Tow/Ski Tower

Rich&Lori

Reaction score
Recommendations for a good ski tower for 2018 SSRFBXP? Purchased boat used and it did not have one from factory.

Recommendations for a good ski tower for 2018 SSRFBXP? Purchased boat used and it did not have one from factory.
I am in the same position in needing an aftermarket tower, we have a 2018 22SFX and the fence is positioned all the way back so no rear deck to bolt to. Bennington offers a pylon at $750 but I would really like a tower that I could mount some speakers to as well. Let me know if you hear of anything please.

There are a lot of them if you scroll through the various pontoon manufacturers at great lakes skippers website. Was looking for something else and saw quite a few on there and maybe one will work out for you.

I am in the same position in needing an aftermarket tower, we have a 2018 22SFX and the fence is positioned all the way back so no rear deck to bolt to. Bennington offers a pylon at $750 but I would really like a tower that I could mount some speakers to as well. Let me know if you hear of anything please.
Found a tow bar that we are very happy with. Made in Laguna Cal at H2O Sports. Direct bolt up on our 2018 SSRFBXP without any modifications. Was able to remove the two small access covers one each side of center-toon transom. I did add two aluminum c-channels on the underside to give added support. Had two adults and a small child in the tube and it didn't flex or move at all. Also makes a nice rack for the towable or hanging towels and other items to dry. See photos

Attachments

• Towbar 2.jpg
    Towbar 2.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 82
  • towbar three.jpg
    towbar three.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 82
  • towbar.jpg
    towbar.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 80
I would go with a Turbo Swing. That’s what I had on my last Bennington and it is also on my new one. Check them out.

I would go with a Turbo Swing. That’s what I had on my last Bennington and it is also on my new one. Check them out.
A good product for sure. We looked closely at the Turbo Swing and have used them before. Ended up that we just like the extra hand rail, rack storage of the tower we installed. It also serves as a great place to slide to towable so it doesn't take up interior deck space when not in use. can't go wrong with either.

I do like the look of the h2o sports version but if you read on it they specifically say for skiing or wakeboard only. Does a tube put that much more pressure on one? Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks all it will go on a '21 22ssrcx

I do like the look of the h2o sports version but if you read on it they specifically say for skiing or wakeboard only. Does a tube put that much more pressure on one? Anyone have any other recommendations? Thanks all it will go on a '21 22ssrcx

Tubes actually create SIGNIFICATNLY more drag. Hence, the various ratings for tow bars, turbo swings, pylons, etc... Not to say it wont handle it well. Might depend more on “how it is mounted and what it is mounted to” than the actually h2o. Just through wood flooring, or secured to metal cross members/frame.

Anyway, we got the Turbo Swing for 2 main reasons, and one of them was the tow strength rating: it’s actually rated for towing a tube. That said, I‘m sure we would have been fine going in other directions as most people do.

Tubes actually create SIGNIFICATNLY more drag. Hence, the various ratings for tow bars, turbo swings, pylons, etc... Not to say it wont handle it well. Might depend more on “how it is mounted and what it is mounted to”
Another big factor is the driver.
I've seen 2 ski/tow bars fail. Both occasions involved whipping and getting big slack and NOT backing off the throttle.
Idiots could wreck an anvil given the chance.
Don't drive like a moron & you'll be just fine

If it’s not rated for towing tubes, I would stay away personally, that’s why I went with Turbo Swing. Two main reasons are it doesn’t take any deck space and it’s rated for tubes. I do not want something to break and cause an injury to a kid, I would feel horrible if that happened knowing that I was using something not rated to tubes. You can find some pylons rated for tubes but from what my dealer quoted they were much more money then a Turbo Swing. I loved my prior Turbo Swing so it was an easy choice for me. If you do install a pylon rated for tubes make sure you secure it to the frame not just the floor.

Last edited:
I have purchased both of them and have yet to install either, the aerial tow bar looks very similar to the one you have and stated not for tubing but we wanted it for boarding and mostly for a handrail, we bought the turbo swing because we plan on pulling a tube.

When I asked my dealer about the Ski Pylon Capacity (26LX), he stated after calling Bennington that the load capacity was 2,500lbs. Certainly enough to pull a 3 person tube!?

When I asked my dealer about the Ski Pylon Capacity (26LX), he stated after calling Bennington that the load capacity was 2,500lbs. Certainly enough to pull a 3 person tube!?
The question you need to ask is if it’s rated for pulling tubes, not the load rating. Hopefully it is!

Here is the hidden consideration when getting a tow bar, pylon, Turbo Swing, etc... for towing a tube: IF the tow structure is not RATED for towing a tube, and there is any sort of break/malfunction while tubing from it, boat insurance does not cover the damage or injury.

Now, any sort of problem is unlikely with most of these tow structures. However, that small little detail was the decisive factor in us going with the Turbo Swing vs. a Tow Bar. For our boat in 2017, a tube rated pylon was not an option with our model & layout, and there were no OEM tube rated ski tow bar options for our model/layout/hull. That led us to going with the Turbo Swing - it was tube rated, and thus covered by insurance, but also available as an option at the time of our order.

I recommend looking into that key detail when spec’ing up a boat. I am a “cover my a$$” kind of person. I hope for the best, but try to always be prepared for the worst.

Call dealer today, the told me it would be fine to use a 3 person tube because the pylon is rated for 600 lbs!
I guess I will verify that this summer

Back