Tow vehicle to consider!

Dewey643

Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right forum/section to address this,...but I also need to consider a tow vehicle. I'm looking at the new Ford Ranger with the 2.3L EcoBoost engine. Ford says that with the correct tow package,it should be able to tow close to 7,000 lbs. I have my reservations about towing that much weight with a 4 cyl. engine,even if it is turbocharged. I'm thinking I MIGHT be better off with an F-150 w/3.3L V6,or 5.0L V8,...if I go F-150,...I thinking going used as NEW trucks seem so insanely expensive these days,...even your bottom line 2WD XL regular cab models. I've also considered a RAM 1500 2WD with the 3.6L V6. I don't need a truck with all the fancy bells and whistles,guys! Your thoughts? The pontoon,motor,and trailer may only weigh 3,000 lbs. max.,...but still,....towing with a four banger concerns me!

Not sure if this is the right forum/section to address this,...but I also need to consider a tow vehicle. I'm looking at the new Ford Ranger with the 2.3L EcoBoost engine. Ford says that with the correct tow package,it should be able to tow close to 7,000 lbs. I have my reservations about towing that much weight with a 4 cyl. engine,even if it is turbocharged. I'm thinking I MIGHT be better off with an F-150 w/3.3L V6,or 5.0L V8,...if I go F-150,...I thinking going used as NEW trucks seem so insanely expensive these days,...even your bottom line 2WD XL regular cab models. I've also considered a RAM 1500 2WD with the 3.6L V6. I don't need a truck with all the fancy bells and whistles,guys! Your thoughts? The pontoon,motor,and trailer may only weigh 3,000 lbs. max.,...but still,....towing with a four banger concerns me!
I towed for many years, first dodge then in 2014 I got an F-150 with 3.5 ecoboost. best truck I have ever owned, gets very good mileage when towing my pontoon unlike the Dodge Ram I had for many years. I would buy another ecoboost in a heart beat.

I’m a GM guy. I’ve towed my boat across country with my Silverado with the 5.3 did awesome.

Last edited:
I think you have to remember, these aren’t Pinto 4 cylinders. These things have power AND torque. A basic 2.0 turbo in the Solstice is rated 260Hp but can be tuned upwards of 300+ with no ill effects. If the manufacturer says you can tow it, I’d rest assured you can. They wouldn’t put motor warranty on the line if not. First though, I’d tell them you want to test tow your boat/trailer to see how it feels.

As I have stated to previous tow rig questions, it all depends on how, where, and for how far you will be towing. Personally, I would never feel safe / secure towing a pontoon with a short wheelbase, light, and underpowered vehicle. I didn't love how my 03 Tahoe 5.3 towed at highway speeds. It did it, but going through the incline and decline of our drive through the National Park to our lake, with the constant concern about coming around a corner and seeing a moose or deer running out on the highway, I want a vehicle with the weight and ability to stop and stop the 35' of fun I'm towing. If you've ever been in a speed wobble while towing, you'll appreciate having a solid vehicle platform to dissipate the danger. (Happened to me when towing our second boat home , in the rain , while passing someone! Moved the bunk stop the next day!!) Just my opinion.

Back