This look ok? Taking a long trip...

Dmonnny123

Reaction score
Just took the brand new boat out of the water for the first time today. We bought a brand new bunk trailer as well. The trailer shop had the boat specs but the rear toons were hanging off like 3 feet! That can’t be right??

So..I adjusted the ladder/winch and this is where I’m at now... the back toons are lined up with the bunks at the back. Looks better imo.

Does this look ok regarding the trailer, the straps / locations etc?

I can’t get it to touch both of the front bumpers.. I think the stairs/winch might be a little crooked.. but it is close.

Anything I should change with this setup before my first road trip tomorrow?
AA66D391-0D7A-4ED8-9F61-550498D99BD9.jpeg E4692464-789A-491D-8FE0-8B6D2AD56163.jpeg 95B5E5D7-21E4-45F3-9E1D-1B8EDF6E4439.jpeg 502785BF-38E8-4D1F-ACDA-A817A395F85A.jpeg

Last edited:
Couple suggestions. You have to have the front of your boat firmly up against the carpeted stops of the trailer. If you don't it will bounce when you hit a bump etc. Get a safety chain with S hooks on it and put it between the loop of your center toon and the loop below it on the trailer. If your winch strap breaks the safety chain will hold the boat in place. In the rear get yourself some heavy duty ratcheted straps that go from the welded loops on the rear of the toon DIRECTLY to the loops on the trailer next to the tail light. It's stronger, neater, and you don't have to tie knots and route the straps all over the back of the boat.

You need to make sure the trailer is properly balanced now. Should have around 10% of the total weight at the hitch.

Also - your hitch is too low. The trailer rails should be level. You can see, at the fenders, that there’s more weight and pressure on the front tires.

It take it loaded back to the place that built the trailer and have them adjust it all.

You need to make sure the trailer is properly balanced now. Should have around 10% of the total weight at the hitch.

Also - your hitch is too low. The trailer rails should be level. You can see, at the fenders, that there’s more weight and pressure on the front tires.

It take it loaded back to the place that built the trailer and have them adjust it all.

It’s also on a slight angle going downhill on the road... that said... I am taking it up north tomorrow.. I don’t have the ability to take it back to the trailer dealer before hand.

I only moved the winch back 1.5 feet from where it was.. and the trailer dealer said I might have to do that.

this is the 24’ version of the trailer and what was recommended for the 23ssxbp. The bunks wouldn’t move fed or backward at all. Just where the boat sits.. and I would assume the back toons should not be hanging off? Correct?

also how do I raise / higher my hitch and what will that accomplish?

+1 on what's been said so far. Too many loose straps flapping in the wind. Trailer not level. Weight distribution.

Here's the first of several sequential postings I did in another string:
How to Tiedown your Benny when Trailering

One observation for me - I've never had the bow snug against the front stops. I don't think it's possible on anything but shallow ramps. It starts snug but as we pull out of the water and the stern settles on the trailer, the bow rotates away.

I don't use a safety chain but have 4 straps on the bow.

I have an I/O and always trailer with the stern drive up, even though I have lots of ground clearance. I assume outboards should do the same but I'll let others comment on transom support.

Much better than having 3' hanging off the back. Looks like you can move the ladder back a little and that may help getting the bow up against the bunks. Definitely need to get a different receiver hitch for your truck to raise the front of the trailer while towing. The way it appears to be sitting in the pictures would cause it to sway once at highway speeds and that's dangerous. Like others have said, I'd hook the ratchet straps from the trailer u-bolt straight up to each toon welded loop. You can always cut off a lot of the excess strap and burn the cut end with a lighter so it won't unravel and you won't have to deal with 10 extra feet each time you use them.

I flipped the ball on my hitch and it got me a couple inches to level it out.

+1 on what's been said so far. Too many loose straps flapping in the wind. Trailer not level. Weight distribution.

One observation for me - I've never had the bow snug against the front stops. I don't think it's possible on anything but shallow ramps. It starts snug but as we pull out of the water and the stern settles on the trailer, the bow rotates away.

I have an I/O and always trailer with the stern drive up, even though I have lots of ground clearance. I assume outboards should do the same but I'll let others comment on transom support.

Once in a while if I don’t get the boat all the way to the stops I just tighten the bow winch strap fairly tight and then drive ahead a bit and then hit the brakes. With the bunks being wet it usually slides up to the stops fairly easily. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries though.

+1 on the stern drive up....

Looks good. I would double up on the front top carpeted stops. Add a 2nd 2x4 to the stops carpet them and you are good. That would have it resting against the stops.

+1 on the trailer and tow vehicle must be level. Balance is important for safe braking and handling. Safety chain for sure. I helped a couple put a brand new bass boat back on their trailer after it slide off due to the winch not being locked. I have never seen a Tritoon or pontoon slide off but never say never. Chain and a couple of hooks are cheap insurance.

Back