Tips for Docking Tritoon in High Winds

Rick from Rocky Mount

Reaction score
We had our first experience this last weekend trying to dock our 25 Q I/O in gusting winds into our 10 foot wide slip this past weekend. Winds were around 20 MPH coming from port side. We tried coming straight in, then from the right into the wind and then was most successful coming in from the left downwind and turning nose into the slip. No damage done since I came in slow and the entrance to the slip was protected by the large corner bumpers I installed on the slip. Had trouble after getting nose in and then have the wind blow the stern to the right. I', sure my neighbors were enjoying watching us from their decks! Never had trouble with docking our old deck boat, although there is no comparison in the 2 boats on the water. Ride is SO much smoother, and MORE fun, in the new Benny.

We had our first experience this last weekend trying to dock our 25 Q I/O in gusting winds into our 10 foot wide slip this past weekend. Winds were around 20 MPH coming from port side. We tried coming straight in, then from the right into the wind and then was most successful coming in from the left downwind and turning nose into the slip. No damage done since I came in slow and the entrance to the slip was protected by the large corner bumpers I installed on the slip. Had trouble after getting nose in and then have the wind blow the stern to the right. I', sure my neighbors were enjoying watching us from their decks! Never had trouble with docking our old deck boat, although there is no comparison in the 2 boats on the water. Ride is SO much smoother, and MORE fun, in the new Benny.
Anyone have any tips, so I look more like I know what the heck I"m doing?? Thanks!

I have bought a wind sock to install to the roof of our dock to help navigate in the high winds.

Practice is the best way to figure it out. Everyone has their own methods.
I start from the upwind side and (drive/let the wind move) me into position. Previous sentence may not sound right but, you get the idea. With practice you can figure out what it takes.

I have the same problem at times. Narrow lift relative to boat, big/open lake with gusty winds that often blow perpendicular to us when docking. Scuffed up my port side rub rail pretty decently in one spot last year. Like you, I am sure I have provided many amusing moments for our lakeside neighbors when docking.

Get out early before others are up and practice. I was brand new to boating and would dock, undock, dock again over and over from different angles of approach

As others said, your first choice is to dock so that the wind blows you into position.

If you can't and have to dock on the downwind side, and you have someone else on board to help, first tie long lines to the bow and stern cleats on the side of the boat you want against the dock. Then come into the dock directly into the wind and let the other person get off. Make sure he takes the lines with him. He will pull the boat to the dock with the two lines. Or you can switch jobs with him.

I've done this before myself when out alone. This is not the safest, but you do what you have to do. I pull up to the dock into the wind with the bow of the boat touching the dock. Then I'll leave it in gear at idle or a little more, whatever it takes to hold the boat against the dock, then I'll run up and tie the bow cleat to the dock cleat, leaving enough slack, not much, to allow the boat to pivot into position. Then kill the motor, and tie another line to the rear cleat, and take the other end to the dock and pull the stern end to the dock.

It is much easier to do all this with the bimini down! Ask me how I know. Otherwise the lines from the rear cleats have to be routed outside the bimini struts.

It helps to have long lines, but if you have a couple with the factory loops in them, you can quickly interlock the loops and make a temporary longer line. The two loops will end up in the middle of the line.

17 mph winds is my cutoff for not even going out on the lake. Not only is docking tough, but the water will have whitecaps and it's miserable being on the boat and pounded with heavy wind all day.

Probably none of this helps with slips. I only use finger docks. Jarred had a slip in a tight spot at a Marina that had nearly constant winds. He may be able to help.

The key word to docking is usually "slowly" but with a significant wind, you have to be more aggressive with the throttle to turn the boat. Cross wind affects pontoon boats very much because of the solid side panels.

My technique is usually a quick, moderate "pop" on the throttle, either forward or reverse as necessary, spin the wheel the appropriate direction, then back to neutral. Be somewhat patient and let inertia do its work.

You'll master it with practice.

I pull up to the dock into the wind with the bow of the boat touching the dock. Then I'll leave it in gear at idle or a little more, whatever it takes to hold the boat against the dock, then I'll run up and tie the bow cleat to the dock cleat, leaving enough slack, not much, to allow the boat to pivot into position. Then kill the motor, and tie another line to the rear cleat, and take the other end to the dock and pull the stern end to the dock.

