Towing Vehicle - do I need 4WD or RWD?

BoatDrummer

Reaction score
Hello all. For a tow vehicle I'm considering a GMC Yukon with 5.3L v8 with a towing package. The towing capacity is around 7,700-7,900 lbs. I will be pulling a 22 ft S class Bennington with 3 pontoons. From what I've read on here I think the boat and trailer weight will be 5,000-6,000 lbs. My question is do I need 4WD (4 wheel drive) or will rear wheel drive be sufficient? Did anyone buy a RWD vehicle and regret it after having trouble on the boat ramp? Thanks

4WD is usually preferred, especially if you have to launch at boat ramps in which your rear tires enter the water which can cause serious traction problems when emerging. A ramp that has sludge, silt, sand, or algae under the waterline with wet tires is like trying to drive on an upwards incline that's covered in a sheet of ice.

I don't think your boat/trailer combo is as heavy as you describe, but fuel, water and gear does add up fast. I think 5K# is a maximum figure. Do heed the ramp advice from the reply above. Know your ramps... spring, summer AND fall.

Ramp conditions are what you should be looking at. Having said that, I’ve towed my boats with RWD, my 22SX and before that a 230ssi and even wet ramps havent been a problem. Towed with a Tahoe w/5.3 and now RAM 1500, both are rwd.

Rwd is preferred when you are towing any trailer. Most Fwd models will have a lower towing rating than a comparable Rwd. The tongue weight of the boat and trailer will lower the weight applied to the front wheels decreasing traction and more importantly your stopping performance. I regularly use a Dodge Durango to trailer our 22’ Tritoon the mile from our lake house to the ramp and launch it. It does just fine for the short distance. If I need to tow it further it is placed behind a Ram 3500. The only time I have had any question that the AWD Durango wouldn’t do the job is when I have a large load. The Yukan should do a fine job. AWD would be perferred. Good luck with your choice.

Go on YouTube.
Do a search on "boat ramp fails".
Watch enough of those... you'll buy a 4WD!
... Truth is, you might not ever need it... but I sure like having mine...

20200829_224717.jpg

Never had a 4WD. But has towed 3 boats. Currently tow with a Ford Expedition. 9200 lbs. towing capacity.

Hello all. For a tow vehicle I'm considering a GMC Yukon with 5.3L v8 with a towing package. The towing capacity is around 7,700-7,900 lbs. I will be pulling a 22 ft S class Bennington with 3 pontoons. From what I've read on here I think the boat and trailer weight will be 5,000-6,000 lbs. My question is do I need 4WD (4 wheel drive) or will rear wheel drive be sufficient? Did anyone buy a RWD vehicle and regret it after having trouble on the boat ramp? Thanks
Does GMC make a rear wheel drive Yukon ? Personally if they do I would just pay the extra for All wheel drive!

Does GMC make a rear wheel drive Yukon ? Personally if they do I would just pay the extra for All wheel drive!

They sure do!

Screenshot_20200830-080652.png

Adding 4x4 is $3000 more which, to me, is cheap insurance over the long run for better ramp emergence capability. Can't argue the resale factor down the road, either...4x2 will limit the appeal to certain regions while 4x4 is nationwide.

I didn't even know they made full size pickups/SUV's without 4wd anymore.
Must be nice living someplace where the winters don't automatically dictate owning a 4 wheel drive. :)
If you wanted a 2WD in ND it would have to be special ordered and you would take a beating trying to sell it.
To you post we have a 4wd suburban. Never had to engage 4WD to get it out of the water but there were a couple times it was close with really wet concrete on the ramp/spin the wheels a little ways to get to the dry stuff.
I'd be nervous without it.

I didn't even know they made full size pickups/SUV's without 4wd anymore.
Must be nice living someplace where the winters don't automatically dictate owning a 4 wheel drive. :)
If you wanted a 2WD in ND it would have to be special ordered and you would take a beating trying to sell it.
To you post we have a 4wd suburban. Never had to engage 4WD to get it out of the water but there were a couple times it was close with really wet concrete on the ramp/spin the wheels a little ways to get to the dry stuff.
I'd be nervous without it.

1736243-Franz-Kafka-Quote-Better-to-have-and-not-need-than-to-need-and-not.jpg

They sure do!

View attachment 27829

Adding 4x4 is $3000 more which, to me, is cheap insurance over the long run for better ramp emergence capability. Can't argue the resale factor down the road, either...4x2 will limit the appeal to certain regions while 4x4 is nationwide.
Yes sir! I did some research also 4x2 commom in the Southern States.For $3000 well worth the money. Good job ! Thanks!

A timely little article I just came across specific to this post. Pictures attached to read it.

63BD3086-8F75-4805-AF51-C39DBB9F68F2.jpeg
4808F5F1-A91C-4F7B-96A4-09923C1C7EEF.jpeg

P.S. What’s up with the baby pontoon in the picture at the top of the article? Isn’t it cute. I hope it grows up to be a full sized pontoon someday. ;)

Back