Towing inflatables with Sport Tower

Donn Patchen

Reaction score
Just recently purchased at 2575 QCW with Sports Tower. Reading a lot about towing and concerned about using it for tubing. Can't find any specs on the website about towing capacity related to the sports tower. We intend to tube, ski and wakeboard. Additionally, recommendations on mirrors. Any insight is appreciated.

If you ask asking about the arch ,mine had a sticker on it No Inflatables ,skis only . Mine was a 2014 ,possibly it could have change by now

I gotta believe that the strength of the tower isn't the issue. I presume that towing an inflatable from an elevated point may cause flight of the towable?

If you ask asking about the arch ,mine had a sticker on it No Inflatables ,skis only . Mine was a 2014 ,possibly it could have change by now
ours is the metal tubing form of sports tower. no stickers on it. read quite a bit online about towers not designed for towing inflatables, but the Bennington tower seems very solid. but, don't want to jeopardize it's integrity or have an issue with safety. appreciate the reply.

Attachments

• 2575 qcw sports tower.jpg
    2575 qcw sports tower.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 22
Just looked at your pic ,I had the Sport Arch ,much different

1594218189050.png

You can email Bennington with your hull ID ,they can tell you .

I gotta believe that the strength of the tower isn't the issue. I presume that towing an inflatable from an elevated point may cause flight of the towable?
Exactly right. Years ago some inflatables had a "mandatory" recall because of their flight. A few are still available privately online. Aggressive tow speed plus a gust of wind could put them more than 30 feet above the water where they commonly flip over and crash with great force (and that was from water level tow points). As one might imagine, getting dumped out at 30+' is also a problem. Make no mistake, there were people who had no opportunity to learn form that mistake....

Elevated towing is not much of a capsize risk for a pontoon, but it can be for narrow boats. I've seen elevated towing of other vessels. Have to wonder if the drivers understand that a mistake could be big trouble.... Ya' all be careful out there....

Last edited:
MAkes sense. I know pulling an adult on a slalom ski pulls is felt pulling much harder than any tube I have pulled even with 4 people on it.

MAkes sense. I know pulling an adult on a slalom ski pulls is felt pulling much harder than any tube I have pulled even with 4 people on it.
Regarding side loading, I agree 100% with this.

And their answer was....?

sorry, that would have made sense to provide the reply:

Hi Donn,
Thank you for contacting Bennington!

We do not put ratings on our tow points and the tower can be used for skiers and inflatables. However, it is not designed to pull another boat, etc. The tubing diameter is 45 MM.

Have a great day!
Team Bennington

sorry, that would have made sense to provide the reply:

Hi Donn,
Thank you for contacting Bennington!

We do not put ratings on our tow points and the tower can be used for skiers and inflatables. However, it is not designed to pull another boat, etc. The tubing diameter is 45 MM.

Have a great day!
Team Bennington

Thanks. Was curious even though we don’t have one. That is nice that it handles both. :cool:

Here is a link to a good article on tubing, skiing, and wake boarding.

Back