Tilt/Trim Reservoir Leaking

theSchwartz75

Reaction score
IMG_1319.JPG I've discovered a leak in my 2008 2725 RCW with the Penta DuoProp Outdrive. I've searched the web and can't seem to find anyone else with this exact issue. There's a small plastic(?) disc on the side of the reservoir that the oil seems to be seeping around. Has anyone had this issue and/or can point me in the right direction. I'd rather fix this one than buy a whole new reservoir. Any help is greatly appreciated...

Is that melted? Might just be the photo but the area around that disc looks weird to me.

Does that disc pop out to cover a drain screw or something else? I can't imagine a plastic plug being used other than a purpose to protect what's behind it.

Yes! After reading deeper into that thread, his cover was leaking around the same white plastic disc as mine. He drilled and tapped the cover and put a stainless plug in it and said it worked for him. That's what I'm going to try. Thanks for all your help! It'll be a while before I have time to get this done, but I'll update this thread when I've done it and let you know how it's doing.

Excellent. Glad it helped!!

Sorry it's been so long, but I have an update. We did the repair that Semperfi8387 shared from the Hull Truth and it seems to be working fine (we added some clear epoxy to the outside of the set screw as well). However, I think we fixed one weak point and that exposed another. The outdrive hydraulics still lose some pressure and the outdrive goes down when under moderate to heavy throttle. I believe the gasket at the bottom of the trim reservoir is now leaking (but only under a heavy load) because I sat on the outdrive (out of the water) while my brother-in-law trimmed it up and down with no major leaks. However, I did notice an ever so slight amount of oil at the bottom of the reservoir (near the gasket) after doing that a couple of times. I suspect that when the engine is throttled up and the hydraulic system is under that strain, just enough oil leaks to allow it to be pushed down rather than hold its position.
I'm ordering a new gasket for the reservoir and will be replacing it as soon as it comes in...

Back