Sorry -- I do not recommend anyone boating solo exits their boat with the motor in gear under any circumstances.

Our boathouse is way back in a cove and the slip is only 10' wide. The best way I have found to deal with a side wind is to give it a little gas when making the turn into the boathouse. The wind doesn't affect it near as much under power as it does barely moving. It took a bit of practice at first but it works every time regardless of the conditions. I get a few strange looks from guests when I give it gas making the turn though!

There's a fine line between not enough power where the wind blows you around and you have little control and too much power. Sometimes you can let the wind blow you into place, sometimes you need to power it in. Practice, practice, practice and then practice a lot more.

Sorry -- I do not recommend anyone boating solo exits their boat with the motor in gear under any circumstances.

I don't either!

Sooner or later all boat owners deal with the wind. And we all enjoy watching the other guy have an issue, makes us feel better about our misfortunes. Practice makes Perfect. Wave to the Neighbors and smile your on a Bennington and they are on their decks. Wishing they had a Tritoon to fight the wind with.

We once had a major wind storm when we were on West Point Lake in Georgia. We are talking 40 mph winds coming from the side. We waited an hour or so to see if it would calm down but then the lighting started so we had to go for it. With several grown men standing on the main dock just watching and not helping at all my 4' 11" wife was the best first mate ever. After several tries to get close the end of the dock, she finally had a safe opportunity to jump off with the anchor line in her hand tied to the front cleat and she immediately wrapped it around the first post she got to. Once the bow was under control, she slowly pulled in slack as I inched closer to the dock. That day I learned two things. 1. My wife is a real bad ass as a first mate and 2. I have zero respect for a grown men that just stand there and not offer someone in distress the help they need. My dad taught me as a kid to be the first in line to help others. I guess all dads aren't all alike.

We once had a major wind storm when we were on West Point Lake in Georgia. We are talking 40 mph winds coming from the side. We waited an hour or so to see if it would calm down but then the lighting started so we had to go for it. With several grown men standing on the main dock just watching and not helping at all my 4' 11" wife was the best first mate ever. After several tries to get close the end of the dock, she finally had a safe opportunity to jump off with the anchor line in her hand tied to the front cleat and she immediately wrapped it around the first post she got to. Once the bow was under control, she slowly pulled in slack as I inched closer to the dock. That day I learned two things. 1. My wife is a real bad ass as a first mate and 2. I have zero respect for a grown men that just stand there and not offer someone in distress the help they need. My dad taught me as a kid to be the first in line to help others. I guess all dads aren't all alike.

I drive into the wind and then cut in. At our prior lake I would come at the dock from a 120 degree angle, then cut it in slowly. I'd rather use power to counteract the wind then have to overcome it.

I hear you you on people being worthless (well, most of them). Weird how some people are just clueless and don't offer a helping hand. We had a boat of teenagers out drinking on their dads boat while anchored. Problem was their anchor did not bite so they slowly drifted towards us. The came within 20' before moving and went and set up again in the same spot with the same results. This time they were so close we had to grab their boat to keep it from hitting against ours. My wife and i were holding their boat while this beta male was sitting there with his big dollar store brightly colored glasses. I told him to get off his ass and help. From the look on his face that was the first time he heard that. I'm sure he'll grow up to make a great house husband.

As stated, if wind toward dock, I let it push me in. If headwind, I put port toon in at 45 degree, first mate hooks up to eye of toon, I then pop in reverse and slowly swing stern in to dock. Easy peazy......

My wife drops me off and I pull it in by rope......

Actually we are in about 4' of water .So if needed all hands are over board walking into our lift. Or if the wind isn't in our favor we don't venture out on the lake.

Last edited:
Thankfully, our marina is fairly well protected so I don't have to deal with a stiff direct wind but that's not to say that we're not affected by it when coming/going. I would suggest lowering your bimini and using the least amount of speed possible. After a few times, you'll be a pro...

Thankfully, our marina is fairly well protected so I don't have to deal with a stiff direct wind but that's not to say that we're not affected by it when coming/going. I would suggest lowering your bimini and using the least amount of speed possible. After a few times, you'll be a pro...

Same here. My slip is pretty well protected. You have to steer hard to bring the stern around and give it power.

Back