Tighten seat with elevated helm

bcpnick

Nick
Reaction score
There are a few threads on here about tightening the pedestal of the captains seat, but none that I can find that address it with an elevated helm. Mine is getting really loose and it feels like the nut is just spinning on the other side. The problem is, there appears to be no access to that part underneath the elevated helm. Is the solution to dismount the elevated helm to get to the bolts underneath? I reeeeeeally don't want to have to take it to the dealer, and honestly, they'd probably do more harm than good (they hate Bennington so much they quit selling them!). If anyone has any experience or thoughts on how to tighten this down, I'm all ears. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yikes! I've got an elevated helm but have yet to sit there (delivery pending). I hope someone has a solution that works without a major overhaul.

Nick, if your current dealer wimped out and no longer supports/services the brand then it is time for the Big B to step up!

If I am not mistaken on an R elevated helm there is about a 4 inch space under the seat .

I would have to take out the sub woofer to get to it though

If it were mine here is what I would try. Assuming the there is play in screw I would back it off a little then use a cordless drill and set it on a high speed and hit it real fast. It might be quick enough to catch and tighten up. I would do it in a short burst.

Worst case remove them completly and use stainless steel toggle bolts. (I'm kidding)

My dealer says they'll still support the warranty but they wouldn't give me an answer for how long or any other specifics. I think I'll hop up there this weekend and try your technique, Jared. 

There is about a 4" space under the seat on my helm too, it's just not accessible. The fiberglass drops to the floor right there, if I recall correctly. I wonder how much work it would be to unscrew the helm and just pop it up a bit. I'm going to get on there this weekend and vacuum out a all the sand in the carpet from the last few trips so maybe I'll give it a try. 

You can always make a wrench extension to get under there and keep the nuts from spinning if you cannot get your hand under there.

You can always make a wrench extension to get under there and keep the nuts from spinning if you cannot get your hand under there.

If I remember right, there is no access whatsoever to the underside of that part of the helm without detaching it from the floor. 

And there is no access from under the helm? It is just a hollow area? I haven't seen one in person but I figured there would be a small access from the front.

I know I can't access mine.  It's blocked off by the rear wall of the helm itself.  No idea how to get to the seat bolts other than loosening the entire helm.  I'm surprised there isn't a small notch cut out on the helm wall to fit a wrench through.

You'd need a looooong wrench to reach it......
Bennington-Pontoon-Elevated-Helm5.jpg

Can you reach under there with an R helm? You can't with the G. Kind of crazy to think they would install a seat with bolts on the back side and no reasonable way to access them other than unbolt the helm from the deck and lift it up... 

Hopefully I'll be on the boat this weekend and check. I think it stops at the front use I have my table under there and it doesn't slide way back underneath. Do you have under skinning? I wonder if the helm is throubolted? It almost has to be. How else could they secure it. I know there's angle brackets at the front of the helm. 

Yeah, don't know why I was thinking he had a "R" model. I still think it would have to through bolt from bottom. 

I just checked mine ,the R is not open .Goes back a few inches then blocked 

My mistake  :wub:

Just thinking ,If there is a wave shield that may also have to be removed to undo the helm ?

You'd need a looooong wrench to reach it......

Why couldn't one remove the black plastic bezel/mount for the fire extinguisher and reach in through there?

Back