Tips, Hints, Idea and Lessons Learned

Friar

Reaction score
I am sure like some of you, I read several pontoon related forums plus I pore repeatedly over various catalogues (West Marine, Overtons, Bass Pro, Cabelas) looking for stuff for my boat. Thought it would be useful to start a thread listing some of the things I have found out and/or used, sort of centralized for Bennington owners.

a. Chapstick - This works great on covers. It makes snapping and unsnapping so easy I am concerned that wind pressure might cause them to unsnap when trailering.

b. Dish washing soap - Use as an excellent lubricant for nylon-lined nuts and phillips head screws. It prevents them from binding up and being impossible to tighten/loosen. (I know some of you are still leery of doing any modifications to your new Bennington (anchor cleats, grill pedestals, etc) but someday you will!)

c. PAM - Have not actually used this yet, but understand that it is sprayed on trailer bunk carpet and makes it easier to load/launch your pontoon if you trailer very much.

d. Bounce - Stuff dryer sheets in pontoon furniture, bimini covers, etc to keep out spiders and bees. I have done this but not sure about the effectiveness; have not seen any bees but have seen a couple of little spiders.

f. Mothballs/Cloves - More of an off season thing when boat is mainly in storage - supposed to keep little critters away like squirrels, mice, etc. This last winter I did this; put both in disposable pie trays all over the boat and did not have any little friends try to make my boat their home.

g. Veada - This company makes marine related furniture and stuff. I requested some fabric sample online which I got in 3 days, then order 3 marine pillows in fabric which matches my pontoon furniture. They cost $25 each but they are excellent quality, soft fabric like the pontoon furniture and they float. Will post picture of them later.

h. Cup holder - Couple of days ago I bought a 2 cup holder for $12 at Bed Bath and Beyond. It has a bracket which fits perfectly over the square railing and tightens with a thumb screw. I also have one of the kind with suctions cups to hold it in place but I never trust them. Plus even though I have 7 or 8 built-in cup holders and 2 of the portable ones that came with the boat, I have found I always need more!

i. Kumma grill - I bought one from West Marine and wish I had not. The main problem (which I did not even know to consider) is that the radiant cover, which is between the actual grill and the flame tube, is attached with 4 small screws. This would be a small bother when I need to clean it, but it turns out I cannot get 2 of the screws out. I have found out there are other manufacturers in which this piece snaps in and out. My grill might have an accident soon and then I can tell my wife I need to buy a replacement.

j. Bimini Clips - Got these clips from Overtons and they work great for attaching wet towels (or wet hats that get blown off into the lake) to the square railing and bimini struts. Plus I have two of them on the front rail lined up over the midline of the pontoons as a guide when loading back on my trailer.

Hope this is of use to someone - if anyone has more ideas, pleae add them.

There is a product called Snap-Stick that is better than Chapstick, since it's meant for snaps, not lips. Also sized more conveniently. At your local marina.

General purpose cleaner with vinegar instead if ammonia works well for me, as does a diluted solution of Simple Green.

303 aerospace protectant is strongly advised, especially if you want to protect your colors from UV.

Oh, on a side note...

When watching a fireworks show from your boat it's tempting to drop anchor as close as you can.

Then you get a look at your boat the next day and realize that those 30 minutes of fireworks are going to cost 3 hours of time with a garden hose and sponge to clean up the soot.

On the other hand, you can't hear any nagging for a day or two, so.... ;)

to add to the post...I keep baby wipes on board...mainly for wiping hands after eating (especially chips) so you don't make a mess touching the seats. also for wiping down the tables after eating.

303 is the best product of it's type I have ever used. If there is a better product out there I would like to know.

My new Bennington will get a coating of it on all faberic, vinyl, and fiberglass. I may also put a coating on the painted panels. This is a product every boater should know about.

Back