To Order or Not To Order

ILLINOIS AVE

Reaction score
I see where some Members will go to a dealer and order a new boat. By doing so does it cost more money that way?  Is it cheaper to go with what the Dealer might have in stock?  Just curious !

Really depends on the dealer. There's probably no correct answer. One may look at it as another boat not moving out of inventory, but one who moves his entire inventory every year may look at it as an "extra" sale. 

Here is my Take. If your dealer is Well informed and knows what each and every option can bennington can offer and do for you then it's cool to sit down with them and build a boat because they can say, Hey you might want to think about this option or possibility deletion of a option other customers have reported back to be somewhat useless. Example a option that looks great in the catalog but no one uses. 

But here is Reality. Most dealers are clueless and the Sales person is useless, as far as having real knowledge. This go's for cars and boats.  Sure they can go ask someone "hey what does this do" and report back, but they either didn't go to the Dealer Meating and don't know what's new for 2016-17. Hey that's a good question ask your Dealer if any of the sales people went to the dealer meeting. If they say no then that gives you a clue of what your dealing with.  Sorry but very few boat sales people seem to be Truley into what they are selling they are more of a "Order Taker" not a sales person that have advanced knowledge of what they are selling . Now if your a bennington sales person that is highly educated and knows these boats inside and out, You have my respect and business. But sadly your kind is few and far between. 

Long story Longer. If your dealer is super versed then Yes I recommend going to them. Other wise people here on this Fourm can help you spec a boat them most dealers

My two cents....

I like to place a factory order. That way I get exactly what I want and nothing more.

Same strategy whether I am buying a new truck or a new boat.

I get the dealer to agree to a discount percent off MSRP. 

After that, its all about the pickin and the choosin.

Here is my Take. If your dealer is Well informed and knows what each and every option can bennington can offer and do for you then it's cool to sit down with them and build a boat because they can say, Hey you might want to think about this option or possibility deletion of a option other customers have reported back to be somewhat useless. Example a option that looks great in the catalog but no one uses. 

But here is Reality. Most dealers are clueless and the Sales person is useless, as far as having real knowledge. This go's for cars and boats.  Sure they can go ask someone "hey what does this do" and report back, but they either didn't go to the Dealer Meating and don't know what's new for 2016-17. Hey that's a good question ask your Dealer if any of the sales people went to the dealer meeting. If they say no then that gives you a clue of what your dealing with.  Sorry but very few boat sales people seem to be Truley into what they are selling they are more of a "Order Taker" not a sales person that have advanced knowledge of what they are selling . Now if your a bennington sales person that is highly educated and knows these boats inside and out, You have my respect and business. But sadly your kind is few and far between. 

Long story Longer. If your dealer is super versed then Yes I recommend going to them. Other wise people here on this Fourm can help you spec a boat them most dealers

Or 

They sell you what they want and put off what you want 

It is the most frustrating thing in the world 

Advice : Take Your Time and Be Very Careful 

The memory of a bad experience is HAUNTING

frustration.jpg

Don't forgot the ever popular "boat show discount" that's when I got mine (boat that is).  Truth is hard to find in big ticket sales. I'd like to believe my boat would have cost more if I ordered it, that way I feel like I got a good deal.  Did they get a quantity discount for buying a bunch for the show??  The SSRX is the model I like and can afford, they had one that color matched my truck (somewhat).  SPS and a 150.  Plus.. it was already spring, I had the wife and daughter convinced, the dog.  Hell... I had to act.  Regardless, damn glad I did. 

I see where some Members will go to a dealer and order a new boat. By doing so does it cost more money that way?  Is it cheaper to go with what the Dealer might have in stock?  Just curious !

I'm not sure which models you're looking into buying but here's my experience. We just went through this same delima, we were looking at in stock boats at dealerships only to walk away each time saying well I wish it had this on it or I wish it didn't have that on it. We were looking into R series boats and found several at very good prices for the options they had, even a few leftover models at bigger discounts but even with big discounts these boats are expensive. One of the boats we really considered was a leftover 23ft 2016 model with a 250 on it and rear stern lounges but we really wanted a swing back and at least a 300. Long story short we ended up ordering a Q series 25ft with a 350 on it in a swing back with many more options and the color we wanted plus blackout package. This cost us $12,000 more than the leftover boat but it's a much better deal in the end and we will be very happy with our choice. We could have built a R series the way we wanted it with a smaller engine and the cost wouldn't have been so much more than the leftover boat. My advice is look at the in stock boats and also go on the boat builder and get some prices from your local dealers on ordering, you might find that there's not much difference to get it the way you want it. 

My two cents....

I like to place a factory order. That way I get exactly what I want and nothing more.

Same strategy whether I am buying a new truck or a new boat.

I get the dealer to agree to a discount percent off MSRP. 

