Top Speed

Butchkid

Reaction score
I had a chance to go out and play, and I wanted to really test out the new toy. I have the 2575 QCW with the 350 IO. I have a few questions though.

1) Top speed was 42 mph, which was less than the dealer claimed but it got there in a hurry so I have no complaint. Is that top speed normal?

2) With the flag out I was very nervous about speed. Should I be?

3) I have the double Bimini. What speed should I stay under when up?

4) After high speeds I noticed quite a bit of water in the center storage. Is that normal?

5) In the no wake zone I stalled twice while idleing in. Could that be that expensive gas on the lake? should I put something in the tank?

6) I have the Magma Grill. Where do you store your gas canisters?

I had a chance to go out and play, and I wanted to really test out the new toy. I have the 2575 QCW with the 350 IO. I have a few questions though.

1) Top speed was 42 mph, which was less than the dealer claimed but it got there in a hurry so I have no complaint. Is that top speed normal?

That is a really heavy boat so I would not consider that speed bad at all plus as it breaks in you may do a little bit better.

I wouldn 't be afraid of full speed but thats some thing you need to watch and see how it affects it in your conditions.

I ran wide open with the bimini up on my last rig and that was around 35-38 mph with it up. Had no issues but if you hit some rough water it does wiggle around from side to side a lot but I had no issues in the 4 seasons I ran it like that.

4) After high speeds I noticed quite a bit of water in the center storage. Is that normal?

Unless you were hitting large waves i would think that it shuld not be normal, I think it should be sealed up where the storage compartment meets the deck so unless the water was coming in from the top I would think there is a problem plus they should have a bilge pump to pump the water out of there should any get in. I would have that checked into.

5) In the no wake zone I stalled twice while idleing in. Could that be that expensive gas on the lake? should I put something in the tank?

If the engine is new it can be normal until things loosen up and break in a bit. If it still does it after 10-20 hours of use then I would be trying different fuel and changing the fuel filter for starters.

can't help ya there.
Replys under your questions in above text.

Hey Butch,

First off, congrats on a great boat. The Q series is just beautiful,especially the front end sloping the way it does. I would expect you to see maybe 44mph after she get broken in a bit and in calmer waters. Don't think you should be getting much water in the storage unless you are taking on water over the rails. The bimini should be fine at your top speed. Enjoy!!!

Tilt your motor up out of the water and turn the steering wheel towards the dock side.

There's no guarantee that the size & pitch will be stamped on the visible part of your prop, but they probably are.

Come back here and tell us what numbers you find.

Edit: Doh! 350 IO, not 350 Yam! Sorry.

Some dealers just don't understand that pontoons need a different size and pitch than monohulls.

I forgot to ask...

What speed are you hitting at max rpm?

Conversely, are you ABLE to hit max rpm, or do you get to a certain point below that and can't turn any faster??

BTW Butch...

I know that "they" tell you to idle through the no-wake zones, but the fact is that you may not have a high enough idle speed to get away with that. You might need to run it up a wee bit... maybe even a few hundred RPM over idle.

This is not something you can find in a book. You need to experiment a little bit to find an engine speed that is high enough to keep her running smooth (no lugging) but low enough to make a small enough wake that nobody will care.

If your "wake" is small enough that it basically disappears into the chop within the width of your own beam, then you'll be fine.

Also keep in mind that your prop setup can grab a lot of water. That's a GOOD thing, because it can put more power into the water as well, but at idle it can lug you down. Try trimming up to a point where you're close to the water surface as a way of reducing your effective thrust. Not TOO much... You don't want the prop blades out of the water.

BTW, that's a good engine. You didn't specify if you had the Volvo or Mercury version, but those are, at the risk of oversimplifying, Generation III Small Block Chevys. they have Vortec heads with centerbolt valve covers that pretty much eliminate oil leaks, redesigned ports for faster flow at all speeds and a bottom end good for an easy 500hp. Heck, I know a lot of guys who put 300hp nitrous shots on stock vortechs and flogged them at the dragstrip all season.

The BEST THING, especially if you have the mercruiser (I suspect you do, because you said 350, not 5.7) is that you can make SO much more power without the engine looking like it was modified.

OK, pardon me...

I have to to go stare at my Summit Racing catalog for a while.... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back