Thought on standard aluminum ladder and the telescoping stainless ladder

bwsdj

Reaction score
Want some opinions  between the aluminum and stainless ladders. I  am a fan of stainless but not to sure about the telescoping as I have never personally tried one. 

Thanks 

I have never used the telescoping ladder but I will vouch for the curved aluminum.  Between t's length and the curved design makes boarding very easy

The only problem I've had with the standard ladder is the stupid strap, snap keeps pulling out of the fabric.

I have tried an aluminum on our previous SLX ,and I have the  telescoping stainless on our RCW . For us there was no difference in boarding . I prefer the  telescoping stainless for storage .

I'm on my second strap for the stainless telescoping, but they are only $10.

I like how the stainless is more out of sight but just not sure if it's something we need or want. LOL

I had a stainless on my other boat. The steps (treads) are narrower & hurt our feet when boarding. The aluminum on the Bennington is much easier. I think for the younger crowd it does not matter. My wife & I are in our 60's & a little overweight making the aluminum our preferred choice.

I have 2 little ones that will prob be in and out of the water so I think the aluminum with bigger steps may be the way for us to go 

Had the aluminum ladder on my 2010, the snap did need to be replaced twice (not a big deal).  We now have the stainless steel ladder on our 2012.  I do like the fact that it tucks away.  I haven't heard and complaints about the narrow steps from family and we do have a wide range of shapes and sizes.  It does extend into the water deep enough.  I have had to replace the rubber bungy strap once (dry rot and snapped).  My vote is still the S/S ladder.

I have the 4-step stainless steel telescoping latter.  I like it a lot.  It's much smaller than the big aluminum ladder and stows out of the way completely.  Every once in awhile I forget to reel it back in when we get underway, but no big deal.

I don't like the looks of the big aluminum ladder, although I would imagine it's easier to get in and out of the water with it than with the telescoping one.  The steps seem to be wider on the aluminum one.

Having said that, I have no problem boarding with my full scuba gear on with the telescoping SS ladder. 

While we were shopping for boats, my wife got her hand pinched on the telescoping ladder so that was out immediately. Probably would never happen again but it did so we don't. Personally, it would be my choice from an appearance and space standpoint, but the aluminum ladder is fine. My strap broke as well but I quickly discovered that I don't need it anyway for it to stay in place.

I was going to get the stainless telescoping ladder because I really like the clean aesthetic look of it.  My salesman really talked me out of it, even though it meant I was spending less.  He said the normal aluminum ladder is much easier climbing in and out because of the bigger steps and a better angle.  He also mentioned complaints on a couple people pinching their hand.  

Frankly, it was one of the subtle things that endeared me to our salesman.  There were a few times he talked us up into an option, and provided reasons.  There were other times he talked me out of something I thought I might want because of issues he thought we might have - like the ladder.

It gave me confidence he was working to make us happy, not to just maximize the cost of our boat.  Long story short...love the look of the stainless, but I believe the normal aluminum might be more practical...and cheaper.

The wife and me have decided to go with the standard aluminum ladder and get the double Bimini option. 

The stainless ladder matches the tow bar I have, and they complement each other very nicely, in case that helps anyone with their decision.  Also matches my rod holders.

Isn't the aluminum ladder anodized?  Not sure how well that wears under foot traffic...  Probably okay though.  I haven't heard anyone complain.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer the aesthetics of the stainless ladder. With the extended deck, it looks nice and clean, and I am really wierd about things being symmetrical. 

The stainless ladder matches the tow bar I have, and they complement each other very nicely, in case that helps anyone with their decision.  Also matches my rod holders.

Isn't the aluminum ladder anodized?  Not sure how well that wears under foot traffic...  Probably okay though.  I haven't heard anyone complain.

Didn't even think about it matching the ski/tow bar. We did get that option 

We have the stainless without any rubber straps, just spring loaded into the retainer. Cleaner look on the boat deck and matches the tow bar. No issues with pinching or anything.  I'm thinking our next boat, yes I said it, will have the double Bimini.

Have both.  The curved ladder is easier to climb up.  It is also a great entry point up when the boat is in the barn.  The stainless is like climbing a ladder the curved is walking up steps. 

Have both.  The curved ladder is easier to climb up.  It is also a great entry point up when the boat is in the barn.  The stainless is like climbing a ladder the curved is walking up steps. 

Remedition are you aware of one that is more akin to an elevator ride?

Remedition are you aware of one that is more akin to an elevator ride?

The Cobalt boats have a swim platform on hydraulic cylinders. It will go under the water to allow you to float onto it and then raise you out of the water.  I thought about modifying the swim platform on the big boat.  It would be really expensive but cool.  The sales man said the biggest users are boaters with dogs. 

Back