After that, its all about the pickin and the choosin.

I'm on board with placing an order rather taking what's available, especially if you're planning it to be a long term relationship. We did have a great dealer experience unlike others on this forum. He was very informed and low pressure. We were able to pay substantially less than list and our dealer gave us what would be "boat show deals" extended warranties etc. We ended up spending a little more than a used boat and could probably sell our boat for not much less than what we paid for it. Best of luck with your purchase!!

If you find a boat that has everything you want then buy a stock one. However, if it does not have everything you want then I would certainly order one for the money you spend.  I don't see any difference in stock pricing verses boat building at the dealership i use.  I have been fortunate that two years running they are giving about 30% off of MSRP. Those type  of discounts is why I was able take take care of my PADS virus and order my 23 RCW.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it can vary.  Like others have said, I think it depends on the knowledge and integrity level of the salesperson.  If they are honest and fair, and know the Bennington's inside and out, then that's a great person to sit down and explore an order with.

That said, if there is a great boat on the lot, and they are willing to negotiate a good price, then there is something to that as well.  I'd be open either way depending on the quality of salesperson, dealership, and their in-stock inventory.

We put an order in ourselves, and I am very happy we went that route.  We have a phenominal sales person (the actual sales manager at our dealership).  He is insightful, fair, and very helpful.  When our boat comes in, it will have precisely what we wanted on it - nothing more, nothing less.  I like that its customized to our liking.

I ordered both of ours in the fall. Locked in good pricing and got what I wanted on next year's boat. Plus some of these dealers display boats at events etc. and for the most part the public are a bunch of slobs and have no respect for others property. It's nice knowing no one was traipsing through it before we got it.  

I ordered mine in the fall too.  With so many variations in floor plans, colors, and options that we wanted, it probably would have been impossible to find it at a dealer or at a boat show.  We did a lot of study and looked at other brands too, but once we decided what we wanted we didn't want to settle for something less.

Lost hundreds of hours of productivity to the online configurator. When I unexpectedly got buy-in from the boss, I needed to strike fast or risk her changing her mind and couldn't wait for custom. Bought mine in the winter from leftover dealer demo stock like new and full warranty. I hate new anything depreciation anyways. Timing is everything but I knew I made the right decision when she proudly began inviting her friends for a weekly cruise shortly after the sea trial. Whatever you decide, but your last boat first. Buy once, cry once and see you on the water :)

This forum is the dealer's training ground.

The problem is keeping up...

This forum is the dealer's training ground.

The problem is keeping up...

Great point. If I was a Bennington Dealer. This forum should be required reading for the sales people. Sometimes I think the members on this forum do more research on potential customers than do some of the sales people out there. Just my opinion!

I know of a couple of dealers that are members of this forum however I believe the ones I know only check in occassionally

My experience:  We bought our 22' SSX last year and ordered it through our dealer.  This was our first boat so I had done a few year's worth of research prior to this adventure.  We were still pretty nervous going into the dealer since it was our first time.  Our rep from the dealer sat us down and spent a long time asking us what we wanted out of the boat - pretty much similar to what a real estate agent would have done.  He showed us a few boats in stock which somewhat fit our likes and took a good amount of time schooling us on other things beyond the flashy stuff (motor, battery, steering...etc).  At the end we decided to build because we wanted a few more things than what he had in stock.  Once he worked up a price sheet we negotiated and I feel like we got a decent deal for what we wanted.  Ironically, he talked us down from a Yamaha 150 to a 115.  Our final cost was not more costly than the boats in stock that we looked at.  

Then, I started routinely visiting this forum and realize all of the stuff I forgot to add on to the build!!!!! Oh well, I'll fix that on the next boat. 

Yeah, I'm glad we didn't "jump" on the demo last year. After building "our" boat and ordering everything "we" wanted, we probably saved ourselves from spending another $40K a year or two from now. I'll probably spend a couple grand on a elevated helm if they come out with a redesign on the G model, but other than that, I can't imagine anything else we'd change. Well, maybe a "real" motor if we move ....  :lol:

Yeah, I'm glad we didn't "jump" on the demo last year. After building "our" boat and ordering everything "we" wanted, we probably saved ourselves from spending another $40K a year or two from now. I'll probably spend a couple grand on a elevated helm if they come out with a redesign on the G model, but other than that, I can't imagine anything else we'd change. Well, maybe a "real" motor if we move ....  :lol:

Hey Semp,since you have a 20HP limit on the motor. Maybe the next boat should be ordered with twin 20HP motors.Sorry that I didn't think of this before! <_<

Hey Semp,since you have a 20HP limit on the motor. Maybe the next boat should be ordered with twin 20HP motors.Sorry that I didn't think of this before! <_<

Hmmmm, good point  .... it does say 20HP limit .... it doesn't say "how many" motors can be mounted?    ;)

Back