! Welcome home.

Congrats on the “boomerang”. What pitch prop?

I personally found the Reliance didn’t have enough bite below 4K rpm (terrible slip%, poor efficiency etc) but mine was a 14.25 x 17. Top speed was adequate. I think with pontoons and how heavy they can drag in the water diameter is critical. Hopefully you have a 14.5d or greater.

See you on the water!
Are 14.24 a bad prop for pontoons?

I have a 300hp so sounds like it isn't the correct pro
You really should like the specs and performance thread that is stickies in one of the sub-forums. I think you will find your motor, and a similar boat so as to check out what prop(s) to explore. Is it a Yamaha 300? Model, hull, layout? Some of this might lead to someone with nearly your exact boat chiming in with a good recommendation.

I have a 300hp so sounds like it isn't the correct pro
Holy cow! Yes, if you have a 14.25 diameter you are just wasting that power (imo). I would think at least a 14.5 or even 15" diameter, but as Viking mentioned lots of posts on this. Also go to Yamaha's performance bulletin page and look up your model or similar and that can be a starting point.

Do you have any performance numbers at this time?

Holy cow! Yes, if you have a 14.25 diameter you are just wasting that power (imo). I would think at least a 14.5 or even 15" diameter, but as Viking mentioned lots of posts on this. Also go to Yamaha's performance bulletin page and look up your model or similar and that can be a starting point.

Do you have any performance numbers at this time?
47mph @5500rpm, two people 50gal.fuel, it fills as if it gets to 5500rpm with little to no strain on the engine, almost like it hits the rev limiter @ that rpm

47mph @5500rpm, two people 50gal.fuel, it fills as if it gets to 5500rpm with little to no strain on the engine, almost like it hits the rev limiter @ that rpm
That's actually pretty good top speed, but the RPM is curious. From a previous post looks like you have an 18p? which that 300 should have no problems hitting 6000rpm with, especially with a 14.25 diameter. For reference I can hit 5800 RPM with a 17p on a 250HP with 1.75 gear ratio.

Something seems off. If you have a mechanical throttle maybe a cable needs adjusting. Or something is inducing drag on the boat - wave shield (y/n)? toon growth? Motor could be raised to gain some RPM, top speed and efficiency.

I still think more diameter would help - maybe a 14.5 x 17p Enertia which is a very popular prop on pontoons. But ultimately consultation with a dealer or prop expert (Ken @ Prop Gods or Brett @ BBlades) should be considered. I think you have you definitely have some performance improvement available.

That's actually pretty good top speed, but the RPM is curious. From a previous post looks like you have an 18p? which that 300 should have no problems hitting 6000rpm with, especially with a 14.25 diameter. For reference I can hit 5800 RPM with a 17p on a 250HP with 1.75 gear ratio.

Something seems off. If you have a mechanical throttle maybe a cable needs adjusting. Or something is inducing drag on the boat - wave shield (y/n)? toon growth? Motor could be raised to gain some RPM, top speed and efficiency.

I still think more diameter would help - maybe a 14.5 x 17p Enertia which is a very popular prop on pontoons. But ultimately consultation with a dealer or prop expert (Ken @ Prop Gods or Brett @ BBlades) should be considered. I think you have you definitely have some performance improvement available.
They are going to be on my call list this week, I feel 5500 rpm is the rev limiter because it doesn't fluctuate any even if you adjust the trim either direction, but we have had the boat it the water once for about a 30 minute trip and this is my first outboard and first pontoon, the engine is a demo off of a saltwater twin engine boat, I feel certain it had that prop on it for that use.

Back