To Order or Not To Order

If a dealer orders a boat, you can get exactly what you want--no more, no less.  This may save you money.  The dealer won't have floorplan expenses to cover if the boat's going to be delivered as soon as it hits his lot.

On the other hand, dealers make their yearly orders at Fall Order Writing meetings.  Often, boat manufacturers will throw in some freebies (options) to make them lock in production dates--and order more boats.  I'd say $1K in freebies is not out of reason.  You may could save a little on a boat ordered in the Fall if you take it as soon as it hits the lot.

You could also possibly save if you ordered a boat when visiting one of the major city boat shows.  The manufacturers' reps are on sight, and they'll often throw the dealers incentives for investing in boat shows--and to get a deal away from one of their competitive brands.  And here, engine manufacturers will also often throw in another 2 years' extended service plan (warranty).

It's not clear whether all boat dealers pay the same wholesale price.  I've heard of a dealer getting discounts for dropping all competitive pontoon boat brands.  And I've heard of discounts for cash if they order "X" boats at one time.  Possibly a very well off established dealer could purchase boats cheaper than smaller, newer dealers.  Don't know if that's true, however.

I saved money ordering in fall. Missed the price increase ....  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
And be careful of boats that are ordered late in the model year. 

I almost bought a Bennington boat on the dealer lot that showed the boat was ordered in May 2015 but the feature code on the invoice said "serialized for 2016".  It had all the features of a 2015, not a 2016,  but Bennington simply called it a 2016.

Always insist on a copy of the factory invoice...even if they block out the dealer invoice prices.

Back