Top Speed

Bear

Reaction score
My wife and I are looking at purchasing a 2012 Bennington 22 SL with a 115 Yamaha, two tubes without strakes. What kind of top speed should I expect? The dealer told me I should hit the mid 30's but I'm questioning that figure based on what I've read. I'm not wanting a speed demon but I do want to be able to pull a towable if desired. Any feedback is appreciated!

To get into the 30's, it might require 4 lifting strakes on 25" tubes and underskinning the boat. Many owners with twin toons, no strakes and underskinning are disappointed with their top speed. If you look at the performance figures online for the manufacturers' engines, you can come up with comparative mph's. And, dealers are notoriously inaccurate with their mph numbers.

I'm running a 24' pontoon and a Yamaha 115 hp 2 stroke. It'll get up and accelerate like a bass boat, but hits a wall @ 30 mph. My boat will definitely pull a skier, but it handles like a pig. Nothing will make it go any faster but sure horsepower.

It's very important that you order your new boat for your present and future needs. If you're going to be into water sports, equip it to handle such usage. I would be quick to suggest a ETEC 115 hp or Mercury 115 hp Optimax Pro XS for anyone that's wanting a little more oomph out of the hole than a 4 stroke--for slightly less money than a 4 stroke.

Pontoons/tritoons are expensive new, but they've got a very, very long lifespan if properly maintained, kept dry and out of the sun when not in use. They are a great long term value in recreation, however.

I think that number is a little optimistic. My previous Benny was a 2575 with twin 25" tubes, 115 Honda but with lifting strakes and underdeck waveshield, a heavy boat granted, but I was lucky to hit 27-28 mph. Just a regular aluminum prop, not much into the mph squeezing obsession. Just want to tube and minimum ski if necessary. Maybe 150 HP min. with third toon if available on that model. As Bamaman said life expectancy fairly long if maintained and I feel the third toon and larger Hp will help on a possible resale. I received almost 60% from my 2004 2575 from my original purchase cost. Being a Bennington helped I am sure, however try doing that with an automobile. Gerry

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the club. We just launched ours and run 28 mph. Yours is ligher and a bit smaller and i'm sure you will get at least 30, if not more. We hope you Enjoy!

We have a 2275gcw with a Yamaha 115, 25 inch tubes, no strakes etc. When tubes are clean, two of us in the boat, pretty much full of fuel we hit 27 on GPS. Now that the tubes are a little dirty we are down to 24.5 We are pulling the boat this week to clean the tubes, it's been in the water for about 6 weeks. We will clean the tubes about 4 times over the summer, the final is when we store it for winter.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a link to a Yamaha test report on a 2275 with a 115hp.

Test Report

They show 27.6mph

Reactions: MJF
Not that I am an expert on this subject but would guess you'll be right at 28-29mph if propped correctly, wot.

On our 24SLi with a 115hp Merc Optimax we can hit 29mph with clean tubes. Once the tubes get dirty it drops off considerably. No problem pulling tubes or kids on skis.

Shawn

Thanks for your responses. We're going for a test run on Thursday or Friday and I'll post the results afterwards. It's got a Solas 13 1/2 x 15 three blade stainless prop, hopefully that'll help.

Please post your results, along with the Max RPM.

Thx,

Steve

Back