To drive or not to drive (pull) ,..... that is the question.

royal4

Reaction score
I've  been out several times and getting the boat back on the trailer via driving it on hasn't been much of a problem except twice. Once at night and another time I took two mulligans (backed it out and tried again) These all have been solo outings using the dock to tie up to, back the car down the ramp, then back on the boat, get it away from the dock, back up and then drive it on.  

When I have help and use other ramps with no dock I default to a drive-on as I think that is easier.

The last time out I tied it up to the dock and backed the car down the ramp and thought why not just pull it onto the trailer. Surprise, surprise...it was super easy so I may just pull it on from now on.  I think the most important part of making loading easier is having the trailer correctly positioned.  i.e not too far in the water. 

ps: I always crank it the last ~2 feet even when driving it on

I've always pulled it on, well I guess actually the FIRST time I tried to drive it on cuz that's how my dealer did it when he took me out. Well that led me to not being perfectly straight and the keel caught the carpet and ripped it. Pulled it on ever since.

Drive it on every time. Driven every boat Ive ever owned onto its trailer

Always floated our boat on the trailer. It's easy and we've done it for years!

The only time I had my boat out this year, I partly drove it on then I hooked up the ratchet strap and winched it up like that, ha, didn't go so well.  My ski boat would just pull right up but it was on rollers.  I must have not had the trailer far enough in the water because there was no way that boat was coming the needed two more inches so the nose would be up against my stops.  I could not believe how difficult trying to winch it to my stops were,  needless to say I think I had to float the boat a little more.

It's all trial and error. 

My problem has been that doggone crosswind this time of the year.  Although we've seen 22 straight days of 90+ degrees, the wind has been steadily strong.  And I don't like my boat turning 90 degrees to my trailer and my prop headed for the rip rap while I back my trailer into the water.

I power load  my boat on the trailer for speed.

I've been expecting the doldrums of Summer to hit any day--no wind and still hot.

I always power load. We have a long concrete ramp so no problem there. Like above the trick for me is having the bunks wet and at the proper depth.

Everyone that use public ramps should learn to power load. Part of boating is being able to back a trailer into the water and learning how to drift a boat (in windy conditions) on the trailer. My crew has been doing this for years and I have multiple boat pilots and truck/trailer drivers ( wife, son, daughters) who can accomplish this vital part of the day. Practice backing the trailer in the parking lot and become proficient before attempting actual boat ramp. Learning how to drift a boat from upwind takes a bit of practice but can be learned. Practice, practice, practice. A proficient crew can load a boat depending on the ramp in a matter of a few minutes or even seconds and on busy holidays this makes for a much more pleasant day for all.

Everyone that use public ramps should learn to power load. Part of boating is being able to back a trailer into the water and learning how to drift a boat (in windy conditions) on the trailer. My crew has been doing this for years and I have multiple boat pilots and truck/trailer drivers ( wife, son, daughters) who can accomplish this vital part of the day. Practice backing the trailer in the parking lot and become proficient before attempting actual boat ramp. Learning how to drift a boat from upwind takes a bit of practice but can be learned. Practice, practice, practice. A proficient crew can load a boat depending on the ramp in a matter of a few minutes or even seconds and on busy holidays this makes for a much more pleasant day for all.
Good advice, accept many people only use there trailer twice per year, to unload for the summer, then load it back up until next summer.

Good advice, accept many people only use there trailer twice per year, to unload for the summer, then load it back up until next summer.
Yes, this is us. We trailered for years before we had a lake house. My wife was always uncomfortable doing it and it's one of many reasons we have our own lake place today.

Yes, this is us. We trailered for years before we had a lake house. My wife was always uncomfortable doing it and it's one of many reasons we have our own lake place today.
Exactly what my wife and I did.  Every time we went boating, it was unloading and loading, got quite good at it.  Have a summer home on the lake now, so it is twice per year.  Might not be so proficient with the Tri Toon! :)

Exactly what my wife and I did.  Every time we went boating, it was unloading and loading, got quite good at it.  Have a summer home on the lake now, so it is twice per year.  Might not be so proficient with the Tri Toon! :)
Yup. We had a Checkmate and trailer with welded and fitted bunks, perfectly matched to the V-hull. It was fairly easy as we also had a decent ramp where we boated most of the time, though it was only 2 narrow lanes. Problem was there were often knucklehead "experts" pressuring her to get the trailer backed in quickly and of course perfectly straight the first time. Never happens.

Funny thing is our oldest daughter learned to back and load horse trailers at 16 and could do it better than most of her older male counterparts, who had much more experience. She used one hand at the bottom of the steering wheel and mirrors only. We had a lake house by that time though.

Tom.......that's the best advice you can give anybody who is learning to back any trailer up.......put your hand at the bottom of the wheel and whatever way you want the trailer to go is the direction you move the wheel. That's how I learned. Very simple!

Back