Tower speakers on a non-tower boat

I've seen the tower speakers mounted on a ski tow bar on the back of a pontoon or tritoon......not sure how well they work (sound wise) but I guess it is possible.  I'll try to grab a few pics if we make it to the lake this weekend and the boat is in it slip.

I was recently discussing this very thing with another member who had the plans. Personally, I don't think it is a suitable location. Depending on the size of speakers. Mine weigh 15lbs each, definitely too large, some are only 6.6-7lbs. Problem is that you never really know how much extra stress that much weight will put on the bimini frame and mount brackets. The constant jarring while going over waves and the side to side sway, and wind. Might cause your frame to fail prematurely, and I'm sure would also void warranty on said items. My speakers are mounted quite robustly and while hitting waves you still see some shake in the speaker. And I can easily hang on my tower, I don't think I would try to hang on my old bimini. It might also be fun to find a mount to go on square tubing since most are made for round bars. All this leaves out the functionality of the bimini and how the speakers may interact with the opening and closing of it. I'm not sure where you could mount them so you could still use your bimini boot either, pretty much just leaves the uprights, but if I remember correctly, they get pretty confined when the bimini is in trailering position so to find/make a bracket could be interesting. Who knows, maybe someone will do it and it will be easy, work well, and cause no issues. All I know is I did a Google search before and did not have one single hit, nor image of it. That tells me something. Might not be as easy to do, or have some flaw.

That was me he was talking to! I have the sport arch so mine are mounted there. I was just on a friends with two tower speakers mounted on the ski tow bar. It worked pretty well. I will post pics once mine is done!

Haha, I kept asking where you were mounting them and you never said you had the sport arch!! That's why I kept asking how and where you planned on putting them. That changes everything if you have the arch. Haha

Love to see pics of speakers on the ski tow bar....

Earmark Car audio has these JL Audio Flat Rail Mount Bullet Speaker Systems for pontoons for those with out a Tower....but they are quite pricey.  The website shows them actually mounted to a benny rail. 

Here is a picture of speakers mounted on the ski/tow bar, not mine, but found it online for people to get an idea.  The other option is to mount them on the inside of the tow bar.

Nextgen5-30-2012-004.jpg

There are after market towers you can buy for around 1700, they will ft behind your Bimini and look pretty good if you want to go that route. I am looking at them they are call f250 towers. Lot of money for speakers attachments, but everything I looked at gets in the way of the cover unless you make them so the detach after using .

There are after market towers you can buy for around 1700, they will ft behind your Bimini and look pretty good if you want to go that route. I am looking at them they are call f250 towers. Lot of money for speakers attachments, but everything I looked at gets in the way of the cover unless you make them so the detach after using .
I had been looking at them too.  Like you said a lot of cash if you're only looking to mount some speakers but if you need a tower for water sports then they're pretty cool.  B)

http://www.h2osportswarehouse.com/v/vspfiles/wakeboard-towers/wakeworks-f250-pontoon-tower.asp

The flat rail mount speakers intrigue me. I think those would work. The tower attachment is cool, but i worry that it would ruin the aesthetic of my boat. I have the wet sounds amp and sub from the factory. Dies anybody know if i would need a different amp for the rail mount tower speakers?

I am far from an audiophile. Would I need an additional amp? or can I use the one that came with the boat?

I am far from an audiophile. Would I need an additional amp? or can I use the one that came with the boat?
It really depends on how loud you want to drive them.  They may work with the simple output of the head end unit.

If you have the wetsounds package with 6 speakers they are powered by the ht4 amp. They run 4 speakers on one channel in 2 ohms and two on the other in 4 ohms. You might be able to run the towers along with the 2 speakers, but I'm not sure. I would call wetsounds and ask them they are great to deal with. That won't be the loudest but should work.

You would need an additional amp. That amp powers your 6.5" in boat speakers

Wet Sounds Icon 8s on v-lock mounts
You got it all done! How do you like them? Where did you find the mounts and how is the shaking/bouncing from waves? Do they swivel around? Good job, I think the Icons were the way to go.

Back