To Cover or Not to Cover....

Do you put the cover on every night?

• Cover? I have 303, I don't need covers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
My wife and I can uncover in about 2 minutes and cover in 5. You just need a good system that works for your docking setup and take the cover off/fold it/put it away in a way that makes it easy to initially start the recovering.  

Sure, on hot days I'd prefer to not have to recover, and sometimes if we're coming back the very next morning I'll just leave the double bimini up to get some semblance of protection.  But when we do cover/uncover the boat and see how great it looks with absolutely no wiping down needed, it makes me glad I spent the time to put it away right.  

My boat stays tucked away in its own garage. Bimini has never come down since I picked it up and never seen the cover since I picked it up at the dealer.

Cheers, Steve

Thankfully, we don't have any coons. However, that looks like a job for a couple of coonhounds.

I think when it comes to covering the boat, you guys have it wrong. First, you have to inform and convince the wife that covering the boat by yourself, is your special man time-- and you look forward to this peaceful, enjoyable, alone time with the boat. Second, the wife will leave you alone for the first time but will be convinced you are up to no good by the second time you cover the boat. By the third time, she will be standing there as you insist that she leave and go relax as you undertake this routine, necessary, difficult, but rewarding deed. By the fourth time, she will not allow you to cover the boat because she knows you are doing something wrong.

That's when you tell her you are only interested in her happiness and allow her to cover the boat, not with standing the joy it brings you in doing this chore. You then magnanimously allow her to cover the boat as you go and relax with a cold beverage and your favorite sports program. :lol:

Cheers, Steve

I keep mine in my covered boat house, but still cover it every night. I've gotten pretty good at putting the cover...takes less me about 3-4 minutes. It's nice to go out to a clean boat every time!

My wife and I have a system as well, just a couple minutes to come off and get folded up and about 5 minutes if that to go back on. It gets covered 99% of the time, the only times it has not got covered is if we are camping overnight somewhere where it will be dry and dew free and no dust or tree pollution falling in it and will be going right back in the drink the next morning.

the only times it has not got covered is if we are camping overnight somewhere where it will be dry and dew free and no dust or tree pollution falling in it and will be going right back in the drink the next morning.
Where is this place you speak of?            :p

Thankfully, we don't have any coons. However, that looks like a job for a couple of coonhounds.

I think when it comes to covering the boat, you guys have it wrong. First, you have to inform and convince the wife that covering the boat by yourself, is your special man time-- and you look forward to this peaceful, enjoyable, alone time with the boat. Second, the wife will leave you alone for the first time but will be convinced you are up to no good by the second time you cover the boat. By the third time, she will be standing there as you insist that she leave and go relax as you undertake this routine, necessary, difficult, but rewarding deed. By the fourth time, she will not allow you to cover the boat because she knows you are doing something wrong.

That's when you tell her you are only interested in her happiness and allow her to cover the boat, not with standing the joy it brings you in doing this chore. You then magnanimously allow her to cover the boat as you go and relax with a cold beverage and your favorite sports program. :lol:

Cheers, Steve
And that works???

Kind of a bummer when you just come off the lake on a hot day and have to work up a sweat coving the boat.

If the weather is calm I just fasten two snaps on the bow (facing the breeze) and  unroll the cover,leaving it loose....no spreaders.

Love the new clips and some times I'll fasten a couple to be sure it doesn't blow off.

Only takes around 5 min.

Kind of a bummer when you just come off the lake on a hot day and have to work up a sweat coving the boat.
But it is better than working up a sweat the next day cleaning bird droppings off the seats, carpet, helm, etc......  :blink:

Have you ever seen what an Egret lets after he's relieved himself. ...... it's not pretty  :wacko:   :D

I swear we have a pterodactyl fly around our area. Either that or Bigfoot has an ultralight. 

We have Blue Herons that seem to exhaust half their internals onto my dock at times. Beautiful birds, but ...

We've got the Herons too. What a mess!

Right now I have an issue with birds trying to build a nest on my canopy frame. I keep knocking it down but I'm sure they will leave some stuff to deal with on the cover. I need to figure out what they are to see if they are protected.... :ph34r:  blue things that skim the water level, maybe a little orange on the necks. The nest is made with what appears to be muddy grass and such.

Jared that comment on big foot in the ultra light cracked me up!!! I guess crazier things have happened like an olympian that cuts off his.....

Last edited by a moderator:
...adams apple?

We always cover the boat. It takes less than 10 mins to cover it and about 5 mins or less to uncover. Many at our marina (probably half) do not cover their boat and after a few years the seats look terrible. UV rays do a number on vinyl.

Right now I have an issue with birds trying to build a nest on my canopy frame. I keep knocking it down but I'm sure they will leave some stuff to deal with on the cover. I need to figure out what they are to see if they are protected.... :ph34r:  blue things that skim the water level, maybe a little orange on the necks. The nest is made with what appears to be muddy grass and such.

Jared that comment on big foot in the ultra light cracked me up!!! I guess crazier things have happened like an olympian that cuts off his.....
We have those buggers as well, I think some sort of starlings. They fly full speed to within inches of your head, then veer off, very protective. Somehow their mud nests disappear from my canopy frame fairly quickly  B)

Talking about Covering and Uncovering The Benny 

I Have to admit 

I am so out of Practice 

Have Been On The Lake Twice 

A Busy, Rain Filled , Cool Summer 

Has Me On Land Sorry To Say !

23639331.jpg

Tonight's Low Temp Will Be 46F

WTH

It's June 2nd !!!

Last edited by a moderator:
We have those buggers as well, I think some sort of starlings. They fly full speed to within inches of your head, then veer off, very protective. Somehow their mud nests disappear from my canopy frame fairly quickly  B)
Barn swallows. I just did some more research and they match the description perfectly. Now to do some more research on if they are protected.

Back